When do you consider switching psychiatrists for your child?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default When do you consider switching psychiatrists for your child?

Dd is autistic and has had a long history of aggression. It has become a lot worse since she developed seizures 1 1/2 years ago. Yesterday we had to take her to the ER because she was out of control. The ER was unable to consult with her psychiatrist because there was no one on call for her. So they had to consult with another doctor. In the process of deciding what to do we learned that dd is taking a low dose of a new medication that was prescribed for her by a fill-in while her regular doctor was on vacation over the holidays. Her doctor told us that she was on a high dose of that and couldn't go up any when we updated her on the changes in dd's meds. Dd is taking 1 mg, the ER doctor told us she could take as much as 5 mg.

Dd's doctor has never been willing to admit her for inpatient medication adjustments regardless of dd's level of aggression (which has included smashing walls, injuring herself, attacking family members, and pushing over furniture). Dd behavior got out of control recently while her doctor was on vacation. The fill-in doctors were willing to consider admitting her and prescribed a medication I'd wanted to try for her several years ago, but her doctor didn't agree to.

This has me wondering if dd would get better with another doctor. Dd's caseworker has suggested we consider switching her to one of the fill-in doctors we dealt with while her regular doctor was on vacation. They all share the same office, so I'm wondering how that would work. What would you do? This is wearing our whole family out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would most certainly consider switching.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the point when you should consider switching doctors is when you have to ask yourself if you should switch doctors! You have reached that point and beyond! It sounds like your daughter's current doctor isn't exactly invested in a plan to get her more stabilized. At the minimum, you should consult with someone for a second opinion and see how you feel afterward.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. We have an appointment tomorrow. I think if it doesn't go well, we'll be switching doctors. I hate to "fire" someone, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trust me there are a lot of doctors out there that should be fired! Hopefully you can request a change in doctor. Just because they are in the same office does not mean all the doctors have the same ideas on treating a patient. Don't worry about "firing" a doctor, your daughters health is more important than the doctors feelings. Finding a good fit for mental health between a patient and doctor can also be very subjective. What might work for one patient may not work for another patient. Unfortunately one size does not fit all. If you can ask your dd's caseworker if she has heard of other dr's or facilities in your area that clients/parents seem to enjoy/have better out comes. You may need to do some leg work and ask around for recommendations.

You are your daughters biggest advocate when it comes to mental health. Hang in there, it can take time to find the right doctor/medications but never feel obligated to stay with a doctor. Sames goes for therapist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The appointment went well. At first the doctor wasn't in favor of the new medication but after discussing what drives dd's outbursts agreed that it was the one to take. I think she just needed to make sure the medication was really the one dd needed since is addicting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to send hugs your way. My son has autism too and I know how hard it is to get a med adjustment. I would absolutely get another doctor. We had to start over with a new one this Jan since his last one actually retired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can definately understand why your doctor was hesitant to prescribe a medication that is addicting.