Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Awww, I am so sorry Kelly! I hope his tummy feels better by morning. Crawl into bed with him and try and get a few winks between episodes. Good luck!
    • |
    I can relate to #5 & 11. I really enjoyed reading. It's a nice way to get to know everyone. At least a little bit.
    • |
    Your costs, not including your school bills, exceed your income by a couple hundred a month. It might be time for a larger life change or else you'll be in this position again, even if you declare bankruptcy on a portion of your debt. Can your DH find a different job? Move to a cheaper area (mom & dad)? Sell your new car and get an old one or better yet carpool and loose the car? How about eliminating the phone and the internet? Get a part-time job to supplement your hubby's or make stuff to sell? I know it's not fun but we had to do that when we were on "super save" to get out of debts. Also, there are ways to lower your food budget too! There is a thread on here somewhere of a mom who is feeding her family of 5 for under 200$ a month and her kids are older than ours

It is SO hard to make huge changes. "Super Save" is a painful way to live, but if it is temporary you can really enjoy it and look back at it with a smile!
    • |
    I think here in the US you can't wipe out student loans with BK. Can you get a second job. That is what I am doing as I have had large debt.
    • |
    I am also glad he is better. It is hard to do anything but love them up when they feel bad.
    • |
    THanks Debbie.
    • |
    I am in canada, and in 2008 student loans were changed from haveing to be out of school for 10 years to make them dissapear to 7.

I feel like the person on a cartoon, with a devil on one sholder and an angel on the other......
    • |
    is it possible to file bk on student loans?

i didn't think it was, but my information could be way wrong

anyway, i have filed twice and after getting older i realized how horribly wrong it was for me

any "good" feeling i got from "getting rid of" the debt was heavily outweighed by my sense of failure and knowing i had not kept my word

especially since i should have learned my lesson the first time

we're in the hole again

apparently i still hadn't learned

and we are fighting tooth and nail even though dh just lost his job and basically we are living on my salary which is about half of what his was...so 2/3 less money coming in

bottom line, i won't be able to pay them what i was, but we will be paying something to eliminate just one at a time until dh finds a new job
    • |
    Its not the cutting back part that I am afraid of, what I am afraid of is that we only make around 11000 dollars a year......parhaps a little more now cause DH got a raise....so lets say at the most 15000 dollars.

We pay 180 dollars every two weeks for mortgage (360)

car payment is 281.25

phone: around 40

heat and light: 250-300 in winter summer around 150

car insurance is 101 now cause of the new car, we got 4 months left to pay and then we got 3 months with no payments

internet 45

I have 215 left to pay on the house insurance.

Then its the items I said the house needs. I owe a couple of small debts adding to no more then 600 dollars. Which will be paid by Feb.20.

We spend from 400-600 dollars a month on food. Thats for a family of 5.
    Updated 01-30-2009 at 10:13 PM by Gibs
    • |
    I know I am going to get flack for saying this, and it is really hard to hear I am sure... but...

Would you rob a bank? Would you shoplift? How about hold up a gas station for the contents of their cash drawer?

When you declare bankruptcy you are essentially doing the same thing. You are getting the items (school) without having to pay for them. It is stealing.

I know that cutting back is HARD, very hard! And it will be a ton of work, but you will have such a sense of accomplishment if you are able to go the route of paying everything off. Have you thought about deferment for financial hardship on one loan until you are able to get things a bit more under control? How about that house? It sounds like it is eating your money... is there a way you can save living costs. Ex: live in one room and close up the rest of the house, sell it, rent it or a room, block in the doors/windows with plywood and insulation - assuming you have at least one functional one... Can I see more details of your budget? My hubby and I were able to eliminate 20K of debt in 18 months while earning minimum wage - it was miserable, but we don't have the debt hanging over us AND we learned life lessons that are helping us now. You can do it too!!!
    • |
    I started a really long reply explaining the Dave Ramsey method, but really, if you just go to his website, daveramsey.com, it is explained a lot better there. Let me just say I don't think you should declare bankruptcy. I think you can and should try to get your finances in shape first. It really hurts you and everyone else in the long run if you walk away from a debt that you rightly should pay back.
    I started the Dave Ramsey method about 6 years ago and my husband and I paid off over 90,000 in one year! And I have not had credit card debt since then. I am still trying to finish all the steps in the Dave Ramsey plan, but I know this plan works and has worked for so many people owing a lot more money than you do. Please look into it.
    • |
    wanted to add that the mortgage and the car is not in my name at all. My name is not connected to either of those loans. The only thing that I can go bankrupt on is the student loan.

My mortgage is 43000 thats what we bought our house for 1 year ago.

I have not been making payments on the student loans, we sent away info on what we make, what we pay out etc at the beginning of January.

I have never read the dave ramsey book.

I just want a fresh start, I really wanted to be able to pay off the loans on our own, but realistically with the house, the car, our bills, and the fact that we have to put 9 new windows in this house a new door, and a new patio door, a new wood stove, and possibly a new chimney, I dont know where this money is going to come from.

The windows doors and stove and chimney HAS to be done before next winter, the T should have been done before this one, but we could not do it, put it off, not good.
    • |
    I don't know what to tell you Kelly. That is a difficult decision but do what is best for you and everything will work out. Keep your chin up girl and take your time making your choice. Sending hugz and good wishes to come your way.
    • |
    I am happy to hear that Kelly!
    • |
    Do you mean you owe 43,000 on your house, or is your house payment 430.00 a month?

I don't think you can go bankrupt on just one item? You are either declaring bankruptcy or you aren't. Are you saying you are thinking of defaulting on that loan? That will ruin your credit and they are not going to let you do that without a lot of grief.

How much are your payments on the student loans?

Have you read Your Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey?
    If not, I would HIGHLY recommend getting it at your library and reading it tonight! It is very helpful, entertaining, and uplifting. It will give you great insight as to how to get out of the mess you are in.
    • |
    Thanks everyone.
    • |
    Poor little guy. I'm glad it wasn't too serious. I'm sending good eye drop vibes for the next 7 days~~~~~~~
    • |
    Worst case stick a couple of drops in the corner and pry the eyelids open. I had screaming kids also as the drops kind of burn a little. Wash your hands.
    • |
    Hope your baby feels better soon!
    • |
    thanks so much girls.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast