I AM SO UP SET !!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I AM SO UP SET !!!!

i just got a call from my 12 years school telling me she cant see well and her head is hurting. I told the nurse ( which they already know) That Amanda take med for her ADHD,BI-poial and OCD and sme times her head will hurt for a bit just let her put her head down for like 10 mins and she will be ok. i f i let here comehome every time she felt a lil bad she would never go to school.also amanda knows if she dont want to do some thing just say she dont feel goo. I asked to talk to my child and when i did she was fine. You kow that a mom can tell when her child is really sick. Amanda was not. I toold the nurse she will be ok she is not sick and that i couldnot let her come home every time she said she was sick. the nures told me weel they cant get her to do nothing in calll. OMGGGGGGGG SHE IS A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD !!!!!!!! they have to work with her. If is was not for me wanting my child to be around other childern i would home school her. it is like they just let her sit there and not teach her just lwt her pass from gread to gread. My child is 12 and has the mined of a 7 year old so i know she cant be up to date on her learning but dont call me and tell me you cant do nothing with her. then after i talked to my child she said she was in reading. well i know why she feels sick . She cant read and told me she gets made fun of when she trys. Sorry to vent but i am soooooooooooo upset

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorry for typos i was so up set

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sorry that you are having a bad time with the school. I hope it all gets worked out soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is very upsetting.
    I have a special needs child (he has a form of autism) any ways if the school isn't working with your child I would call a meeting do your child have an IEP? If so and I wasn't happy I would keep my child out of school and call the board of education and tell them they the school isn't working with your child and she isn't learning. The school gets into BIG trouble if they are not following an IEP.

If there is no IEP set up I would call a meeting and force them into an IEP that they have to follow.

Just what I would do with a school that wasn't doing the right thing by my child.

Eileen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

, deffently do afollow up and get a meeting in. Sometimes they forget that we the parents deal with our child on daily bases and know them verry well. Yes they may have a differnt perspective of what they see in the child.
    I have a ADHD 14 year old. When he was young, I went to so many meetings and follow ups and my son would come in the room, to discuss what our expectations were and what he thought he could do and achieve.
    HUUGGSSS to you, and I hope everything goes better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My grandson is 9 and he has downs.........At his IEP meeting we set goals. Right now he is at the age of 3.6........They have about 14 kids in his class all speciel needs. I know at times he gets bullheaded and refuses to learn. They work him him. His teacher has 2 helpers. He will never be his age. With luck he will beable to write his name ( can't yet) and beable to take care of himself...... I work with him everyday. He talks better and knows more words. When he first came to live with me 2 1/2 years agao he didn't talk. So find out what is going on in your childs class........
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks all . I just went and had a meeding not 2 weeks ago for amanda IEP. We have been haveing them every year sence she was 5 .so it is not like her recordes dont say what she has problem with. I called back after getting off here i was still so up set. I asked her teacher what do you think is going to happend to Amanda when she gets 18. she was like i dont know. I said well if she cant learn the basic of how to read a lil she will be living with me. The teacher was kinda lost. I said i am trying to tell you i dont care about her grads i just want her to learn even if it is just a lil that is fine. I remember when i was frist told amanda had all this . I aksed if you wwould finish school. OH yes they said. Now they cant tell me. I said i know it is hard to be a special needs teacher . I was a special needs preschool teacher. but any can teach a so called smart child.It takes a truely good teacher to teach speacial need child and you have to love waht you do.

I wanted to ask her do you love what you do? butttttt i did not.
    any way amanda came home and guess what she is fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can understand the school erring on the side of caution. Schools are scared of being sued. In this case, imagine if Amanda had been ill and the school chose not to contact you. They have laid themselves wide open for a lawsuit. (Not saying you personally would have sued.)

I think it's a balancing act--parents and teachers have to work together. Amanda is lucky to have a mom who is involved with her education.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If the only reason you are not homeschooling her is because you want her to be around other children then you should check into the homeschool community where you live. Homeschool children get as much interaction with other children as the parents are willing to allow. There are groups and clubs, co-op classes, field trips, sports, proms, camping trips, art classes, drama classes, libraries do book readings during the day for them, etc...many opportunities for them to socialize everyday of the year. If we had the time to do them all, there are enough activites and group learning opportunities to keep both of my kids busy seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year.

If you are truly interested in homeschooling her there is a whole world of activites for her to get the opportunity to be around other children. For what it is worth, in my area I have found the homeschoolers as a whole to be more accepting of each other - less cliques and social status groups among them.

I know it is a person decision and we all do what we feel is best for our situations. I am in no way saying homeschooling is for everyone, because it is not. I just wanted you to know there are plenty of opportunities for a homeschooled child to get lots of interaction with other kids.

No matter what, I hope you are able to get everything worked out for Amanda. Sending hugs your way, I can tell you are really upset, and rightfully so.
    Last edited by Neeley; 11-15-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had 2 special needs children too-- and the school fought me every step of the way. . . didn't follow thier IEP's, etc.

I was most interested in them getting their education-- therefore, I supplemented at home, what I felt they were lacking at school. I took them on field trips to simulate their minds. . . I bought them extra books/workbooks, etc. Costly? Yes! Worth it? Absolutely!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks all ..
    Cele.. I under stand that the school has to call me but when i tell them after talking to my child she is ok and they have my ok for her to stay .
    I know about having to call I was a preschool teacher. I know how it is to be in the schools place and I understan. I just dont like being made to feel like i dont care about my chils being sick. The school knows amanda has to take med and the bad thing is she get kinda sick it is like a daily thing i dont know what to i have asked the doc they said it is side effects of the med. i hate that i ever had to put her on it. but that is a new topic lol.

as far as home school i may have to look in to it. i was hopping that the schools could t4each her better than i can. I am not up to date on older special need childern I only have perschool experience.

again thanks for all in put i love this place!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG!! I know exactly what you mean!! My 9 yr old son is ADHD, bi-polar and has temporal lobe epilepsy. The school either "lets him slide" or demands I come pick him up. It varies from day to day. Most days I feel so alone too!
    But, I know how you're feeling.