Frugal Village Forums - Mad Hen Scratches in the Dirt - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Mad Hen Scratches in the Dirt

Misadventures in gardening

1. April 1st in a California Garden

by , 04-02-2011 at 10:36 AM
    Woo hoo!! Spring is here!!

April came in on a wave of sunshine, and I celebrated by wearing shorts and getting my hands as dirty as I could before nightfall!

Lots to report this week. First, all my indoor veggies are busting out of their pots, so I experimented and put a few of them outside, to see how long they last before the squirrels find them. I am going to drag out the hardware cloth and make a few cages, to see if those help.

Second, my seeds arrived, ...
  2. March 25th in a California Garden

by , 03-25-2011 at 10:59 PM
    It has been storming EVERY day this week, starting last Friday and still going strong today. So, once again, not much done out in the yard, except for filling in the sinkholes in the driveway created by days and days of rain and years and years of ground squirrel burrows.

My indoor veggies are doing well, and my indoor tomato plant (planted last spring and moved indoors in November 2010) thinks it must be spring, because it is once again loaded with green tomatoes!!

3. March 18th in a California Garden

by , 03-19-2011 at 10:00 AM
    Very little has been going on this week. Mostly, I have been tending to my indoor veggies, waiting for the weather to turn, so I can put them outside. I gave away some of the extras, now that I am sure the ones that germinated are growing strong and healthly.

Rain and cold weather all week, including hail, so it will be a while before I get out and start gardening for real. For now, I have to satisfy my need for dirt by reading gardening books and seed packets.

The ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turkeys.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	23694  

4. March 10th in a California Garden

by , 03-13-2011 at 11:37 AM
    Oops, a few days late posting this!

Spring is definitely on its way!! The seeds I planted indoors are all sprouting and growing quickly, reminding me of how soon the day will come when I can put them outside!! Growing in my windowsill right now: cotton, zucchini, cilantro, basil, oregano, peppers (mystery), cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, scallions, and pickling cucumbers.

Out in the yard, I had a mystery occur. Something (or someone) uprooted two ...

Updated 03-14-2011 at 11:41 AM by madhen

Categories
    Mad Hen Scratches in the Dirt
  5. March 4th in a California Garden

by , 03-05-2011 at 09:44 AM
    Well, it is still winter. The sun peeps out for a few days, but then goes running off again, so no planting outside yet, although I did put in about a dozen garlic bulbs. I scattered them throughout some of my already established plantings, so they'll be like little late Easter eggs this year, if they all survive, popping up in places I am sure I will have forgotten that I planted them in!

I spent some time this week digging in my garden plot in anticipation, because my indoor seedlings ...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast