Frugal Village Forums - Ranch Diary - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Ranch Diary

A weekly journal of life on Mad Hen's ranch.

1. A week on the ranch (February 23 - March 1)

by , 03-01-2009 at 09:56 PM
    And in the blink of an eye, another month is gone, and no getting it back.

My week started on a hectic but happy note: my chicks arrived from Murray McMurray. I just moved them into larger quarters tonight, so as I'm typing this, they are snuggled together on their blanket, warm and dry and safe under their heat lamp, while the wolf of winter howls around the doors, trying to find a way in. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, or if any of them will eventually fall prey to a bobcat ...

Updated 03-01-2009 at 09:58 PM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  2. A week on the ranch (February 16 - February 22)

by , 02-23-2009 at 10:40 AM
    It is funny. I think of a week as a very short period of time, but when I look at the dates above, I realize that each day was full of events, good and bad; that some days were a struggle to get through, and some flew by; and that a week can be a very long time, if you stop and appreciate each day as it passes.

This week felt like a full one, although in reality, it probably wasn't any more busy than most. Most of the week was typical February weather: rain, rain, rain. The good ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  3. A week on the ranch (February 09 - February 15)

by , 02-16-2009 at 12:12 AM
    Another week of sickness. At least I found out what is wrong with me: mycoplasma pneumonia (walking pneumonia) and a virus that is causing an inner ear imbalance. I am on a bunch of meds and just waiting it out.

SNOW!!! We had snow this week!! It is not common where I live, as I'm at about 1500 elevation, which is below the snowline. So it was fun to wake up to a white landscape, and a gentle snow still falling most of the morning. By afternoon, the sun was out, and the snow ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  4. A week on the ranch (February 02 - February 08)

by , 02-09-2009 at 12:14 AM
    Another week of extremes for me. The weather started out like spring, and I am listening to the lightning and rain pouring down as I type this entry. I spent last Sunday enjoying my home and my new resident bunny, then I jumped in my car and drove to the bay area to arrest a drug dealer or two, then back home and on the couch to recover from a cold that won't go away. Today, I felt like I had come full circle again, as I sat with Polly this morning, grooming her fluffy coat, smelling the wonderful ...

Updated 02-15-2009 at 11:58 PM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
  5. A week on the ranch (January 26 - February 1)

by , 02-02-2009 at 12:37 AM
    And just like that, the first month of the year is gone. So fast, and now it will never ever be January 2009 again.

This week marked the arrival of Polly, the angora rabbit. She is the first of hopefully four or five rabbits I hope to ultimately keep for their wool. She showed up yesterday (well, actually I drove five hours round-trip to get her), and we spent today getting acquainted. She is a beautiful English angora, ruby-eyed white (REW) with a sweet personality, but just enough ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary