Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Another comment. If your DD is more into classic clothing, I have found Ralph Lauren, Pendelton, and such for my OTHER teen -- wonderful condition and thrift store prices.
    • |
    Would your DD consider thrift store shirts? I have found many, many of the popular brands for my oldest:

Volcom
    Billabong
    Hollister
    Wet Seal
    Hurley
    Zoo York

Also, we have found t-shirts with band logos, which are probably DD's favorites. Recently, we'd had 10 minutes to thrift, and she picked out a shirt with "Long Live Rock" on it. I washed it, and, when I was folding it, realized it was from an Arrowsmith concert. She paid $1.00
    • |
    Thank-you both for you're inspiration and encouragement...

I think it's easy for us to "get lost" in the middle of all of this saving, scrounging and paying off that we forget to step back and see how much we're accomplishing but I think that we should all take the time to do this, it helps to keep us motivated to keep pushing ahead.
    • |
    Your doing great! We bent the plan to work for us also. You go!!!!!
    • |
    We dipped to pay the CC and I'm glad. We are paying for Comm. Coll. cash for 1 and the next starts in June. Gives them a year more to mature at home anyway. My kids know a S.A. 5/5. shirt feels the same as an old navy shirt. And may even be from there.lol.
    Go baby go!!
    • |
    Thanks ladies for all of your insight & advice. I appreciate you taking the time to share with me.

I'll keep everyone posted as to the decision we make, but whatever it is, it won't be anytime in the immediate future.

(((((Hugs)))))
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by gapeach
    I too am a Navy wife, albeit a retired Navy wife. I always worried about my husband when he was deployed but I learned to put my faith first and he always came home! My suggestion is to think it thru and list all the pros and cons and weigh them carefully.

Nice to 'meet' another retired Navy wife!

As for the pros & cons, that's exactly my plan.
    He hasn't brought it up or mentioned it again, so right now I'm hoping he's in his 'cooling off' period and allowing himself to take a step back and think through things a bit more clearly.

But we'll see.
    • |
    Way to go for being in control of your finances and that is exactly why you are feeling so at peace.

You are right....sometimes money isn't everything. Make sure you and Mike talk it over carefully. Hugs to both of you.
    • |
    I too am a Navy wife, albeit a retired Navy wife. I always worried about my husband when he was deployed but I learned to put my faith first and he always came home! My suggestion is to think it thru and list all the pros and cons and weigh them carefully.
    • |
    It's amazing how focusing on our finances can make us feel so at peace. I felt the same way when I finally started getting a handle on our financial situation.

I'm sure you and your husband will decide what's best for you but I would be too nervous to agree to letting my husband go over there. The money would be nice but at what cost? Of course, I'm a chicken when it comes to taking risks so I'm not sure I'm the best to throw my opinion around about the opportunity.
    • |
    Every time you make a payment even when it seems like you will never see the end really does make a real difference.

Debt stinks--I KNOW boy do I know....

Keep it up because you are doing great.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat
    Good going! That's great you are under the $3000 mark! Congrats.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Debbie!
    I cannot wait until that gosh darned debt is gone!!!!
    • |
    Good going! That's great you are under the $3000 mark! Congrats.
    • |
    sounds like your on track, great going on the system. if it works for you keep on trucking
    • |
    Thanks for the link! The zippered pouches do sound like a great idea!

Oh, you're welcome! I was hoping that it might help someone else.
    If you have a Dollar General store close by, they have them for $1.00 a piece.

I ended up buying 6 yesterday, it's all they had, one in every color.
    I still need 2 more though, so I'll have to wait until they get some more put out.

I'll be taking back those manila envelopes that I posted about buying at Wal-mart. Thankfully I hadn't used/written on any of them.
    They were only around $3.00, but hey! That pays for 3 of my zippered pouches, right?
    • |
    Thanks for the link! The zippered pouches do sound like a great idea!
    • |
    Those envelopes do look like a better idea. Thanks for sharing the video!

Yeah, I looked at one of those accordian style/coupon holder thingies, but what I didn't like was that there wouldn't be any place for me to make a quick note about the balance.

So I decided that the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sweetie) system always seems to work best for me.
    I paid somewhere in the ballpark of around $2.88 for 25, I didn't think that was too bad.

I know that D.R. sells an actual envelope system 'wallet' type thing on his website, that you can carry in your purse with you, which would be super handy, but for now, I decided to go the cheaper route.
    • |
    Those envelopes do look like a better idea. Thanks for sharing the video!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by jestagrrrl
    Love it, I use the envelopes when we go on vacation, whatever we got in the envelope is what we spend, plus i then log all the items purchased via debit and cash on the envelope, so can keep track!

It is amazing to me how weird it seems to use cash for paying for things nowadays.
    When 10 years ago, it was either writing out a check or paying with cash.

Using this cash envelope system has really caused me to watch what I spend alot more closely as well.
    Updated 06-10-2009 at 04:52 PM by cheles2kids
    • |
    Love it, I use the envelopes when we go on vacation, whatever we got in the envelope is what we spend, plus i then log all the items purchased via debit and cash on the envelope, so can keep track!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast