Nervous about a camping trip.......
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Nervous about a camping trip.......

In a couple of weeks we are going on a camping trip with friends. These are friends of mine who I met because they camp alot at the park where I work. There is mom and dad who are in their 70's. Then his niece and her dh who are in their 60's. Then mom and dad's daughter, her dh and two kids. I made friends with the two older couples first because they camp alot at our park. Last year they were there 4 times I think and they stay for 2 + weeks each time. This year they've been there three times for 2+ weeks each time. They are wonderful people, very friendly and warm. Mom is just the sweetest person ever. Wish she was my mom! She loves to cook and bake and we have alot in common. When they camp and I'm working they insist on feeding me every day LOL!

At the end of last year I became friends with her dd. This year we've really gotten close, talking on the phone every week, etc. She and her dh are just really nice people. I really really need this too! I have "friends" here but they are the "see them at the store, stand and chat a few minutes" kind of friends. They are younger than me and we just lead different lives. I REALLY need a friend who is my age and more like me. I have a good friend in MA that I never see but we talk every day through email. But I really need a friend who is close to me, that I see a few times a year. My dh and her dh have alot in common too so that helps. Her kids are younger then mine but they get along well (mine are dd 17 and ds 13, her's are dd 7 and ds 10).

Anyway we are all planning to camp together. Her parents, the other older couple, my friend and us for a weekend. But I'm nervous about it. I have a camper but we mainly just use it for sleeping. I don't cook in it, etc. I cook either on the campfire or with my electric skillet, griddle, crockpot, etc. And we eat well when we camp but pretty basic stuff. We eat hot dogs, hamburgers, fried potatoes, mac and cheese, bacon and eggs, etc. Dessert is usually smores.

My friends(the whole bunch) are cooking freaks though LOL. They have dutch ovens that they use to cook all this fancy stuff like pork loins and cobblers, etc. They eat fancy every day! I know that they understand that money is tight for us. They won't look down on our food at all, but it feels weird LOL. They always cook and then bring it all to one campsite and share. I can't wait to see how this works LOL! I do know that I am doing homemade veggie soup one night and they are doing chili and cornbreads, etc. I guess I feel like they will be spending much more on what they contribute than what I will and it will be more fancy than my food. Dumb huh?

The real problem is another couple who has invited themselves to join us too. She is what I call the campground leach. She latches onto a family who camps together every year and just drags them down. She sneaks around and listens to their conversations and then invites herself and her dh to camp with them telling people that they asked her or even that they insisted she come(which is NEVER true). I like this woman and I love her dh but she's a mess. She is loud, bossy, into everyone's business, and she likes to start trouble any time she can find a way. I think she must have a hard time making friends and just has no idea how to be around people. No matter what you say, she does it too. If you do this, she does it too. If you've been there, she has too. And she always has to one up you in everything. A little of her goes a LONG LONG LONG way! After Labor Day she decided that she would be in charge of our camping weekend. Ummmmmmm ok! She started telling me there was a menu and I had to make this and that, etc. I told her that the friends are camping for two weekends and I am only going to be there one of those and I'd make what I want. Mind you, she is the only one out of all of us who knows anything about this menu at all!

We will get no time together as friends without her. No time to visit or talk about personal things, etc. UGH!

I guess it's silly but I'm just nervous about the whole thing. We have tried camping with friends in the past and it did NOT go well. My so called friend invited herself on a trip with us and was supposed to bring her dh and kids, half the food, etc. She showed up with her three kids and no dh with really made my dh uncomfortable. She showed up with no food and no money as well. We had to feed them all weekend and pay for her campsite! I know it won't be this way with these friends, but it makes me wonder ya know??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh the drama Llama hangs out where we keep our camper too. There is always one person that just has to cause problems.

I feel for you but try not to let it ruin your fun and kudos for sticking to your guns and telling her whats what. She will learn fast you are not a shrinking violet but a steel magnolia!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

first don't worry about the food situation. you're camping, you're not throwing a black tie dinner. And if these people are as nice as you think they are, then there won't be a problem, everyone will just bring what they have and every one will eat drink and be marry.

Enjoy yourself and try not to stress about who paid how much for what.

As for the uninvited friend. Not much you can do about it other than try to be nice and enjoy yourself. If she gets herself into a jam you won't be the only one who notices.

I'm jealous...I wish I were going camping !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First of all, boy do I hear you on wanting time alone with your friend -- so much as you can be "alone" when you're camping with a gang. I am so sorry that this woman is determined to spoil your long-awaited good time (and has not apparent clue that that's what she's doing). Perhaps you and your friend can plan an event together (even if it's a ten minute walk!) just so you can tell the "other" person that sorry, you and she already had plans for the afternoon (or whatever).

Second, fear not about what you're cooking! I'm sure it will be just awesome, and the others might just welcome a change of pace, too, ya know. You need to remember this is a minivacation, and you need to be at ease. They're cooking what they're at ease with, and you need to do the same. Besides, I'm thinking that homemade soup on a camping trip sounds rather fancy..... you're being too hard on yourself, dearheart!

Re the money: does she REALLY come without money, or does she hold back, hoping you'll offer to pay? Is there a way for you to just pay your share, smiling patiently (and waiting, and waiting a tad bit more) till she finally pulls out her wallet?

Hope it all goes well!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the others--don't worry so much about what you're cooking! We used to belong to a popup camping group and some of the other members would cook their "fancy" meals in dutch ovens and what-not. When we go camping, I see it as time to relax and cooking an intricate dinner is not high on my list of relaxation activities. We mainly stick with hot dogs, fajitas, burgers, etc. Anything we can easily grill. I think homemade soup sounds like a great camping dish.

As far as the "campground leech" goes, try not to let her ruin your fun. It sounds like other this woman, everyone else you're camping with is great. Just concentrate on your time spent with the others and try to keep time spent with whack chick at a minimum. Happy camping!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck!

I have been on disastrous trips with others myself.........then I soon learned to SPEAK UP.....so if the leech decides to run the show simply ask her when you voted for her to be in charge!!

Just plan on having a good time and don't let ANYONE ruin it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Good luck!

I have been on disastrous trips with others myself.........then I soon learned to SPEAK UP.....so if the leech decides to run the show simply ask her when you voted for her to be in charge!!

Just plan on having a good time and don't let ANYONE ruin it!
    Truly, I agree with being kind and diplomatic and caring for others' feelings. I do. Usually, far too much. But you raise such an excellent point: why do we too often care so much for others' feelings that we give zero thought to our own? Surely she's lonely, but she needn't ruin your friendships.

What I always tell my kids regarding their classmates (some are patently difficult to deal with) is that they needn't always be friends, but they must always be friendly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Minner77 View Post
    Re the money: does she REALLY come without money, or does she hold back, hoping you'll offer to pay? Is there a way for you to just pay your share, smiling patiently (and waiting, and waiting a tad bit more) till she finally pulls out her wallet?

Hope it all goes well!
    Oh that person is LONG gone from my life! I finally had enough of her about four years ago and ended that so called friendship. But yes she showed up with only enough gas money to get them home. She was a total loser who did this not once, but twice! Oh and she was more than a little nuts too and turned into a stalker after I ended the friendship. SO glad she's history!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If she invited herself and claims that others invited her along, and you know she didn't (and have actually checked with everyone else and confirmed it) then why not tell her she simply isn't welcome?

I know it won't be comfortable - but which would you rather have - a little overhyped drama now, or a week of being miserable when you should have been having a great time?

NOBODY has the right to force themselves upon you - you have no obligation to be nice to her about it if you are 100% certain nobody really invited her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    If she invited herself and claims that others invited her along, and you know she didn't (and have actually checked with everyone else and confirmed it) then why not tell her she simply isn't welcome?

I know it won't be comfortable - but which would you rather have - a little overhyped drama now, or a week of being miserable when you should have been having a great time?

NOBODY has the right to force themselves upon you - you have no obligation to be nice to her about it if you are 100% certain nobody really invited her.
    Since we are camping at a public campground and the one that I work at and since I will actually be working that weekend I can't tell her she can't come. It's a public campground and I have no authority to tell her she can't camp there when she wants to. I also can't piss her off because she is a regular camper who spends ALOT of money there and she would absolutely complain to the higher ups and probably get me fired. I need my job!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, fair enough, but even though it's a public campground, don't people rent their camp areas? So if you rent your area with your friends, don't you have the right to ask someone to leave your area?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by WV_mom_of2 View Post
    Since we are camping at a public campground and the one that I work at and since I will actually be working that weekend I can't tell her she can't come. It's a public campground and I have no authority to tell her she can't camp there when she wants to. I also can't piss her off because she is a regular camper who spends ALOT of money there and she would absolutely complain to the higher ups and probably get me fired. I need my job!
    Have you discussed this with the people you are going camping with. She says she was invited. Ask them if they invited her. Maybe they could tell her to back off.

Depending upon your higher ups, you may ask them how to deal with her attaching herself to your personal events.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am sure it will turn out better than you think. Don't worry about the food, contribute what you can afford. I am sure they aren't expecting a nine course meal from you. Good luck, relax and have fun. Just ignore the bossy one as much as you can.