Frugal Village Forums - Creative Call - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Creative Call

1. It's official!

by , 07-05-2014 at 11:24 AM (Creative Call)
    We signed the dotted line for the kitchen cabinets and countertop. Total cost will be about $9000, half of which we already put down in a deposit. We also bought a dishwasher and range hood, for $1100. Now all we need to do is buy the backsplash tile and decide on the flooring. August will be an expensive month!

On top of that we received a dental treatment plan for myself for $6500!!! I about fainted. Insurance will only cover $2500. I am looking for a second opinion from ...
  2. I'm Back!

by , 06-25-2014 at 09:22 PM (Creative Call)
    Sorry for the long absence everyone. I had a slight problem with my heart over the winter months and now sport a brand new piece of equipment called a pacemaker. I feel much better now. However other areas in my life have suffered.

What are we up to these days?

We have embarked on a kitchen renovation. Contractor is signed up to come mid-August to start ripping things out. I am packing up dining room stuff to make room for kitchen stuff as it is our makeshift kitchen ...
  3. November Update

by , 11-04-2013 at 07:19 PM (Creative Call)
    It has been a busy month. I have been busy rug hooking for an upcoming sale.

I spoke to my accountant about DreamsTime and HubPages and decided not to do them. I am Canadian and would have to file US Income Taxes to get the advantage of a tax treaty between the US and Canada. Filing a US return from Canada costs $800-1000 according to my accountant. Without filing US income tax the US government takes 25% of my earnings...even though I'm Canadian. Nuf said.

Frugal ...
  4. Renovation Tally

by , 05-09-2013 at 07:04 PM (Creative Call)
    Time to take a break and look at what needs to be done, and realistically what can be done! Hubby sat down and made his 'dream list' of renovations on the property. A quick tally and I quit adding up the dollars when I hit $75,000.00. Here's the list, including the priority we placed on them. Bear in mind this man wants to retire in two years!

#1 Priority
    • Remove tree in backyard that is causing foundation problems.
    • Repair damage to wall from shifting house.
    • Install
    Tags: renovations
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Entry Renovation Continues

by , 05-07-2013 at 08:38 PM (Creative Call)
    We spent Sunday on the renovation too. Hubby installed the light and exchanged the switches and switch plate. We also bought a door stop to fit over the door hinge and he installed it. Works great!

Monday we spent a lot of time looking over flooring options. As I pointed out to hubby, the cheapest route to go is to try and save what we currently have. BUT, if that is not possible, we need to look at alternatives. We ended up coming home with a couple samples of Pergo flooring. ...
    Tags: renovations
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast