Frugal Village Forums - Ranch Diary - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Ranch Diary

A weekly journal of life on Mad Hen's ranch.

1. A week on the ranch (May 4 - May 10, 2009)

by , 05-11-2009 at 12:20 AM
    A busy, busy week on the ranch!

Rudy the Rooster has been limping for almost three weeks, so I finally gave up and took him to my avian vet. Sure enough, he has an infection in his hock, so he is on antibiotics for two weeks. He is NOT happy about being force-fed bubble-gum-flavoured amoxycillin twice daily, and I can only be happy that all my roosters are nice! Otherwise, things could have gotten very, very ugly. As it is, I just have to chase a gimpy rooster around every morning ...

Updated 05-11-2009 at 12:31 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  2. A week on the ranch (April 27 - May 3)

by , 05-04-2009 at 02:08 AM
    A productive week, overall. I worked on my garden beds and planted quite a few veggies, so I feel as if I have a good head start toward relying on my own resources this spring, at least as far as veggies/fruits are concerned. I missed out on bare root walnut trees and on potatoes, but got most of the other things I wanted to plant in the ground. I'm also eyeing covetously an olive tree at the nursery down the road. The local farmers' markets fire up this week, so I'll be buying local produce ...

Updated 05-04-2009 at 10:03 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  3. A week on the ranch (April 20 - April 26, 2009)

by , 04-27-2009 at 02:57 AM
    I am sitting here at 10:30p, listening to Supertramp, and I have to admit that it is making me melancholy. "Casual Conversations" in particular brings back some memories best left buried, so of course, I'm playing it over and over. Sometimes, it just feels good to feel bad.

So my apologies in advance if this entry isn't as upbeat as previous ones. I am just in a blue funk, and you get what you get.

I spent the afternoon at the craft store. The owner ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  4. A week on the ranch (April 13 - April 19, 2009)

by , 04-20-2009 at 10:51 AM
    Most of the week was spent, when I wasn't at work, preparing for an "open house" at the craft mall in which I have a booth. (Pics are in the "Get Your Business Up and Running" thread.) The rest of the week was the usual running about at work and at home.

I did find a home for the last of the six cockatiels that I was fostering for the county!! I was happy to find a home for the remaining two hens in a large aviary with five other tiels. I transported them ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  5. A week on the ranch (April 6 - April 12, 2009)

by , 04-13-2009 at 02:17 AM
    Whew, what a week!! Seems like I was running non-stop on a treadmill that just kept going faster! Today was the first day I had a chance to stop and take a breath, and when I look back on the week, it is a huge blur of activity, not much of it fun!

Another storm came through on Tuesday and stuck around until Friday morning. Lots of rain and cold weather, and the poor animals just tried to stay dry and wait it out. I knew how they felt!! The chicks did great, though, and seemed ...

Updated 04-13-2009 at 02:18 AM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast