Frugal Village Forums - Ranch Diary - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Ranch Diary

A weekly journal of life on Mad Hen's ranch.

1. A week on the ranch (September 21 - 27, 2009)

by , 09-28-2009 at 12:41 AM
    After a teasing little hint of autumn, summer slammed back down, and the heat has been in the high 90's or above every day this week. The weatherman promises cooler temps starting tomorrow, which is about twelve hours too far away for me right now!!

On the animal front, still lots of activity. I woke up Thursday morning to find Daisy the budgie bloody and battered, and Dawn the budgie with blood all over her chin. It turns out that Dawn suddenly attacked Daisy, probably Wednesday. ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  2. A week on the ranch (September 14 -20, 2009)

by , 09-21-2009 at 10:55 AM
    Another week flies by, and summer seems to have returned to roost for a while. It has been over 100F for days now, with just a small break every evening when it cools off just enough to allow me to sleep. It has been 95F and above INSIDE the house, and I have been turning on the A/C for the birds and the dogs, just to keep them from melting!

Lots of bird drama this week. I wrote, many months ago, about Daisy the Budgie and her broken leg. Well, I'm starting to think this bird ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  3. A week on the ranch (September 7 -13, 2009)

by , 09-13-2009 at 11:52 PM
    This week brought two new lives to the ranch, one by chance and one by choice. The first was a baby zebra finch that I found in my aviary. The parents had tucked her away, and I accidentally destroyed their nest while cleaning up. They wouldn't accept her back, so I am hand-feeding her. Luckily, she is already a couple of weeks old, so it shouldn't be TOO tough. The second was a baby lionhead bunny, who I have named Ariel. I am always much happier with two of any particular animal, because ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  4. A week on the ranch (September 1 - September 6, 2009)

by , 09-07-2009 at 11:20 AM
    The beginning of September marked the beginning of autumn on the ranch. Leaves are starting to turn and fall; the oak trees are dropping acorns down to hungry goats below; the evenings are becoming cool, and I awake in the morning looking forward to a hot cup of coffee.

A trip to the doctor at the beginning of the week disclosed that I have two herniated disks, as well as degenerative OA in three more of my lumbar disks. I was prescribed a TENS machine, and after some experimentation, ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  5. A week on the ranch (August 24 - August 30, 2009)

by , 08-31-2009 at 12:49 PM
    Wow, it has been a crappy week. Looking forward to a better one.

This week started with a friend of mine learning that his mother's colon cancer is back and is basically now terminal. The surgeon finally told her on Wednesday (which also happened to be her birthday) that she has, at most, three months left, so my friend is down in the bay area with her, arranging for hospice.

I am consequently longterm pet-sitting two more dogs, both Chows, very sweet, but both are ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast