Frugal Village Forums - Creative Call - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Creative Call

1. On a Roll

by , 04-26-2013 at 11:48 PM (Creative Call)
    I decided to go ahead with the locksmith. He quoted me 'about $100' over the phone. Came out and looked at it and sighed. Then said it would be close to $200. In the end it cost me $321CAD to fix that thing!!! The door is old and the fittings were old and all had to be replaced. I took what I could get, not what I wanted. There was only one that fit my door apparently. I will work around it. On the up side, I paid cash and it is one of the most secure doors around now!
    Tags: renovations
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Entry Renovation?

by , 04-23-2013 at 03:06 PM (Creative Call)
    The first thing to do when faced with a renovation is to ask yourself "Do I really need it?" Followed by "What is the least that can be done for the biggest visual bang and least dollar input?"

I think I just cut the cost of the entryway renovation considerably. I phoned the best locksmith in town to come look at the front door and replace the doorknob. I gave him measurements and he says they have a doorknob to fit! I am beyond ecstatic! They will come this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saving for Renovation

by , 04-17-2013 at 03:24 PM (Creative Call)
    So the move to improving our retirement situation is two pronged: save money and earn money. Hubby does a great job on the second one. Not so great on the first. I do good on the first, but not so great on the second. It's either a recipe for disaster or a recipe for success. I am being optimistic and saying a recipe for success.

First object is to find out where we are financially. I discovered we have improved our net worth by a considerable amount since last year this time. ...

Updated 04-17-2013 at 05:51 PM by peanut

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. One Thing Leads to Another

by , 04-16-2013 at 10:38 PM (Creative Call)
    You know all those retirement dreams? Well they all hinge on one thing. Fixing up this house we're in to get maximum dollars so we can sell it and move to a city near our children. The city near them is far more expensive than where we live.

Fixing up this house is no small task. We need a new kitchen, new front entry, and refinished hardwood throughout. We need a mature ash tree removed out back and the foundation checked by a structural engineer. If there are problems we have ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234