Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Don't forget the other perk of bringing what you brought - you don't spend 1/2 your break waiting in line for your food
    • |
    I think it is all about making small changes and building on them. Sounds like you are on the right track!
    • |
    I used to be hooked on a lot of the "talking head" shows and would watch them every evening. That was about TWO hours per day, five days a week. Now, weeks can go by without me turning on the t.v. and I don't miss it. I do listen to a lot of podcasts, but I can plug in the earpiece and do other stuff while I'm catching up.

AGREE about the budget. I just started keeping one this month, and I am a changed person!!
    • |
    We got rid of cable about a month in a half ago and I have more time to do what I really want. Not to mention, some of my shows are online or will be released on DVD and I can watch them when I want to relax. So WTG on the letting go of a show that takes up a lot of time!
    • |
    Wow, that is a lot. But I know before we started cutting down on eating out, we could easily spend around $100/weekend. Sounds like you had some good meals though. I don't know what to say except maybe make lunch/dinner the night before a class so you're not rushed the next morning? I try to make a couple extra sandwiches when I make them for my husband, that way, if things get too hectic, one of us can just grab one on the way out the door. Good luck!
    • |
    Good luck Becky! You can do it, I have no doubt.
    • |
    There are several online sites that give you guidelines on how long raw and cooked foods should be good in the freezer.

Good luck!
    • |
    cancell those credit cards too..My ex of over 25 years now ran them up and creditors were calling me..I took these he took those but our names were still on them together. Oh and here it is about that 25 years later and I ma 1800 miles away from him and remarried for 16 years and I still get calls about him or his family and I am sure it is all about debt.

S.
    • |
    Also sorry to hear about the split, it is hard when your not truly happy and you can't figure out why. So the eating part, from your pic. you look so much better then you did a year ago from the pic. I remember then, I don't post to much just lurk lol. any way, experiment on cooking fresh veggies, little meat..take theat drive through time and go in to the grocery store head up and buy only fresh foods and NO process stuff, don't buy more then two days worth..you will have the time now to take time for YOU!!~ explore your taste buds with real food and say to yourself "self..no fast food".. Take care and be hapy!!
    • |
    Sorry to hear about your split. Cooking-make 6 things and divide them up into single servings (cool,sandwich bags,freeze.) (rip bag,throw in bowl to defrost,heat).
    I do chicken soup,pea soup,roasts,pies,stews-all sorts of things this way. Blessings to you.
    • |
    That trip sounds great!!!! Nothing unfrugal about a great cash trip. It pays to cut cost on the unimportant to you things os we can do the things important to us

Congrats on the weight loss!
    • |
    I have only been working on decluttering a couple of weeks, but .... dramatic pause .... it's awful nice to have a few horizontal surfaces that aren't crammed full of stuff. I can see the charm of simple living.
    • |
    some days can be tough
    • |
    Don't worry it will fall from the sky. You'll still have a shower. Relatives will want to gift you things. Everyone will dump their stuff at you. You'll see. Check out garage sales.
    • |
    Relax! I never thought I would have enough... of anything.

Every single thought about 'stuff' leaves your mind the second they place your child in your arms!

Babies don't care that their clothes belonged to someone else. They don't care that the blanket was handmade and has more flaws than they have fingers and toes combined... what they do care about is that there are arms wrapped around them, comforting them, feeding them...

LOVING THEM

Put the word out to friends and family as to your basic needs, but hold off on 'stuff' until you know more about your child.

You can do this!
    • |
    wow Beks your really heading in new positive directions. Impressive. DD is taking Yoga at the college and loves it too.
    • |
    Got my air set at 80, then use a couple fans for circulation.
    • |
    Funny, you should say this. My husband just bought a few books on subsistence living. He and I (fortunately) are on the same page as far as simple living is concerned. Our goal is to sell our house (I know big goal), buy a plot of land somewhere, live off the food we grow and only work part time. It's funny coming from educated people. I just finished my master's degree in environmental studies but as soon as I did, I realized that a career is not really that interesting to me anymore. I enjoy being outside, gardening, playing with my son and just being. We don't have cable anymore and only watch about 1.5 hours of TV a night (less in the summer, more in the winter). It's just not attractive anymore. I would rather watch the sunset or work in the garden.
    I recently read this article about the last cave man in Oregon. He's been living in nature for decades, constructed himself quarters in some caves in Oregon and lived off the land. He rented these places for $2 a day or $25 a month to supplement. Not that I would do that but it goes to show how little you need to survive. He was 92 years old.
    I wish you good luck. It's a great endeavor and as you can see you are not alone. You may find it tough to convince your husband. Maybe slow changes over time may convince him to join you fully on this path.
    Mea.
    • |
    Super hot here too. We had to turn our ac on too. Supposed to be 90 here today.
    Good luck on your weight loss.
    • |
    congrats on the 9 lbs, its hard to lose weight and keep it off
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast