Camping Ideas/Suggestions/Hints..etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink Camping Ideas/Suggestions/Hints..etc.

All right campers!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Give us all your "goodies" to share. Anything to make/help our camping experience GREAT!
    I take an empty kleenex box & stuff all my plastic bags in it. Pull 1 out when you need it.
    Shower body scrubber thingamajig dries out quicker than a washcloth.
    Take spring type clothespins & gray duct tape--just in case. (of whatever)
    Look up on your ''puter where you're traveling to. Print/write out points of interest & hours. Place in folder. Then-don't forget your folder.
    Always keep a kleenex or 2 for your pocket. You know--public BR & no TP...ugh! And hand gel near your car/truck seat...
    that's a few...I'll keep them coming
    Share with us!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We take our laptop with us instead of a folder with printed stuff. Most campgrounds have free wifi now. So we take advantage of it and save printing out alot of paperwork. We can look stuff up as the camping trip goes.

I take a basket with all our bathroom items in it. That way everthing can be stored under the sink in a nice way.

We have a camper so I have all the kids take washbaskets and put all their clothing in them and they care that out to the camper and then put there clothes in the drawers. Then they take the baskets back in the house until we return from camping and then we bring out the wash basket to put stuff in to bring back in the house. I use the baskets to clean out the items in the frig and freezer. It make the clean up go faster.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you tent camp and use the public showers, collect free samples (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash, body lotion/wash) over the course of the winter months for camping season. I've done this for a couple of years now and it makes things sooo much simpler.

Freeze water in washed-out milk cartons. Lasts longer than ice cubes in the cooler and doubles as drinking water later.

If you have an air mattress and no air pump, use a hair dryer on cool setting.

I'm sure I'll think of more....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep these idea rolling. My family and I are going to be taking up camping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I take only "all like" clothing. Makes it so much easier if we stop & do wash. And we wear pants/capri's/jeans several x's before washing. I make a meal menu in my head..hate lists. & remember there is always a Walmart. I keep a clear shoe box filled only with sunscreen, repellents, lip balm, @ the door. Yep, I take a hand held fan..you'll need it. Never forget a first aid kit! I'll keep thinking..some of it I just do. AnnK~I'm so happy you're going camping. We love it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Empty containers can be your friend - I save empty drink mix, etc containers to bring things I want to have while at the cabin, without having to bring full-sized or pay for the 'travel sizes'... and keep the buggies out

Things I put in them...
    coffee
    creamer
    sugar
    potato flakes
    rice
    pasta

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eco Soap - you can bathe, do laundry & dishes with it w/o it harming the environment and can use in the lake

Garbage bags - make shift tarp over tent if you have a hole & it rains, can go under your tent/sleeping bag to keep dampness at bay, table cloth, make shift rain jacket and of course hold garbage if needed.

Buy 2 or 3 small bottles of travel size mouthwash, use and save bottle to hold dish detergent - you prob wont need more then the two battles if you use it wisely with a dishpan

Bring reusable water bottles and buy larger jugs (4L/1gal or larger) of bottled water for drinking/cooking

Other things to bring though not really a tip: baby wipes, lysol wipes, sunblock, sun relief lotion/gel, after bite stick, strong xacto knife, twine, nail clipper, sewing kit - just in case & BBQ lighter. Oh and twice as many batteries for all types of flashlights you're bringing.
    Last edited by Libby; 05-04-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: forgot something

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I freeze all meat so that it lasts longer. We tent camp and we have a covered shelter with water and electricity. We bring the george foreman, an electric burner, a coffee maker (also helps to heat up the water so it takes less time to boil and filters it), and a crockpot. Make a list of things you need on your last camping trip and put it with your camping gear. That way you will remember what you need before you go and have to pay extra at the campgrounds store. Now I can't wait to go.

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like the poster above...DH and I are tent campers from the time we were kids. We go for a week or more at a time in the cooler months (I don't camp in Florida in the summer months) and our preferred campground offers site water and electicity. But even still, it's quite primitive in many respects. Here's what we do..

We take three coolers. I get a hard freeze on all our meats except the meat we want to eat the first night which is always hamburgers and hot dogs. As things thaw, we eat them. The second cooler holds all the condiments, salads and fresh veggies. The third is a small cooler that holds fresh ice for drinks.

A week before we leave I make up a rough menu plan (including Breakfast's and Lunch) and always make a huge batch of homemade chili and Sloppy Joe's. The rest of the cooler contains frozen chicken, ground beef, steaks, bacon and sausage. The second cooler has all the homemade macaroni and potato salad as well as mustard, mayo, ketchup, pickles, etc. and any fresh fruits and veggies we need. And I ALWAYS take Italian deli meats to make our special Fishing sandwiches (we canoe and fish).

Pack everything else in plastic containers so they stack well and things like bread and chips won't get crushed. We also take plenty of canned goods like veggies, fruits and Ravioli's in case it's raining and we can't cook. I also store the coffee maker (for myself, it's the only time of year I drink coffee so it's kind of a special treat...DH uses his single serving Coffee Press) and a small toaster.

The bins also hold all our camping cookware including a big pot to do dishes. Lots of hand towels. Plastic table cloths to cover the picnic table and benches with and clamps and bungie cords to hold them in place in case of winds. Bungies across the table also make a great place to hang dish towels so they can dry. Clips make a great trash bag holder. A good sharp knife. A way to make fire if you plan on doing a camp fire. Marshmallows. Salt, pepper, I use a red ketchup squirter thing from the Dollar Store to take along a little Olive Oil. Shake and Pour Bisquick. Shelf Stable milk...we take Parmalat...doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's open. Ziplock bags, rubber bands (these always seem to come in handy for one reason or another), a deck of cards and some change so you can whip your DH at Penny Poker, Backgammon. Notepad and Pencil to make notes on things you've realized you've forgotten or overlooked for the next trip. Radio, CD's, Flashlights. Shower shoes and bath towels. Don't forget the camera's! Exterior extension cord and an Exterior Surge Protector to provide extra outlets if needed.

A small rug at the tent entrance to wipe your feet and a small wisp broom/dustpan to keep the tent swept out.

Extra rope, tarps, tent stakes, rake or broom, shovel. Make sure your ground is level and rake away any debris. Dig a trench around the tent with a run off valley in case of big rains. Tarp under the tent to keep extra moisture out.

And we never leave home without a bucket and toilet paper. We found that one of those large plastic coffee containers with a lid works great for those "middle of the night" times. DH carries them to the restrooms in the morning to dump them.

Get set up the first night, "Feather Your Nest" the next day so you know where everything is and spend the rest of your time enjoying your camping trip!

And if there's bears...dump your trash DAILY and store ALL foods in your vehicle...including the coolers!
    Last edited by MakeADollarHollar; 05-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eco soap-where do you buy that? Bears?? and in a tent! You're braver than me!
    I cleaned out a empty catsup bottle & put my oil in it. I know I will think of more......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Lee View Post
    Eco soap-where do you buy that?
    Was thinking of something like this: Uses for Pure Castile Soap

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a basket on my kitchen table, collecting all the "stuff", to be taken out to the camper. Shoe box beside it for the grands-bubbles, puzzle so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We always bring a bucket and fill it for safety by the campfire.

when the kids were small I would put an outfit for each day in gallon bags.

I partially cook some foods and wrap in foil at home. Sometimes we get back to camp late and are hungry and tired.

Carry a clothline for wet beach things and extra rope to tie down inflatables.

I bring a roll of quarters. Laundromats,car washes and vending machine.

I also make sure we have small denomination money. We are very likely to hit garage sales in small towns and find gems. I love older people who are tired of camping,fishing and hunting Equip.

I'll try and think of more later. Our goal is not to give up any of our scant vacation money for junk I had at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As MakeADollarHoller suggested, use plastic bins.

We have one huge tub that we put our tent poles, stakes, tarps, tent, air matresses, air pump, battery operated fan/lantern, gas lantern, camp stove, table cloth and clips, extension cords, camp lights to go around the picnic table and hot dog/marshmallow sticks. The tote is one of the biggest made and it is so convenient. When we are ready to go camping, all we have to do is grab that tote and we know everything we need is in it (besides the food of course).

We have a camping checklist of what our family takes. All we have to do is grab the list and mark it off as we gather the rest of what we need. Keeps us from forgetting anything and no need to make a quick run to the local store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since our camper is parked year round on the site we rent at the lake we go almost every weekend year round. It is a simple hours drive.

What I do is I have 2 large plastic bins(GMTA!) one holds the dry foods, one holds the clothes for the weekend and then I buy 2 large bags of ice that stay in the bags laid side by side in the cooler with the cold food left in the shopping bags packed around it.

I set it all right by the front door. My dh gets home from work and grabs the tubs and coolers into the truck. I have already fed the animals for the weekend, cleaned house, and got everything shut down and in an hour we are at the lake visiting with family and friends.

I usually serve foods like tacos, casseroles I can just microwave, chili pie, etc the first night. Since I have oven, stove, micro, fridge and freezer and hot/cold water preparing and storing foods are not an issue neither is bathing. I won't be much help help there for tent roughing it...you gals are tough!!!

This time a year we leave our ac on 80 and the ceiling fan on in the camper so when we get there we are not burning up hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast