Instead of expensive carpet cleaner soap..
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Instead of expensive carpet cleaner soap..

Use 4 teaspoons Oxyclean, 2 teaspoons resolve (or similar) stain remover, and hot water. Works just as well as the expensive Bissel solution I used to buy.

My machine needs 8 cups of hot water for this recipe so if your machine holds more or less solution it's pretty easy to adjust.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks vail... i might try that combo too... i usually use laundry detergent (coz it doesn't 'foam'....i made the mistake once and used dish det...ugh....what a mess...bubble bath all the way)...and 1/2 cup of vinegar..... i have added oxyclean to the mix (if i happened to have it) but hadn't thought to add the resolve.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    thanks vail... i might try that combo too... i usually use laundry detergent (coz it doesn't 'foam'....i made the mistake once and used dish det...ugh....what a mess...bubble bath all the way)...and 1/2 cup of vinegar..... i have added oxyclean to the mix (if i happened to have it) but hadn't thought to add the resolve.....
    sabrelvssammy, do you have neutral or colored carpeting? I'm wondering how/if the vinegar might cause fading in colored carpeting before I give it a try. Or did you mean that you used the vinegar with the dish det?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Instead of using expensive carpet cleaners to clean mud stains, try using a small amount of liquid laundry detergent. Apply the detergent to the muddy area and blot it with a damp white cloth. If the stain persists, try adding some vinegar to the mix. But test it on an inconspicuous area first since this can affect the color of some carpets.

For More Info :
    THE DRY CLEAN SPA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was going to suggest laundry detergent too!

We have (what should be) bright white carpets in our house, so I simply use a bleach and water solution to brighten them up. I'm sure it isn't good for my carpet in the long run, but we plan on replacing the horrible white carpet in a few years anyway, to something that won't show dirt!

I just have to be sure to steam clean again with straight water, to get all the bleach solution out of the carpet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish I would have seen this thread BEFORE I rented a steam cleaner last weekend. I had some cleaning solution on hand, so I didn't buy any, but I did spend $3.99 for a little bottle of defoamer. Even though a little voice keep saying, "You probably could use white vinegar instead of buying this", I still went ahead and got it. Un-Frugal! But next time I will remember to make my own, and will try to see if anyone has a steam cleaner I can borrow instead of renting it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Barkri12 View Post
    Instead of using expensive carpet cleaners to clean mud stains, try using a small amount of liquid laundry detergent. Apply the detergent to the muddy area and blot it with a damp white cloth. If the stain persists, try adding some vinegar to the mix. But test it on an inconspicuous area first since this can affect the color of some carpets.

For More Info :
    THE DRY CLEAN SPA.

I always thought vinegar set colors so that they didn't fade. Can it get stains out?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another option, if you have a Sam's Club memership, is to buy their carpet cleaning solution.
    I pay around $4.50 per gallon and then all you have to do is to mix with hot water.

They also have their 'commercial' solution on their website for a bit more money.

I know you were talking about using it just for spot treatments, but I thought I would mention this option, just in case.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GenB View Post
    I always thought vinegar set colors so that they didn't fade. Can it get stains out?
    You can reduce the number of environmentally harsh and toxic chemicals used around your home by replacing them with more earth friendly, cheap and common substances such as vinegar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a very small cheap-o steam cleaner. I used to buy the solution and then I didn't have any one day so I put baking soda, a squirt of dish soap and some vinegar in it and filled with water. Got the stain out better than the cleaner lol