I need advice

Thread: I need advice

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I need advice

Here is our situation,
    My DD who just turned 6 is in SK French Immersion. The Immersion isn't the problem I spoke with the teacher and my daughters OT at great length and they said the her comprehension is one of the strongest in the class.
    So here is the issue for two years I have been told my daughter has attention problems, I have said how can you tell she is only four, she is only 5 well now she is 6 and I am starting to see the problems. We filled out the forum the Dr's gave us the pre diagnostic ADD/ADHD test. We filled one out, the teacher and the daycare. The daycare was fine, home wasn't so bad, but school was awful. I get notes home almost weekly about how she is not focusing or getting her work done. It has got to the point that other kids don't want to be in groups with her, because her lack of focus distracts them and they don't get there work done. Or she won't stop talking. Her work is not getting done. She says she tries really hard to be good and focus but sometimes she just can't. At home it takes forever to get anything done because for example you ask her to go put her shoes on and she gets distracted. You have to ask her many many times or stand right over her and make sure she does it but even that can take awhile because she doesn't stop talking. Home work is a battle etc. She can focus on things she likes like nature shows, documentary's playing.
    She also has some fine motor skill problems. So she sees and OT once a month and we work with her at home. It is getting better she can spell her name now and you know what it says. But her fine motor skills are that of a 4 year old but her memory and understanding of math and science etc is that of an 8 year old. I try to help her and am reading everything I can on ADD attention problems, Fine motor skill problems etc. But I don't' even get a pre-phone interview to meet the psychologist until mid June. Her self esteem is starting to get affected as she has come home and said I am not as smart as the other kids, or I am stupid Which is not true!
    I need any ideas on how to help her focus, how to just help her. I am meeting with her teacher and OT sometime but I have no idea when because it all depends on the OT's availability. I don't know if it is ADD or not, but what ever the issue I just don't want to watch her suffer anymore, or have anymore tears about how she is not smart.
    Thanks in Advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default some of my ADD answers

My oldest is 16 almost 17 but when he was at the end of grade 2 had enough and he was diagonsed with ADHD. Before I took him to the pedriatricain for this diagnose i looked at all the side affects of meds, the prcies of name and non name, and the amounts of how many times I would be giving my child meds. because at the time I thought thats all there was.
    But after all was said and done and I know it works for some but in the long run of constantly adding more meds, decreasing the amounts of how many times per day, 3x to once per day. And not seeing any major results I had enough. this was changing his diet too. Plus the long term side affects for meds arent good.
    What Ive learned from having a ADHD(hyper plus loss of attention) and from others who have ADD (lost of attention) that going natural was the best way for us.
    I went to health store and Got ""udo of oil" .
    It was the best investment for his overall health and mind.
    Kids who have ADD what Ive learned that when the'yre learning ther brain missfires and these connections are not all going where ther suppose to be.synaposes. So the chemicals arent there to properly work. So I found by using the omega's 3. 6.9. which are exclellent for the brain did that for him.
    The first 2-3 days we flushed him out totally stayed home. after that gave the amount we were told to give him per pund and height.
    after 1 week i seen a major differnece. 2 weeks later teachers told me not the same kid!!!! Hisnattention span was great and yes he still had ADHD but the differnce in gettinga ll good marks and teachers not constantkly growling him .
    Now thats only my results but it really worked for us.

I found found with my son that he craves alot of carbs and Red dye(Kool Aid +fake juices stay clear of). They just make them more hyper and bounce off walls.
    And as he got older he takes some exams in in hall ways or teachers desk.
    Noise bothers alot of ADD kids, major distractions.
    If u have any questions add me as freind list ill answer what i know. Im no expert but from what Ive learned and read from books and over the net, it hepled alot. And their life style has to be regulated and made fun when their small. stickers on charts helped here.
    I hoped I helped some.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By the way Im not saying your daughter has ADD but giving her Omegas that are all natural and will help keep the pesticides we all eat from foods and help with brain function.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have an ADHD child and I am ADHD. I put him (and the other two) on a modified Feingold diet (no dyes, no corn syrup, and we avoid preservatives as much as possible). He isn't "ADHD" anymore really.

There is also a FailSafe diet also.

Omegas (3, 6, and 9) are supposed to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took the natural approach like the other posters.

Protein for breakfast is a must. Strong proteins like chicken. Eat supper for breakfast and breakfast foods for supper if the child is in love with pancakes and carby foods.

Dyes and corn syrup are killers in this house too. We now get the Mexican coke at Sam's made with real sugar instead of corn syrup. Words cannot tell you how different they act after a simple change such as this.

Our nutritionist suggested the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr Natasha Campbell-Mcbride. I strongly suggest it. It goes into all the brain connections, gut relations and the missing vitamins. Omegas are a biggie, so is a good acidophilus among others.

You may even want to get the child tested for allergies if you haven't already. We also had to do some trial and error testing ourselves at home. It seems laundry products are a big allergen (not testable by a dr). Tide, Downey and Bounce seem to top the list. Next come plug ins and various home scents.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for all the advice. We are going to try the natural approach.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thats great dear. let us know how she does when she starts this fall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Get the teacher to work out a special signal with your child to alert her to when her behavior's off task, such as the teacher tugging her ear or something small that won't alert the whole class. Relaxation exercises like taking deep breaths and counting backwards slowly from 10 could help her stay on track, too.

Kids with attention deficit issues are also very sensory. I've heard of some who like to touch pieces of silky fabric or ribbon as a comfort, and one of my grad school instructors said that she put the fuzzy side of an adhesive velcro tab under the edge of the desk, which helped kids focus because they could rub it and concentrate better.

As she gets older, the concept of "one stop shopping" will be vital. By this, I mean that one large notebook with sections may help her stay more organized than several smaller ones, and color coding her materials by subject can minimize distraction. Color coding works well at home, too, whether for shoes, chores, whatever.

Give directions in short, complete sentences; present it verbally and in written format whenever possible; and make a game of having her repeat the instructions back to you to build her retention of info and focus. Be sure to say her name periodically in discussion to make sure she is listening.

If she's doubting herself, now might be a good time to engage her in some extracurricular activities like sports, dance, martial arts, etc., to build her confidence.