Anyone use pcs/pecs cards?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow Anyone use pcs/pecs cards?

I had started using flashcards initially to help improve my son's object identification. I made them myself by printing images and contact papering them. I then attended a workshop on the PECS system, which can be used for any type of speech/language impairment. Basically, it's a laminated picture that can be velcroed to a binder, board, or any velcro material. It is a communication tool. If more interested in this, let me know.

I originally had thought of making a felt board for stories etc, but can now see how a large board with velcro material could be used with PECS cards as well.

I found a vendor that sells large yardage of velcro material to make boards. 36"x56" for only $8.64. http://www.earlychildhood.com

I think this is a great tool and resource for all parents, but especially helpful for parents of speech/language impaired children.

Sara

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is an actual computer program I use called "Boardmaker", it is expensive and is used to translate words into easy to see and identify pictures. I like it a lot and many times just print out 2 -3 pictures at a time for choice making excersises, I hold up the smiley face yes in my right hand and the sad face no in my left, someone with less than perfect coordination can just grab for the choice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes! The school system has Boardmaker. I figure for at home, I can use lots of things to find images too. They will laminate pictures etc for me.

For smilies I have small smilie erasers and for no the busters sign.

Do you use the binder? Or cards alone? Just wondering how different people have tried it and what works for them. I have seen some neat little things like vests, aprons, mittens, etc. (of course my son is toddler age too so not sure about for older children) Also, do you use images or the asl sign for the cards?

Sara

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have much need for ASL, only one of my girls does some very sloppy basic sign, so what I use is generally a color boardmaker picture with the actual word written below it, the written word helps with recognition. I don't usually use the binder-too complicated for most of my clients, what I have used with a lot of good results are picture rings--putting actual photos that are laminated or picture cards onto a ring clip-similiar to a key ring. Also, those little dollar store photo albums, the kind of brag book you put in your purse, is a great way to keep them clean and handy and keep some basic ADL words available. It's a good size for little hands. Also, contact brand makes clear, it's a quick and cheap way to laminate at home. See if the school will let you print out some simple boardmaker words to use-you can then cut, paste, and color copy for different applications. If they won't provide you with, drop me a note with what words you want, I'll print them out and mail them to you. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow

Can you share with me some of the therapies your dss receives?We are currently awaiting OT evaluation, but my ds is currently only receiving ST.
    Also, if you could give me an idea how long sessions are and how frequent, I would appreciate your input.

TIA,
    Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everything mine gets is through school and I know very little about it-his mother is a control freak and works for the school district so we get very little honest information. Most of my clients at work get 30 minute sessions, 2-3 xs per week once their evals are done. If you are looking to receive OT don't be too much of a proud momma when you speak to the evaluator. I see so many parents that are genuinely excited by their child's accomplishments, then tell the OT what they can do rather than what they are lacking in, then services are denied. He has to look like he really needs services to receive them, especially for state, medicaid or insurance coverage. An OT needs to feel they can make real measurable progress to provide services. Hope this is helpful, if you have any specific OT questions, mine is in mon-fri so I can probably get you an answer.