2011 Camping Season...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb 2011 Camping Season...

All right, give us the low down! Where you going? when? Are you preparing now?
    We leave the last week of May, for right here in IN. Going to our first Samboree! I've already started to fill a box with personal items, paper plates, salt & pepper, plastic silverware, etc, ready to put in the camper. I've set aside my sheets & blankets.
    New to the camper this year~ we bought a small (never seen one this small) oil filled heater & a pkg of microwave plates-that also can be heated in oven up to 500*. I will need to buy new foam toppers for the beds. It's so hard to put the fitted sheet on the twin size beds-I've been thinking on how to make a velco liner-stuff my topper in, & sit it on top of the mattress? But would it be slippery & fall off during the night? You know, with all the moving when sleeping. We need to do "something" with the blind @ the dinette window. The string broke on our last trip, last year. I called a blind shop here & asked if they could re-string it & was told they didn't re-string. Go figure? They make blinds but yet couldn't restring..oh well. So, do I get new one, go to a salvage shop & look around, or try to restring it myself? I've seen instructions.
    ANYWAY's what are you doing? Are you dreaming too? AND with the price of gas/diesel--are you changing your plans?
    Lots of questions-get busy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were supposed to go to the Black Hills this spring but then I thought we canceled, but 'someone' keeps bringing it up, so now I'm not sure.

The camper still has snow on it.

I added the second and last window to the QuikShade canopy walls, so that's ready to go. We will be going Wisconsin for a weekend this summer, and are still sort of talking about North Dakota, too. A weekend trip to Canada might be nice in the fall. We were gone so much last year (40 nights, 9,000 miles) we're feeling like we need to stay home and work on projects around the house instead of traveling so much this year.

Gas prices don't have anything to do with it for us. The added cost really doesn't amount to that much overall, unless you're talking about thousands of miles. All of our proposed trips would be within 1,000 miles (one way), so not that far.

I got two more Mair Dutch oven lid lifters recently, and also have a Lodge Combo Cooker coming, all for camp cooking. We did a whole bunch of mods (modifications) to our camper last year so don't have a lot to do with that this spring. We do need to look at the furnace that wasn't working on our last trip out last fall. We want to add a box on the A frame to hold the two deep-cycle batteries, so may have to look into that. Other than that, it's just a matter of making up the bunks with the linens that were washed last fall, loading up food and clothes, and taking off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We plan to take our twins on our their first camping trip this summer! We're planning to go to some campgrounds at the American resort at Edelweiss in the Bavarian mountains. We need to get a bigger tent- but we have the rest of the gear we need.

Oh... I guess we also need to get a camp stove. We have a backpacking one, but it's not big enough for family meals. We may just rent one from Outdoor Recreation.

If this trip goes well, we may plan a trip over to Switzerland. But if we do, we will bring ALL items needed. Everyone says things are expensive there but the views are amazing. DH went there on a church retreat and loved it and I haven't been yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family normally goes camping for a few days at Assateague in MD. This year in addition to that trip we are also camping for four days at Lake George in NY. Other than booking and paying for these days I haven't done much planning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We will be camping pretty close to home this summer since gas prices are so high. I'm hoping for at least one three day weekend away a month, April through Oct. I'm planning our first trip for spring break weekend...the last weekend in April.

I worked in a state park campground for the last four summers so I am ready for some remote camping LOL. A friend of ours has a big farm on the river and he has a camp set up there. It's complete with picnic table, outhouse, gas grill, horseshoe pits, etc and only used by his family on holiday weekends. We never camp on those weekends so it's all ours any other time!

I worked every stinking weekend from April 1 to Oct 31 for the last four summers so I am so ready to have weekends with my family again!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are putting camping on hold until July. We want to buy a camper and if we don't' spend any extra money will can have it in three months. So we have a big trip planned to camp in the keys with my parents at the end of July. It's going to be hard not going this spring but it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our first camping of 2011 is getting near! Hubby is washing & waxing the camper. I'm keeping a basket on the kitchen table--I'll go by & drop "stuff" in, to be taken out. I haven't mopped the floor yet..waiting for hubby to flush the lines.
    Have you already gone camping? Where? Anything to share?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are spending a week at Ocean City, MD in July can't wait.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took my son on our first camping trip of the season this past weekend. We had an awesome time! I love camping! It rained on and off all weekend with bursts of sun. The rain just added to the fun of making the puddles bigger!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took our first trip in early April only to find out the hot water tank was rusted through. You wouldn't think that would have happened on a 5 year old motorhome! But it is fixed and we have taken a few local trips since then. We are planning on twice a month through October. It will be mostly local since I do not have the vacation time this year that I have had the last couple years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're not going anywhere till next month, but we did get the cover off the pop up finally. Miraculously, the trunk lid didn't crack this year from all the snow on it. We haven't opened it up yet but will have to pretty soon.

We made the decision early last winter to stay home and work on our home improvement projects this year. It's a good thing we decided that with gas prices the way they are and the potential for my husband being locked out of his job July 1 with no pay. At this time last year, we were winding up months of planning and preparation for an expensive trip to Yellowstone. If the state had been talking about shutting down then, we'd have had to cancel our trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back from our 1st Good Sams Samboree, our 1st camping trip of 2011. Good time! Rained all the way there, rained the next day. DEBATED whether to throw in the sleeping bags--mistake! I did NOT take them--slept the 1st night in our clothes, blankets & the heater running all night. Live & learn! New idea for this year... I put wintergreen isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle & used it as a disinfect for cleaning the table etc. Smells good, too.
    Food- I cooked chicken breast to almost done, cooled & put in freezer bags. I put bbq sauce in one & Country Bob's sauce in another. I finished cooking in the toaster oven. Good! I cooked potatoes whole to almost done. 2 fell apart, so I mashed them in a micro container, added cream cheese & butter, reheated in the micro/delish! I took yogurt & cool whip, mixed together for dessert-good! Made cinnamon toast one morning. Tried turkey brats for the 1st time-good & less calories. I think canned baked beans taste as good as HM, so we had that with the brats.
    Lights were off the last couple of nights, glad we had a flashlight. Used the umbrellas! Need to take an extra rug for wet shoes.
    Went from rain & cold to last day of running fans....
    ~to~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spent 4 days out on the land last weekend as part of a local area patrol with the Rangers. 7 hour quad (Canadian for 4-wheeler) ride into a large set of rapids on the Nelson River, set up camp for 4 days, practice survival skills then head home.

On the way in, we had to cross a couple of creeks, one small one with ice on it thick enough to drive across and another larger one that we had to build a log bridge to cross. Made it across there then worked our way to Gull Rapids. Fairly warm heading in, and the second day we spent the morning building debris huts and survival shelters, practiced primitive fire-making skills and food procurement, then wandered down to the rapids. Still 30+ feet of ice on the shores. Walking around on the ice, watching icebergs calve into the frigid water, it was hot in t-shirts, and I got a bit of a sunburn. That evening it started snowing and we woke up to about 2 inches on the ground.

During the day we did a little exploring, and set up a big teepee around where we had the fire pit and moved our kitchen area into it. It snowed and was raining/sleeting most of the next day as well, from around -10 overnight to about -4 (celcius) during the day. We checked our traplines and had rabbit and northern pike for supper. After supper we made our way back to the bridge we made to reinforce it (it was a little shaking heading in).

The next day we broke camp and made our way back to the trucks for the 1 1/2 hour drive back to town.

First camping trip of the "summer" season. I'll have to get some pictures up when I get back home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Google Maps

We set up camp in the clearing in the trees in the middle of this screen. The cutlines are a combination of old traplines and survey lines cut for development of a new hydroelectric station that will be built at these rapids (supposed to be starting the road and construction camp later this year). We came in from the Northwest.

I'm really glad I got to see this place before it's fully developed. We were the very first people to ever take quads (4 wheelers) in there. It has a lot of snowmobile traffic in the winter from local trappers and hunters, and there have been survey and geotech camps in there in the past few summers, all by helicopter access though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some pics:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast