I've got the camping bug!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I've got the camping bug!

Anyone else already thinking about camping? With winter dragging on I've been on my state parks website checking out where we want to go. Last summer we only went camping twice, boohoo. I took my dd, ds, nephew, and some of their friends to Rocky Gap. A great time was had by all. Hiking, fishing, swimming in the super clean lake was so much fun. Seeing the teenagers enjoy themselves really made me feel good. Cooking together was fun too. I love cooking over an open fire. The kids raved about the BBQ boneless chicken thighs. They even ate the veggies. Playing cards, making s'mores, sitting around the campfire talking... I look forward to doing all that again. We also camped at Smallwood State Park. My dh went this time and we were joined by my bother and his wife. My brother had a fishing tournament. He is a pro-am bass fisherman. My mother, sister and 4 year old niece came down for the day. My niece had so much fun. She said it was the best time ever! She even took a shower in the bath house before they left to go home. Maybe this year she can spend the night.

I'm seriously thinking about camping for Easter. We'll see. I've camped in 48/30 degree weather in a tent with a buddy heater. Takes lots of layers and a hat on your head. I'm up for it. If we decide to do it, I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

camping, backpacking, hiking...i am SOOOO ready !!!

i miss out all winter with my friends coz i won't do it in the cold...(they do) i even have all the gear for zero weather...my gear may tolerate it...but i don't!

HURRY summer !!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Both the RVs are currently under a foot plus of snow. We're hoping to get out to a 'local' park for Easter but we'll see.

I'm already planning some stuff though. We cook with Dutch ovens a lot while camping. I just got a #6 DO last fall, so I've been experimenting with recipes for it. (I recently perfected my Impossibly Easy Lime Cheesecake, yum!)

I also have two #5 baby Dutchies that hold just 3/4 of a quart each. We love those for just the two of us. It usually takes several attempts to get recipes right for those, but the experimenting is fun and tasty and I'm working on that, too. When it gets a little warmer outside, I'm going to go back to figuring out how to bake bread in the DO. I haven't been happy with past results.

We're hosting an RV rally at a park nearby in July, so we're working on plans for that already, too.

We have tentative plans for the Black Hills in May, but may decide to cancel depending on the health of one of our doggies.

We also have reservations for a park in southern Minnesota in June, to meet friends from Missouri and Illinois. That's going to be so much fun!

Also thinking about Door County in Wisconsin for the fall, or the Apostle Islands to test out our new tenting gear before taking it to Yellowstone in the next couple of years.

I'm not sure what all we'll end up doing this year, but we're ready to get on with it! Too bad spring is still two months away for us, at least. But we definitely are starting to get the camping bug!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please share some of your recipes. We have a dutch oven too. Getting some smaller dutch ovens sounds great. We tent camp. I've been looking at a tent that comes off the back of my SUV. It's about $300.00. We'll see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've thought about a van tent but the way the parks are here, I don't know if we'd be able to set it up on the spurs at the parks.

I use a lot of Bisquick Impossibly Easy Pie recipes. Easy, tasty, and cheap! A #10 DO works great instead of the pie plate the recipes call for. Double them for a #12 DO. Some of our favorites are the Seafood Pie, Easy Cheesy Meatball Pie, Cheeseburger Pie, and stuff along those lines.

The cheesecake recipe is a variation I came up with for the Bisquick version:

Impossibly Easy Lime Cheesecake
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup lime juice
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix
    2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese
    Place milk, lime juice, eggs, sugar and the Bisquick mix in blender. Cover and blend on high speed 15 seconds. Add cream cheese. Blend 2 minutes longer. Place in container with tight lid and store in cooler till ready to bake. Line #10 Dutch oven with foil and spray with cooking spray. Shake cheesecake mixture and pour into DO. Bake at 350 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Using foil, lift cheesecake out of DO and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Cover and refrigerate any remaining cheesecake. A half batch works great in a #6 DO.

Of course I frugally make my own Bisquick mix.

I use regular recipes for our DO cooking. I think I made two or three dishes using so-called 'Dutch oven' recipes and realized we not only couldn't eat that way, we didn't want to. Way too much fat in so many of them.

I make lid pizza by making the pizza on the lid of the DO and setting it on a sturdy stand, then inverting the potover the lid. Works great! We had fun experimenting with the technique at a rally last summer. I've used it since then too. It's fun just for the wow factor when people who aren't familiar with DO cooking, and even some who are, see it being done for the first time. The Bisquick recipe site I linked you to above also has some interesting pizza recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We went for my birthday (10/16) and it was FREEZING! My kids loved it. I will go this spring once the nighttime temp can be at least 50*. I imagine that we will be doing a lot of camping this spring & summer b/c the kids love it so much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We were just discussing this at supper with Mil and FIL we are all so ready to say goodbye tot he cold and snow, and to be camping. We camp May to September, every weekend plus 3 weeks solid through the summer.

Our RV is more like going to a cabin as it's' set up at a seasonal site. So easy, cooler, kids, clothes go.

RV and "attached" deck

shared fire pit with MIL and FIL

Kids treehouse behind the firepit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We're planning on tent camping at Huntington Island SC in less than 3 weeks. Sure hope it's warmer there , than here! We'll be camping for 8 days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I LOVE tent camping. My son and I have done it every year and enjoy it so much. I am hoping we can get out this summer but we will have to see how things go. We do have a R.V. and with FIL's health, it would really take some finagaling (sp?). LOL There is nothing better than spending the day outside in the fresh air, cook over an open fire and fall asleep to the sounds of nature.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have got the camping bug as well. A lot of my friends like to pack up for the weekend and head out to some place remote and live life in nature for awhile. DF and I are talking about going out with some of his friends for a weekend getaway camping excursion, I hope the weather heats up so we can do it soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last year a friend gave us their old pop up camper. This year Dh fixed it up w/our tax refund. We still need to patch some holes in the canvas part, but the major repairs are done. I am really looking forward to camping this spring!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am ready to camp! We are actually going to take a "real" camping vacation this year and I am exciteed about it! The last few years, DH has not been able to take his vacation in the summer due to his job, so we've only been able to go on weekends, but since he changes jobs last year, he'll actually be able to take off for a whole week in the summer for the first time in 10 years!

We plan on doing quite a bit of camping this summer. A full, week, then at least a few weekends. We are also looking at taking a canoe/camping trip, which will be fun! I just need to get started planning so I can start booking when places here open in April!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check out www.ely.org if you're interested in a canoe trip in or near the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA), which is a world-class canoe vacation destination.

Congrats on being able to have a real vacation! I remember what it's like when that's not possible. It's great to have a chunk of time with nothing to do but relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are so ready to go!!...Dh still has alot of building to do on our Teardrop, but it will get there!!...This will be our first camping experiance!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am also ready to go camping. Last year we only got out once. This year I want to get out several times. My DH's job makes it hard for us to get away and vacations are nearly impossible.
    That said, it makes it all the more important to get away. There is something about camping that makes you forget the stress of the world.
    I hope go camping at the beach soon. We usually tent camp, but the some the State Parks here have Yurts (think round tent like cabin). I would like to go stay in one along the coast. There are warmer than a tent and really the weather here is mild compared to some parts of country. Hopefully we can go soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast