Frugal Village Forums - Uncategorized - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Harvest time

by , 09-30-2010 at 08:44 AM (Life and times on a Iowa farm)
    Well harvest is in full swing and things are going good. The asian beetles are horrible this year too! We rented a second combine so things should go faster out there and I won't have as many days taking meals out to the field.

Got rid of all the rabbits and about 125 chickens the other day, its kinda nice not having all those animals to worry about feeding and watering. DS got two more calves next year to show, and the others are now in your local supermarket. All the baby calves ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Babies and spring time

by , 05-10-2010 at 09:15 AM (Life and times on a Iowa farm)
    Well our kid's heifers are having babies, the geese even hatched some eggs out, there are baby ducks waddling around too, and found some baby kittens in the barn too, and lets not forget those rabbits some of those too.

I really like to watch the baby calves play with each other, the first ones born were twins, Alfalfa and Darla...then the hereford Rosie..the other hereford no name yet...and 1 due any time now and 1 next month.

The chickens are growing fast too, and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Planting has begone

by , 04-20-2010 at 08:50 AM (Life and times on a Iowa farm)
    The farmers are planting and all is going good for us in the field too. With a new sprayer and planter things are moving at record pace for us. For me that would mean a little less meals to the fields (yeah) DS at 12 has been discing in the fields this year all by himself too, the other day cattle got out and got him and DH from their tracors, but DH told us to go to town and geet burgers and he handled the cattle part, well I told DS that he would not be going back to the tractor and he looked ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Beaker has a new mom

by , 04-19-2010 at 08:57 AM (Life and times on a Iowa farm)
    Again this winter the geese thought it was important to lay their eggs while the temps. were below freezing. So I gathered their eggs the best I could be for the weather got to them. I got alot! Put them in the incubators and only had 1 hatch, that was on April 1st. So I felt bad for the little guy and put hime with a goose that has been sitting on her nest with no luck either, it took her a day to really start liking him and later that night hediscovered how her warm body felt better then ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Brown

by , 03-27-2010 at 09:52 AM (Life and times on a Iowa farm)
    As I sit here in our computer room and look out the window there must be a hundred shades of brown out there, so that means no snow!! Well not counting the big drifts or piles that were pushed up to make paths. And to think in a month and a half it will be a 100 shades of green!! Temps have been in the 40's and a few times just reaching 50.

Its been a good feeling being able to get outside and do some work, with the yard, animals and just cleaning up. I am not foward to raking ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast