Baked Oatmeal with Pumpkin, Apples, and Cranberries
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Baked Oatmeal with Pumpkin, Apples, and Cranberries

Here's a great recipe for breakfast. It's completely decadent, but still healthy. I serve it with a couple dollops of low-fat, no sugar added vanilla yogurt. It's good enough for a dessert. I make a double-batch and cook it in a 9 x 12 Pyrex glass pan. That way I can use up the entire can of pumpkin. (Looking at the recipe before I typed it in, I realized I've been putting in the wrong amount of pumpkin. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup, and I've been using 1/2 can. Oops!

Baked Oatmeal with Pumpkin, Apples, and Cranberries

2 cups old-fashioned oats
    1/3 cup wheat germ (I've been using ground up Grape-Nuts, because that's what I have on hand)
    1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed (I've been using regular sugar - on hand)
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1.5 cups milk (I've used vanilla soymilk and vanilla almond milk - either are great)
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1.5 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup apple, chopped
    1 cup walnuts, chopped (I use a nut and dried fruit blend from the bulk bin in the store - it was cheaper)

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and cranberries. Mix the ingredients together.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, melted butter, egg and vanilla, whisking until smooth.

4. Add the apple and 1/2 the nut mixture, and combine with dry ingredients.

5. Spread into the baking dish, then sprinkle with the rest of the nut mixture.

6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until set in the center.

Enjoy!

I'd love to hear if someone tries it, and how you liked it.

Lara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it. I love anything with pumpkin, I love oatmeal, apples are OK in my book but this might be a great way for me to get some. And I add dried cranberries to lots of things so it sound like a winner to me. I'll let you know...
    Any idea on how many servings? Since it's just me...or can it be frozen? Or will I have to eat it all at one time?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sue, I just cut it up in the Pyrex pan. Maybe the size of a large brownie? A couple of inches by a couple of inches? That, coupled with the yogurt, should make for a nice breakfast. I think the guys here get three servings from the width of a 9 x 12 pan. I hope you like it.

I've never tried to freeze it. I just cover with foil and put in the fridge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll let you know how it works out. I need quick, easy, and hearty things to eat in the morning. And even in the evenings. Sounds so good to me with pumpkin!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, I tried this. Not bad at all and definitely a keeper. I used the Grape-Nuts, too. They were cheaper and I figured would provide a good source of fiber. They are kind of hard to crush, tho'.

The only negative I found is that it turned out to be a tad on the dry side. Not bad, but I think it would have been better if I had had some cream to pour over it but I never have cream. Next time, I might add a bit more milk. Or buy some cream. Also, I baked it an extra 7 minutes as it didn't seem done - that may have caused it to be a bit dry.

It does make a bunch - far more than I can eat in 2-3 days. I'll cut recipe in half next time. I'm also going to try freezing a small portion to see what happens.

Also, I'm wondering if this could be adapted to the crock pot. It would be ideal to be able to wake up to this tasty and fruity oatmeal blend. I was also thinking it would be great to take as one of those work carry-in things they have periodically - instead of the nutritionally devoid and fat/sugar laden bagels an donuts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SueBee, do you use coffee creamer? I buy the flavored kind and use it on oatmeal. Bet the creamer would work on this dish.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I don't use coffee creamers...just 2% milk in my coffee. However, I'm glad you brought this thread up. I ate some of the leftovers for breakfast yesterday and it was actually better than when freshly baked. More moist tasting. Lara had mentioned serving with vanilla yogurt, but I just have visions of a bit of warm cream poured over it. Mmmmm....
    I haven't tried the piece I put in the freezer, but if it turns out well, this will likely become a staple for me. So good, so filling, and nutritious, too!