Finally!

Thread: Finally!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Finally!

For the past several summers I've wanted to take my girls on a canoe trip. But, time or money have not been in my favor at the same time. I have a narrow opportunity to take them on 4th of July. We've made it a family camp/canoe trip and have invited grandparents, aunts and uncles.

By combining our resources, the trip will be more frugal for everyone. We all have camping gear and full pantries. I expect it will be a blast.

The girls and I are going in the advanced party to set up camp and start the fire/dinner. We expect everyone to get into camp the evening of the 3rd. We'll float the Buffalo on the 4th and break camp the morning of the 5th.

I just decided that I needed to make this happen now, while I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like a wonderful trip. Please tell us all about it when you get back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have a wonderful trip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like a lot of fun! Just think of all the memories you will be making with your girls. Enjoy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, I'm really excited about it. I love planning things, too...so, it's giving me an outlet for that. I have my lists in my notebook of things to do and things to pack. I think, if everyone who is invited arrives, we will have 20 folks there. And I believe about 14 will canoe. Or it could be as few as 12 folks there with 6 of us canoeing... either way, I'm sure it will be a blast.

Both my girls are in college now and next summer, my oldest is committed to attending summer stock in Okoboji, IA for 10 weeks. The next year she graduates... so I'm thinking this is our last summer that we are guaranteed to have the entire family together. Before we all start scattering to the four winds, I want to do this.

On one hand, considering what is happening in our lives health wise... I should save the money. On the other hand, there are things worth sacrificing for and this happens to be one I'm willing to bite the bullet and just do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay... so I'm ready for tips, suggestions, menu ideas... for the trip.

Ages will be from 10 - 65. With most of the kids being from 15 - 20 and most of the adults 40 - 45.

I haven't headed up a camping trip of this many in a long time. I'm trying to organize who will bring what.

We have 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches to cover on this trip. One lunch will be a riverside picnic from the canoes and the other one will be as we're breaking camp or on the road home (it's a little over an hour drive from our homes).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is where we're going:
    http://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm

We're staying at a group spot at the Buffalo Point area. We'll do the 11 mile float from Maumee to Buffalo Point... it's a really easy segment of the river to float.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This looks like a wonderful trip. Thank you for including the link. It should be beautiful. As far as food goes, we always have our pie irons. PB&J doesn't spoil. I love our dutch oven. I make casseroles. Lots of cut up veggies are good too. I take canned fruit. Hot dogs are yummy cooked over an open fire! Have fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a great trip. We just cancelled our canoe trip since all our rivers are flooded here. Even if they go down by the time we had planned, the river is going to be polluted with garbage and who knows what.

Enjoy yourselves!!!

Depending on the weather, I usually make camp taco's (served over corn chips) or chili. People will be hungry after paddling all day. How far of a trip is it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's only 11 miles. Our rivers flooded in the spring and are at optimal level now. Usually, it's a bit iffy as to whether the Buffalo is running enough to float this time of year... so, I've had trouble scheduling this in the past and if I wait on into July when I have another opportunity, the water may be too low.

I picked up the sales sheets today and have decided part of the menu.

For the night of the 4th (post canoe trip):
    BBQ slow cooked pork country-style ribs (on sale $1.69/lb)
    Roasted ears of bi-color corn (on sale 6/$1)
    Lite potato salad (potatoes on sale 10 lbs/$4)
    Asian cole slaw (cabbage from my garden)

I already have stuff for smores on hand. And, since peaches are coming in I'm thinking of a peachy dessert.

For the set-up evening, I'm thinking stew... but not sure what's on sale. Might be chicken!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you all have a memory making time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sonds like a fun time. My daughter just a couple days ago commented on the fun memories we made camping. Good for you for making it happen!

Pancakes for breakfast? Put the mix in a jug and just add water and shake. Have fun!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ah, great idea on the pancakes! Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are rained out... or, er, maybe rained in is more appropriate.

I checked the radar last night before heading to camp and it looked like one little shower and then clear. So, we headed over there... it poured the whole way, then broke but you could see more clouds. At that point the campsite (quite beautiful, by the way) was soaking wet... no way a fire would start so I said, let's go get something to eat. Then, decided that by the time we ate, it'd be pretty late for setting up. So, we turned back.

It's still raining. So, it was a good call. A front has stalled over us and we are having non-stop Thunderstorms, since about 6:30 last night.

Okay, so I'm the grown-up, right? I'm supposed to be the one that cheers up the disappointed troops and finds the silver lining. But, I really just want to throw a tantrum, stomp my feet and cry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww, I'm so sorry! That is really disappointing. Especially with all the planning you put into it. I hope you can get back out there soon.