Advice on summer tutoring doing it yourself.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Advice on summer tutoring doing it yourself.

I am going to do a summer tutoring program for DD 7 who is ADHD, LD. She is behind in several areas. I don't want to bore her to death this summer. When she started grade one she was at reading level 0 and know is at reading level 8. She is coming along in her printing but it is still pretty bad. Her last report card was D’s and C’s except in science and math. We talked to her teacher about maybe leaving her behind but she said at this point for herself esteem it would do more harm than good. She is beyond grade one in science and math though. So I know those are her strong points, and she can remember anything which is why it wasn't until grade one that anybody realized she couldn't read because we or the teachers would read her a story go back through point out the words but what she was doing was memorizing the books. She also loves science documentaries.
    So I guess my question is for anyone who has done a summer tutoring program for their child what sort of things did you find worked, or didn't work? What kind of things would you suggest? How much time a day did you spend on it? Or did you break it up throughout the day?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sneak it in... and have a 'formal' lesson.

Summer is suppose to be fun and 'free from learning'. By sneaking it in too, she won't realize she's been doing it all along.

Focusing only on reading, comprehension and penmanship ---

The libraries usually have some sort of themed summer reading program.

National Amusements Movie Theaters usually have a book report = free movie deal called Bookworm Wednesdays. She would have to read and write... knowing she would get to see a movie inspired Diva to do them.

Find her a pen-pal -- even if it's Grandma or Aunty Somebody.

Have her write a summer journal or lapbook with everything from "what I did today" to "what birds/flowers/people/aliens I saw"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the sneak it in. lol, as well as the pen pal. and the summer journal.

We live 45 mins from the city and I don't drive. So we can't get to any library programs on certian days. My husband was going to try and take most of the fridays off in the summer so we would go to town those days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Computer games are fun too. They are a great way to sneak it in.

There are many education games/software that you can buy but there are lots of the web too.

Learn to Read with phonics ( Starfall) is was one of my kids favorites when they were at home.

PBS has a wonderful site PBS KIDS: Educational Games, Videos and Activities For Kids!. My daughter's favorite one is the electric company. The Electric Company This one has lots of phonic fun.

My daughter's school text books have online games and lessons that they did in class. The teacher gave the kids the website and password so they could play them at home. My daughter loves to play these games. So check with the school and see if they have this.

I'll try to remember/find some more when I have time if you or anyone is interested.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would get a second opinion about keeping her back a grade, maybe from her doctor or counsellor. I don't think there is anything worse for self esteem than sitting in a classroom where you can't keep up with what it being taught.

My daughter is the opposite - strong language, poor math - she was pushed through elementary school and just tuned out everything that was taught past the level that she understood. Now she is going into grade twelve, with what I would estimate to be about a grade two understanding of math and science. She is failing compulsory grade ten science right now, for the 4th time. Her finishing high school is little more than a fantasy for us. She is convinced she is stupid because she's been sitting in classrooms for the past ten years where she didn't know what was going on, I wish we'd have had her held back early on to give her a chance to catch up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also, perhaps there is a way to help her focus better. Have you tried a diet change? I found that my oldest could not focus with sulfites in her diet, take the out and she is fine, It may be something different for your child. I actually do this type of thing informally with my 6 year old. I "let her play" on starfall.com. I let her make grocery lists or copy words from somewhere.

Use her strengths to help with her weaknesses. Go to the library and get early reader science books or find out an animal she is interested in and help her to put her own book together. Perhaps there are animals or insects common in your area and she could take some pictures. Make word based math problems that she can try to read.

Have a word of the day. Pick a word, have your daughter make up as many sentences as she can about the word, have her write it a few times, and help her to write a sentence or two. Or have a letter of the day and have her write down as many things as she can find around the house with that letter.

Journal, but give science based topics (e.g. If Iwere an astronaut, I would.... or Pretend you are a duck. What would you spend your day doing?

Write special messages on the fridge and ask that she write back.

scavenger hunt with written clues she must read.

use letter magnets.

Get a list of what she is expected to know.

get a book on reading activities.

You can do this!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have her write out the menus for the week , grocery lists job chores - this will help her penmanship
    Even if you have to write the list first - she will feel like she is helping the house and not doing "schoolwork"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks this are all great ideas that I can use.