White Sandwich bread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default White Sandwich bread

White Sandwich bread

Recipe Description
    Dh loves this for sandwiches! It is great with jam too!
    Preparation Steps:Level of Difficulty:
    Easy
    Time Needed:
    2 hours 30 minutes (includes rising time)
    Ingredients:
    3 cups lukewarm water
    1/2 cup plus 1 tsp white sugar
    2 TBS yeast (or 2 packets)
    1 TBS salt
    1/2 cup butter (or shortening or salad oil)
    10 cups of flour
    Serves:
    3 loaves
    Directions:
    In a large warmed bowl, add 1 cup lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon white sugar and dissolve yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir until yeast is dissolved. Then stir in 2 cups lukewarm water, 1/2 cup white sugar, salt, and butter. Beat ingredients, then stir in 9 cups of flour, adding them one cup at a time.

Once added, use additional cup of flour to flour countertop surface for kneading. Knead until dough becomes elastic, this should take several minutes (took me about 4-5 minutes).

After kneading, put the dough in a large oiled bowl and flip to coat both sides with oil. Loosely cover bowl with plastic wrap, and place in a warm place. Let it rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough to remove air bubbles and divide into 3 loaves. Shape into loafs and put into greased loaf pans. Cover pans with dishtowels and place in a warm area for another hour. Loaves should double in size. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

It is ready when it turns golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped! Remove from pans and cool on a cooling rack!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for this recipe. It sounds very easy and good too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been making by own bread for the past two months and have tried several recipes for homemade bread (including the recipes that came in the bread machine manual). This one by far is the best white bread recipe I've tried. It's a firm, but still moist bread with a soft crust.

I make my bread dough in the bread machine and bake it in the oven in loaf pans. You just have to follow the mfr. instructions on the order of ingredients (wet, dry and yeast last) into the machine bucket.

Due to the smaller capacity of the bread machine bucket, you have to cut the recipe in half... but the recipe still makes 1 reg. size loaf and 1 square (9x9) pan of hamburger, hotdog or dinner rolls.

Thanks for the recipe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow, three loaves, that's some serving size!!! im gonna give this recipe a go today!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it. Wondering- what is the price of yeast pkgs. in your area?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wonderful!! I needed to make bread yesterday and decided to use your recipe...so glad I did! I do use a machine to do the hard stuff, so I cut the ingredients in half like Kim said. I ended up with one large and one small loaf. And the crust is fantastic! Very sturdy and I think will hold up to peanut butter and fluff sandwiches better than mine. I like the smaller loaf size because it will be better for my son. (he usually eats his sandwiches on a hamburger bun). Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I will use it from now on!
    Christina

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

This does sound like a great recipe and easy too.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much! I have made this recipe about 20 times now and it is wonderful I also make the dough in the bread machine, as a matter of fact I have some in there now for rolls later. I have searched long and hard for the "right" white breaf recipe and I just wanted to say thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it. Wondering- what is the price of yeast pkgs. in your area?
    Don't buy little packets of yeast if you can help it; they are totally overpriced. If you have a Costco or Sam's membership you can buy yeast in bulk; store some in a little jar in the fridge and the rest airtight in the freezer; it will not 'die' there; you just need to bring it down to room temperature before using it.

If you don't have a membership to a warehouse store, do you have a non-membership bulk store like Smart and Final near you? That's where I got my yeast last time.

If nothing else, the small glass jars of yeast are cheaper than the packets, but still way overpriced. I think the jars, with just a few ounces of yeast sell for $4 or $5 in our grocery stores yet I got a full pound of yeast at Smart and Final for not much more than that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made this today, and THANK YOU!!!

They turned out wonderful!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made your bread today and it is absolutely wonderful!! It reminds me of my grandma's bread and I haven't had that since she passed back in 1976! Everyone LOVED IT and company who happened to stop by while it was baking was overwhelmed by the delicious smell. Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really need to try this. Maybe tomorrow if I'm motivated

Registered User gardening momma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by xtena View Post
    Don't buy little packets of yeast if you can help it; they are totally overpriced. If you have a Costco or Sam's membership you can buy yeast in bulk; store some in a little jar in the fridge and the rest airtight in the freezer; it will not 'die' there; you just need to bring it down to room temperature before using it.

If you don't have a membership to a warehouse store, do you have a non-membership bulk store like Smart and Final near you? That's where I got my yeast last time.

If nothing else, the small glass jars of yeast are cheaper than the packets, but still way overpriced. I think the jars, with just a few ounces of yeast sell for $4 or $5 in our grocery stores yet I got a full pound of yeast at Smart and Final for not much more than that.
    I get my yeast in jars, but I'll probably start making bread more often. I don't have a club membership, or a Smart and Final store. Any other ideas where to get yeast in bulk? I have Kroger, Meijer & Walmart (supercenter). Come to think of it, I might be able to get it at a large international supermarket we have here. They have a huge variety of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We tried this last night!!! YUmmy!! And it holds up to cutting and spreading peanut butter on it so well. I am printing this off and putting it in my favorite recipes binder.

Thank you .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow sounds good and easy! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast