Watch Out Woods... Here We Come!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking Watch Out Woods... Here We Come!

After much consideration, we decided not to go tent camping. DD just turned 8 and has never been camping before. With the strange weather we've been having lately, I didn't want her first camping experience to include a muddy, lumpy floor.

I booked a cabin for 2 nights at a local campground for Sunday and Monday nights (3 days, 2 nights). It's more of a shed with a bed but it will work for us.

"
    One-Room Camping Cabins are 12' x 12' log buildings with a 6' porch and a porch swing. With a double bed and bunk bed, they sleep four comfortably"

"
    There are mattresses on each bed, but you need to bring your own sleeping bags or linens. All Cabins have electrical outlets, an overhead light, and a locking door. The Cabins do not have a kitchen or bath, and cooking is not permitted inside the Cabins. However, there is a charcoal grill, fire ring and picnic table outside, along with a water spigot at or near the site. The Cabins have electric heat for the cooler nights in the spring and fall, and air-conditioning for the warmer summer nights. "

We got the LAST cabin... and it was the one I wanted too. It is the second closest to the bathroom, pool, playground and store. It's not on the 'street' it is set back a little on it's own private drive.

Monday is the Old Man's birthday so I have an excuse to bring that 'campfire cake' someone posted earlier.

We don't have to check in until 1pm on Sunday, so we can get the groceries on the way there. I just need to do a checklist of things I do need to bring, like sheets. I need to think of something for 2 breakfasts, lunch and dinners will be on the grill. We don't eat beef or pork, so this will be a challenge.

What says 'camping' to your family???

I bought some little games, a deck of cards and dice for nightly entertainment. We will of course make 'Smores. I think we still have the propane griddle to make pancakes on. Is it worth it to buy a propane stove type of thing?

As if I wasn't already asking too much by writing such a long post... what is your favorite campground recipe site? (We can wander out of the woods to get to the grocery store, but, we'd like to not see the 'civilization' until after we check-out Tuesday)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Enjoy your mini vacation Lady V.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope your family has a blast!!

We only use the propane stove for cooking eggs in the morning. All our other meals are cooked on the BBQ grill which is usually at the campsite. We usually cook hamburgers and hotdogs since they are pretty easy.

Our family likes to sit around the campfire at night and roast marshmallows. We also bring Yahtzee along and play it too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you go already? I missed this thread. I hope you had a great time if you did go.

When we go camping the things we bring for our girls are: bug collection jars, buckets for frogs, nets for catching frogs, fishing poles, glow sticks for night time.... Now that they're older and have been camping since they were infants - my parents bought them their own binnoculars and pocket knives (the knives fit into a little pocket on the binnoculars). They will sit at the campsite and just whittle a stick for the longest time. Of course with hubby & I keeping a watchful eye. I wouldn't suggest this to a new camper though.

Did you buy the propane stove? We love ours. It was a "hand-me-down." Still works great. Something I'm really loving lately is my dutch oven!!

I'm off to see if you posted an update on your trip!