Living with ADD ADHD a good site

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Living with ADD ADHD a good site

and one that helps others understand.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/2080/add.html

she has good links in there too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And while looking thru her links, one led me to About dot com's site on ADD/ADHD

and this article discusses the recent research on TV and ADD. http://add.about.com/cs/forparents/a/tvandadd.htm

The research raises a valid question-- and I happen to agree that the short choppy TV stuff may make ADD ADHD worse, but the dr who ran it, did NOT use good criteria, nor did he consider that kids with the disorder may be born with it, nor did he consider defining ADD/ADHD and studying kids with a clear diagnosis.

So the research is interesting and raises a valid point, that TV may contribute to the problem, but it also minimizes the problem by saying to the parent that it's largely due to TV.

Like the woman writing the critique, my ds who is now 24, was like her child as an infant. He had very little TV and still had pretty bad symptoms.

Homeschooling was a Godsend in our lives. It enabled ds to focus, to learn quietly and develop some good learning habits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank-you Margery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you guys only knew how timely this is.....

I've been diagnosed as having ADD....apparently, I'm a walking textbook case of it too...

So thanks for posting this....I actually had it bookmarked once before - I think CJ posted it??? - but have long since misplaced it....

Say a prayer for me!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Debbie, big hugs. It does run in families. I have ADD, my dad does, and so does Ds. Ds when little was ADHD now he is ADD.

The about.com site has a whole bunch of good stuff in there. I was poking thru it. There was one that talked about extremely gifted and creative women who have this disorder and the types of coping mechanisms. Really neat I'll try to find it again for you.

aha here it is: http://www.ncpamd.com/adhd.htm

and if you look down the list you will find some wonderful little articles such as this one: http://www.ncpamd.com/ADDandInvertebrates.htm where the author compares coping styles in add adults to invertebrate behaviours. Cute and funny tongue in cheek look, but some real truth.

I liked this one: http://www.ncpamd.com/Women_with_ADD.htm about women with ADD and how it affects their lives and coping. Sure explains me in the kitchen at supper time. Don't NOBODY mess with mama, I'm busy, stay outta my way, and supper will be on the table and all will be well. Just don't mess with my system!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From About dot com: http://add.about.com/cs/forwomen/a/tipswomen.htm

this article has a lot of wisdom in it. I'll quote snippets here.

1) Accept your limitations. Much of the stress placed on women is internal. They feel they must keep a perfect house, have dinner on the table at the right time, have everything under control at all times. If you are unable to accomplish all you set out to do today, accept that tomorrow is another day, with another opportunity to complete what needs to be done.

2) Build a support system. Although women are traditionally placed in the position of being the “support system” for the family, as an ADD woman, it is important to have your own support system in place. Join a local support group, find an online group (join in discussions on our forum)

3) Set priorities each day. If your priority is to spend time with your children, then don’t worry about how the house looks or if the laundry is done. If your priority is to make sure all of the children make it to practice/dance/lessons, then don’t worry about picking up the dry cleaning along the way. Keep focused on your priority for that day.

4) Find time for yourself. It is important to take a break and have some quiet time for yourself. Even if it is 10 minutes, take a deep breath and close your eyes. If you can quiet the chaos around you for a few minutes, it may provide you with the strength you need to continue.

5) Create an ADD Friendly environment. Make charts, use white-boards, daily organizers, PDA’s, whatever you need to make your life flow a little easier.

8) Get in the habit of saying “Let me get back to you.” ADD women tend to be overcommitted. Impulsively, they say “yes” to everything they are asked. Get in the habit of always saying you will think about it, and lower the amount of commitments you make.

for all 10 and the complete #8 suggestion go read it. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

from http://add.about.com/cs/forwomen/a/tipswomen_2.htm

More tips on managing the home with ADD :

1) Use a digital voice recorder and keep it with you. It can be used to record notes to yourself when a pen and paper isn’t handy. It can be used in the car when you remember something that needs to be done later or during meetings so you can refer to the meeting later and not miss any details.

2) Simplify your life. Decide if you want to clean the kitchen or just get the dishes done. Decide if you want to catch up on laundry or just make sure there is enough clean clothes for the next few days. Schedule only one errand to run or one task to accomplish for the day.

3) Bring a cell phone food shopping so you can check in at home to see if you need something.

4) Go food shopping alone and end the “I wants” that continually disrupt your thoughts and create a shopping trip full of impulse purchases rather than what you need for the week.

5) Teach your children to do their own laundry. Make each responsible for having clean clothes.

6) Set up a schedule for making dinner. Each family member gets one night a week to cook dinner and you can fill in the balance of the days.

7) Make sure you save time for yourself, you can’t take care of others if you do not take care of yourself.

Back to margery here, boy does this answer why I've developed my "systems" to such a fine art. It may not be just coping with chronic low energy levels and the thyroid thing.

I started doing OAMC back when the kids were in elementary school and I was back doing shifts as a nurse. I refined my load a day laundry system then, and I'd decluttered about 5 yrears before that, and learnt the Clean Team method sometime in between, about 18 years ago.

When I found something that worked, I tweaked it, and ended up tweaking it a lot more when my personal energy crisis hit, but this sure does explain a lot for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Margery...I *really* appreciate the effort - unfortunately it's really hard to read through the tears, so I'm bookmarking things like crazy!

OH ~ BTW ~ I ran the "don't get in my way" theme by the kiddos - they unanimously agreed that it's me all over....I haven't told them yet.....waiting till GW gets back from the field & I'll lower the boom on him first! He's gonna understand a looooooooot more now!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL Debbie, will you feel better if I tell you that that is where my kids coined the term "kitchen expletives".

It's the only time I really cut loose and swear. It's better than throwing stuff.

And I teach Bible Study every Tuesday morning. BE afraid, be very afraid for the church!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by canadian gardener
    LOL Debbie, will you feel better if I tell you that that is where my kids coined the term "kitchen expletives".

It's the only time I really cut loose and swear. It's better than throwing stuff.

And I teach Bible Study every Tuesday morning. BE afraid, be very afraid for the church!!!!!

ROFL Margery!!!!

That's how I felt today when they asked me to teach next year's RCIA class....

If they only knew!!!