Challenge: Not use anything disposable while camping.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Challenge: Not use anything disposable while camping.

I figure I will give this one a try. We tent camp. I'm going to try my best when my family goes camping to not use anything disposable. Plates, cups, napkins, paper towels, silverware, ziplock bags, foil, plastic, what am I leaving out? I understand you may need TP. I bring extra in case the bathrooms are out. So I guess that may be my one disposable item.

If anyone can think of anything else disposable add it! I don't think soap wrappers, shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes, etc. should count. I don't want to get too goofy. Giving up my ziplock bags is goofy enough. Anyone up for the challenge?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, man! You really know how to torture a person, don't you.

I don't think I can take that challenge. While we do try not to go hog-wild over using disposable stuff, I can't give it up for lunch stops and overnighters. When we pull in from ten or twelve hours on the road and all we want to do is sleep so we can face the next day of ten or twelve hours on the road, I can't give up paper plates and disposable dishes and add even more work to setting up and breaking camp.

I will take the challenge as far as doing what we can to cut back as much as possible on using disposables. That's an ongoing thing for us anyway.

I recently picked up a big stack of face cloths at a rummage sale for fifty cents, so I'll kick this off by converting those into napkins for the pop up. How's that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We went camping last summer and we aimed for no trash because the dumpster was a small walk away and I didn't want any of us roaming around there after dark... love raccoons, just don't want to come between it and it's dinner.

I can't wait to see how much better I can do this summer.
    I'm in for the challenge, but it will be a few months.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We actually went pretty disposable free years ago, just around our house which carries over to camping.

Just remember that anything that can go into a ziploc baggie can be put into a reusable tupperware type container that can be washed and reused. We have a big plastic tote that we keep our camping stuff in year round, and a few years ago, I added soap holders and little bottles for shampoo and conditioner and dishsoap and things like that. I just fill them up out of our regular large bottles at home before we go and empty them back into the big bottles at the end of the season and it works really well, and creates no extra waste!

I do have to admit that I do use foil, becuase we absolutely LOVE foil dinner and don't think we could do without those at least once each time we camp. But we bought a tripod grill last year that we really love, and that helps us eliminate the need for using foil when we cook, most of the time!

Good luck, you'll have to keep us updated after your first camping trip! We are toying with the idea of back packing down in the smokey moutains for our vacation this year, and if that ends up being the case, we'll definately have to do without disposables, because we'll have to carry our garbage with us! I did the trail down there when I was younger, and I remember doing tons of extra planning, so we wouldn't be carrying our disposables with us!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    Just remember that anything that can go into a ziploc baggie can be put into a reusable tupperware type container that can be washed and reused.
    I embrace that philosophy in theory, but in reality Ziplocs work better for me for some things because it's easier to find room in the cooler if I can smoosh things around in a bag instead of having them in Tupperware that doesn't have any 'give.' That's one reason I know we can't get completely away from disposables even though I don't really like to use them. Sometimes there's just no way to fit everything in if it's all in a rigid container. I do use reusable containers as much as possible though. It's also easier to close things up in bags vs. containers and get the air out, so they can be arranged to be surrounded by ice after some ice has melted and some food has been removed. If it's all in containers then sometimes the food ends up not staying as cold as if it was down in the ice, and we would then have to buy more ice. So it's kind of a trade-off.

I used to keep a tote just for camping plastics but recently moved all that into a section of some storage we moved into the kitchen. Love that! It's all organized and easy to find now. It seemed like when it was in a tote it never got quite put away like it should have, I guess because it tended to outgrow the tote. Maybe I just needed a bigger tote!

We rarely use foil for packet meals. We bought small cast iron Dutch ovens which do the same thing but will last for generations. We do carry foil in the RVs but seldom use it.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 03-23-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought long and hard about it too. How about we cut back as much as possible. I figure anything we can cut back on is good, right? We do take gallon jugs of drinking water with us so I was trying to figure out how we could put water in something reusable. I say we all go for it and do the best we can!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By the way, don't you just love dutch ovens? They are great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have 2 - 5 gallon water jugs that we use when we go camping. It holds all our water (drinking and cleaning)

I have all my camping equipment put in different totes and marked. (for example: kitchen, bathroom, bedding etc,etc) I went to the goodwill and purchased little reusable plastic plates and cups for us to use.

We don't have too much disposable stuff when we go camping because I don't like putting a trash bag in the truck when we go to sleep (grosses me out)

This year I will be making the change to cloth napkins. I have been using them at home for almost a year now so that will be my contribution to the challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can take the challenge to use as little disposable stuff as possible, as long as I get to define what's POSSIBLE for myself! LOL. I just know we can't give it up for our vacation in May if we actually go.

And yeah, I really do love my Dutchies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will have a hard time giving up all the plastic gallon bags but foil can be recycled. Also I bought 4 of those wind-up/human power flashlight so no batteries wasted. Every year we try to do something new. Maybe pinecone firestarters or homemade candles this year. Maybe flint firestarters instead of those dollar store bbq lighters. Darn now I want some corn soaked in a bucket of water cooked in foil in the fire!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MMMMMMM, I want some corn too! I will try my best to use as little as disposable as possible. We have a wind-up flashlight too. I don't mind using it. My kids love the ease of using the battery powered ones but maybe we can make the switch. It will get real interesting when I go to print out my supply list and review it to see what I can switch to reusable. Come on warm weather!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now THIS is a challenge! I don't know if I can do it. When we go tent camping water is often hard to come by, so we'd have to schlep anything we used to do dishes. When we go tent camping we often use paper towels, plates, and bowls, and use them in the fire when we're done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you had a small camper it would be a lot easier. But I think it can still be done. You just have to consider that you will have a lot more to bring with and back.

You will need to bring only one dish for each person and a small dish pan to wash things in. If you found plates that were deep you could get away without any bowls.