Communication boards - anyone used them before
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question Communication boards - anyone used them before

Have anyone used a communication board before with their child. If so, how successful was it? How old was your child when they first started using it? Was it something your child picked up really quickly on or did they get frustrated?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used pecs.

http://trainland.tripod.com/pecs.htm

http://www.cesa7.k12.wi.us/sped/auti...ist/asst13.htm

I used it on a velcro board, on the fridge, and also notebook style.

At school they use schedule boards for the kids.

It worked well for Zachary, but he was young when I introduced it. (a little over 2 yrs old)

It helped him communicate (less tantrums) and also helped him with transitions.

The PECs we used were based on boardmaker software. I didn't purchase it as there were tons online and the school printed/laminated anything I needed.

Zachary was borderline for needing it for long, but when he did use it, it was effective.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've used them at work with my elderly residents, but I don't think that experience will be too helpful to you. We have had some success making our own using computer clip art, cardboard, and contact paper when needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy tell me more. Our son is 14 1/2 and it looks like we will be getting one for him. How successful have they been with adults?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty good, overall, but it depends on what you're using it for and the person's interest, of course.

I had one lady who carried an alphabet board with her daily because her speech was so hard to understand (following a stroke). The problem was, after a while she lost the ability to spell, too, so it turned out to be even more frustrating. You could spend five minutes standing there while she spelled something like "I want mw stvillls"~ and then she'd get really mad because you didn't understand her. She was not receptive to pictures or other types-- she felt those were "below" her.

I had a volunteer, a teenaged MR client, who used a picture checklist to follow her daily routine. I made that one on my computer. She could not remember to do a list of things if you told her verbally, but, if she could cross off the pictures as she did them, she was able to be much more independent. We posted copies of her routine, and made plenty of copies so she could carry them with her. You can also do the same thing, laminate it with contact paper, and let them use a dry-erase pen each day.

I even made a quick one when my FIL was on a ventilator~ his had a list of words, such as people's names, home, nurse, etc. in large bold print. He could point at the words on the paper easier than writing out what he wanted to say because he was very weak.

I can give you more stories.... but I don't know if that will help you much.

Mainly, what I've seen is that the fewer options, the easier the communication. For example, we commonly have boards that only have symbols for bathroom, drink, food, bed. Those are the basic needs. It's less confusing for everyone, and easier for the resident to find the picture he/she needs quickly. Some residents keep those tucked into the side pocket on their wheelchairs for quick use.

I know that the MR program in our county uses books, with everything in them from specific food pictures (as in french fries, for use in selecting food when eating out). They make those from posterboard and cut-out magazine pictures, and held together with metal rings, so pages can be added and removed as needed. They even color code them somehow-- I think each color represents a different category, like words for home, school, etc.

I don't know if that helps you any.... let me know if I can be of any help!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh! Forgot to add---- great links, Sara. I don't have internet access at work, but, I might use some of those sites at home and take it to work rather than hunt through all my clipart disks for something that will work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have tried with my aunt Francine, but she didn't like it and would not want to use the pictograms that was made for. When she lived with my parents they tried, she refused, with us, she also refused. The problem I see with her, is that this way of communication was introduced to her too late in her life--51 years old....she has found her own way of communicating...although people who don't know her may have a hard time to understand her. She communicates with basic signs--no real techniques.

I think it's good that you are starting young to use these communication boards with your son, CJ.

Sara, the second link you gave ressembles very much what my aunt had. But like I said she just refuses to use them...twice we found them in the garbage....We would have loved her to use them--it would be so easier for her to be understood. Only Pierre and I and my parents know what she is saying--but for others it's harder...

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had great success with the boardmaker program. When introducing it to even the lowest functioning individuals we have had success, just start slow. Giving one or two choices that are motivating and doing a picture exchange--I give you the picture cards for a game or the tv, you want the tv so that is what you hand back to me. Once you find 10-15 signs you need for re3gular communication, they can be produce and put on laminated cardboard so they can be pointed to for "conversation".
    The words you pick will depend on the current level of communication. I generally do a "work" or "school" board and a home board. For work I put things like lunch, supplies, toilet, staff, help, finished, leave me alone, yes and no. The home board I usually incorporate hygiene things, family members, sleep, eat etc. If there is something specific I can help with, pm me.---Kellie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used a combination of communication board and sign language when Joshua was young (age 2 1/2 to 5) The board was one that we made up using pictures. It was mostly because only a few nurses in the hospital (where he spent most of his time) knew sign language.

Joshua started speaking at about age 5 so we didn't need it after that.