Frugal Village Forums - Ranch Diary - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Ranch Diary

A weekly journal of life on Mad Hen's ranch.

1. A week on the ranch (July 13 - 19, 2009)

by , 07-20-2009 at 11:54 AM
    A week to forget, overall.

On Monday, I had the opportunity to test my new pen. It worked beautifully, and I was able to round up all the goats in less than five minutes. The squeeze pen needs some tweaking - a board here and there to visually slow down panicky goats, so they don't end up bashing into the fence and cutting up their noses (two "casualties" on that one), but overall, it worked exactly as I hoped it would.

However, karma always demands its ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  2. A week on the ranch (July 6 - July 12, 2009)

by , 07-13-2009 at 02:39 AM
    Not much to report this week. It has been uneventful, which is sometimes a good thing!

The population of the ranch has temporarily increased by two, as I am pet-sitting this week and next. My co-worker's two little Chow Chows are hanging out until next Saturday. They are blind, but they've been on my property enough that they are very comfortable moving around it. They also use my two dogs to help them, when they get a little confused. Angel, the male, always wants to shadow ...

Updated 07-13-2009 at 02:44 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  3. A week on the ranch (June 28 - July 5, 2009)

by , 07-06-2009 at 01:44 AM
    And just like that, half the year is gone.

This week has been monopolized by the goat pen project. I am having a new pen put in, and it is taking longer than I had hoped. I know it is necessary, and I'm looking forward to the finished product, but it really annoys me to have to share my personal time, and every morning, I've got the fencing guys rolling in at 7:30a and disrupting my peace. I am very ready for them to be done, but they will be out here at least another week. ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  4. A week on the ranch (June 22 - June 28, 2009)

by , 06-29-2009 at 02:14 AM
    The week ends, and with it ends my vacation time. The summer of Mad Hen closes, and tomorrow, it is back to the grindstone.

When I decided to take a week off, I had grand intentions of doing all the things I've been putting off, getting things organized and cleaned up, and basically getting my personal life in order.

Of course, none of that happened.

Instead, I spent the week recharging my batteries and doing the things I love to do. I knitted, ...

Updated 06-29-2009 at 02:18 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  5. A week on the ranch (June 15 - June 21, 2009)

by , 06-22-2009 at 10:31 AM
    Wow, what a week! Lots to report, and I feel like I wrung this week out and used every last drop!

My sister and mother took me to lunch for my birthday on Monday (although my birthday was Wednesday). We went to a coffee shop they both like, and the waitress, noticing the bags full of presents my sister lugged in, very nicely brought me a scoop of vanilla ice cream with whipped cream and a cherry on top at the end of the meal. My mother ate most of it, but it was the thought ...

Updated 06-22-2009 at 10:37 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast