Fabric Softener...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Fabric Softener...

On November 2, 2009, I opened a 30oz bottle of Purex softener, bought from the Dollar Tree. There's 2 of us, about 5/6 loads a week. I used about 1 tsp per load, never actually measured. That dollar bottle lasted me till 3/8/10 & I rinsed out the bottle for the last couple of loads. I've started another dated bottle! Price 1.07 or 4 months--works for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I date a lot of items when I open them. Not really to figure cost per use, but it does help me determine how long things last, and to calculate how much/when to stock up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I date many items too. I also have a little rule I incorporate - use everything like it was your last one (and it will be awhile before you get another). You'd be surprised how little you can use. Do you REALLY need a 1-inch squeeze of toothpaste on your brush? Or will half or one-fourth that much work just as well? If you use stick deodorant, apply half as much as you normally would and see if you get the same results?

Hubby was using too much dish washing detergent, so I had him use a 1/8-teaspoon measuring spoon to measure the liquid soap. A bottle now lasts us two to three times as long as it did as when he was just eyeballing the amount.

I have my sister-in-law purchase a gallon of salon-style shampoo with her discount (she's a licensed stylists). I mix it in a small bottle for use - 50/50 with water - and a gallon will last us several years.

I purchased a 5-gallon pail (1,280 loads) of Charlie's Soap (Safe, Non toxic, Biodegradable Soap - Charlie's Soap) and started using it November 14, 2007 and we figured it should last us at least 3.5 years. At 1,280 loads, it came to 9-cents per load, but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't last longer. We're careful to measure 1 tablespoon per large load of laundry. Fabric softener is completely unnecessary with Charlie's Soap, in fact they suggest you NOT use it, so I save on that expense as well. Our clothes are soft, even line-dried. So I also save by not using the dryer.

One tablespoon of dish washer detergent in only one of the dispensing cups, and washing on the shortest cycle is more than enough to wash dishes. A box of dish washer detergent will last at least a year.

I stewed and fretted trying to figure out which brand of toilet paper was the least expensive. I purchased several brands and did all the math based on sheets per roll, but not all sheets are the same size, and not all brands are "equal" - single or two-ply.... Then it dawned on me to weigh the roll to get the most accurate price per roll. TA DA!!! K-Mart carries an off brand called American Fare, and their 1000 Sheet variety (similar to Scott) is the best buy (when you can find it on sale) and the one that lasts the longest. Any of the 1000 sheet varieties are also generally "best buys", especially if you can stack savings (on sale, have a coupon, have a rebate...). So I concluded the weight of the roll was the only accurate way to figure the actual cost of TP - skip all the other variables since they are never the same for every brand.

I need to know how long it takes us to use many things I keep in storage so I don't stock too many of some items, and not enough of others. I also think once you do date items, you tend to be more conscious of how much of it you are using.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't used fabric softener in over a year. I just add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. works great and you don't get buildup on your bath towels etc

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, I'll admit, I DO use my regular fabric softner (but b/c I LOVE the smell~ Downy ultra concentrated "simple pleasures" Vanilla & Lavender scented )... However, I have an "extra" bottle that is 70 oz & what I do is----> Fill it up a little over 1/2 way with water & then fill the rest of it up with the fabric softner from the new bottle... I still get to have my "scent" but at a fraction of the cost... It's much cheaper if you can get it on sale & of course with a coupon!

Kim