Frugal Village Forums - Ranch Diary - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Ranch Diary

A weekly journal of life on Mad Hen's ranch.

1. A week on the ranch (August 17 - 23, 2009)

by , 08-24-2009 at 03:10 AM
    Relatively quiet week, nothing exciting to report, and I'll keep this one short, because I received some bad news tonight, so I'm not really in the right frame of mind to ramble on.

A very good friend of mine called because his mother, who has been fighting colon cancer, was rushed to the hospital today, and the cancer has pretty much taken over her entire body. The doctor gives her a few weeks to a few months to live. She is almost 80 (Her 79th birthday is actually this Wednesday.), ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  2. A week on the ranch (August 10 - August 16, 2009)

by , 08-17-2009 at 01:16 AM
    Wow, life can certainly be a roller-coaster sometimes, and if I have never mentioned it before, I HATE roller-coasters!

The week started with dead and dying chickens, evidence that my neighbor's dog was still getting onto my property. Then we swept even further down on Tuesday, when I TRAPPED his dog, and he barged onto my property to retrieve it. I have never made a citizen's arrest before, but I basically made two that day: one for trespassing and one for having a dangerous dog at ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  3. A week on the ranch (August 3- August 9, 2009)

by , 08-09-2009 at 11:59 PM
    The week started off with a bang, and not a good one. I have been losing chickens, but couldn't figure out what was killing them. I thought maybe a skunk, as I could smell one occasionally. Well, Monday morning I awoke to the sound of the chickens and the guineas in a panic. I went down to the coop to find one dead chicken, with no skunk in sight. Then I looked around, and there was my neighbor's dog - with a chicken in its mouth. The dog dropped the hen, who was still alive, and came up to ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  4. A week on the ranch (July 27 - August 2, 2009)

by , 08-03-2009 at 12:56 AM
    Life on the ranch has slowed down considerably, thanks to a back injury that has me operating at less than 100% capacity. Nevertheless, life goes on: animals need to be fed; plants need to be watered; household chores pile up around me and dare me to take a day off. I am told by my physical therapist that it can take eight weeks before I start seeing any improvement in the pain, and months before I am back to normal, so I won't bore you every week with my whining. Just assume everything is status ...
    Categories
    Ranch Diary
  5. A week on the ranch (July 20 - July 26, 2009)

by , 07-27-2009 at 01:30 AM
    Another less than great week. My back is still out, so I have been operating at about 30%.

The worst thing that happened this week, and I'll just get it out of the way, was that Colton the bunny died. I found him in the morning, right after losing both the chicken and a finch last week. Polly was very traumatized. I've moved her upstairs with me, and she is slowly getting back to her old self, but I feel badly for her. She had become quite fond of Colton (as had I), and we both miss ...

Updated 07-27-2009 at 12:15 PM by madhen

Categories
    Ranch Diary
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast