Best places to camp in IL, IN, WI or MI?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Best places to camp in IL, IN, WI or MI?

Anyone camp in this region? We live in Northern Illinois, and in the interest of saving gas, we are looking to stay close to home this summer for a few weekend camping trips.

Anyone have any good campsites in these area?

We have hit most of the KOA's in the northern IL area, and are looking to expand a bit! (I should note that it doesn't have to be a KOA, we just had a savings card with them over the past few years, so we camped with them alot for the discount...but I didn't get the card this year).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Camping in WI

We like camping in the Corp of Engineers campgrounds. Their prices are much less than KOA. There is a few sites in Wisconsin and several in Iowa - although right now I doubt they are open in Iowa. Find out about them on the Reserve America site.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I have never heard of them before. I'll have to check them out!

We aren't huge fans of the KOA's, just becuase they are a little "commercial" for us. We don't need or want the continental breakfast or sing -alongs or planned activities that they usually have on the weekends. We just want to get out and enjoy the quiet of nature and get away from modern conveniences for awhile!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everywhere we camp around here is Corp of Engineers too. We stay very close to home (about a mile!) and once or twice a year we go into Wisconsin.

Have you tried any of the Jellystone Parks? There are several of those around, they are a little more expensive but my son absolutely loves going there. Actually, that probably falls more along the commercial lines huh...I'll keep thinking, unless you are interested in Eastern & Central Iowa and then I can give you some ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm from IN and we loved camping at Turkey Run State Park. It is close to Crawfordsville, Terre Haute area close to IL state line. If you like to hike they have wonderful trails, you can rent canoes for the river, (we did this it was really fun) and there are several covered bridges in the area. It really is a beautiful park . We usually went over the girls fall break. Check the DNR site it should give you the info.

Happy Camping!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much Sheri, I'll have to try Turkey Run. It sounds like fun.

We have lots of State parks within a 2 hour drive, but they book up sooooo fast. We have to have reservations in by March or so to get a space. Maybe I'll shoot for doing that next year. Just book a bunch of weekends right away at the very beginning of spring. Planning is not my strong suit! We usually decide to go about a week before hand!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Central Illinois and there are tons of campgrounds around that are really cheap. The place that I would most highly reccomend is Weldon Springs State Park or camping at Clinton Lake, but there are several small, intimate campgrounds around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Illinois. Thompson Causeway is an Army Corp of Engineers campground. In Thompson Illinois along the Mississippi - it's an "island" of sorts. Great campground, clean, quiet. We love it there.

We mostly stick to State Parks ourselves. Morrison-Rockwood State Park, Lowden (one of our favorites!) Rockcut, Starved Rock, Shabbona (another favorite).

I've heard that Turkey Run is REALLY nice - really wooded spots. With gas prices the way they are, I'm not sure we'll be headed there soon.

I want to try Bong in Wisconsin again this year and Kettle Morraine. If the Dells dry out we might head up to Mirror Lake in Lake Delton - oh, reminds me Devils lake is really nice too! Both are very wooded, private type sites.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hayward wi has lots of great camp grounds. The little town is terrific on weekend with an old fashion street band. There is also a candy store where you can watch them make candy and sample

Warrens WI's Jelly Stone is phenomenal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in Indiana...I am not at all a camper, but I would like to be. My friends say Turkey Run is great. We have been to Pokagon State Park near Angola, IN. Also there are tons of nice ones in Wisconsin (my home state)...I hope you have found somewhere and had a fantastic time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know the season is over for this year but next year try Johnson Sauk Trail in Anamosa IL. It is on Interstate 80, just outside of Kewanee. We absolutely love that place. They have an area we call "The Pines" it is row after row of huge pine trees that you camp among. They also have an open area. There is a lake for boating and fishing.

We also love Palisades State Park in Savanna, IL. Outside of Galena. It is absolutely gorgeous in the fall. If you are looking for a small campground Pikes Peak in McGregor IA is very nice but tiny. We always ended up there on weekend that they have the craft fair. You need to get there on a Thursday night for the weekend. It is across the river from Prairie Du Chien, WI.

I am from Davenport, and another one we hit frequently is Scott County Park in Eldridge IA. Right up the road from Davenport. We have a motor scooter so most places we camp have nice areas to "Scoot" Scott Co Park, Johnson Sauk Trail and Palisades are all great places for that.

We don't really care for the Corp Campgrounds because they are usually small and kind of like camping in a field. State parks are usually woodsy and originally being from PA, we like the woods. Reminds us of the mountains.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lovestoread View Post
    I'm from IN and we loved camping at Turkey Run State Park. It is close to Crawfordsville, Terre Haute area close to IL state line. If you like to hike they have wonderful trails, you can rent canoes for the river, (we did this it was really fun) and there are several covered bridges in the area. It really is a beautiful park . We usually went over the girls fall break. Check the DNR site it should give you the info.

Happy Camping!!!!
    I was going to say Turkey Run too.