Yipes! Canceling THAT vacation!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Yipes! Canceling THAT vacation!

We have been working on our state park passport book since 1989. The gist of that is, you get a stamp in the passport for every new park you visit. So far, we've been to forty parks. When we got our passport there were only 64 parks, but now it's closer to eighty. Anyway, we had so much fun meandering around northwest Minnesota on our way to North Dakota a couple weeks ago and visiting eight new parks, we decided we'd like to try for all the parks in southern Minnesota and whatever we haven't visited on the route home.

So this morning we planned a route and my husband Mapquested it. Over 1,900 miles! Holy moley! Who knew you could drive 1,900 miles without leaving Minnesota and not see half the state?

This trip ain't happ'nin'. It wouldn't be any fun to try to make that kind of mileage every day for that sort of destination. Not to mention we'll blow ~some~ gas money picking up park stamps, but that's a lot of money just to get 22 new stamps. So I think we'll just take short side trips when we're heading in the general direction of new parks, like we did on the last trip where our destination was the Peace Garden in North Dakota.

So now we have the pleasant problem of figuring out a new vacation destination. Maybe the UP in Michigan or the Smokies in Tennessee. We'll only have a week so need to stay within 1,000 miles. But there's that sticker map with all the states we've been to that hasn't been added to in a couple of years, so maybe we need to think about some new states. Or there's the national park passport that is sorely in need of new stamps, too. And our friends in Oklahoma would like us to come down for a small rally this fall. It all sounds fun.

We shall see. Research awaits...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We shall see. Research awaits...
    But THAT is half the fun.............making all the plans........"dreaming"..........thinking it can be done.........then going ..........and off to Plan B!!

Oh-how many times I have done that!!!.............have the Australia visa stamp in my passport.................and never made it. Think that was the year plan B was China!!

I am 'slowly' working on my Alaska trip...........and have already gone to plan B for part of it...........I ALWAYS overload too. One place I wanted to go only has a ferry ONCE A WEEK.........................not happening!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, we love all the discussions and planning and dreaming, too. Can't wait to see Utah, Idaho, any ocean, Maine, the Aliner factory in Pennsylvania, Niagara Falls, the UP, western Oklhoma, Sheridan Wyoming, the list is endless.

We were going to go to the SPAM museum in Austin, MN, this trip but we'll see that some other time.

We'll have to look into Mammoth and the Smokies again. I was never comfortable towing our last rig so my husband did most of the driving, but my biggest problem with the new rig is remembering the trailer is back there. It tows like a dream. So we could put in longer driving days with two drivers and go farther, at least in theory.

We wouldn't mind going back to the Ozarks and maybe Arkansas again, either.

We spent all this money on the new trailer. Gotta rack up some major mileage on it now. It's a waste of money if it sits in the yard all the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Yeah, we love all the discussions and planning and dreaming, too. Can't wait to see Utah, Idaho, any ocean,

We wouldn't mind going back to the Ozarks and maybe Arkansas again, either.

HEY..............you left WASHINGTON off the list!!...........it is beautiful here........we even have a nice rainforest. And you have to take the 101 drive down the coast ..........that is some GORGEOUS territory.

NO...........don't back track until you have taken steps forward...........you will get too comfy and keep returning there. Gotta see NEW LAND!!

(I got 'in a rut' and went to Costa Rica three times......loved it so much!! Lived there for a spell.....loved it that much.....THEN I got to see it much more REALISTICALLY!))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Washington falls into the 'see any ocean' category. We're planning to get out to WA and OR by doing a loop tour wherein we race as fast as we can across ND and Montana, stop at Yellowstone because we can't NOT stop, whiz through northern Idaho, see WA, see the Pacific, see Oregon, see southern Idaho, either stop at YS again or see southern WY, whiz across SD, and then come back home. We're just waiting to see if we really want to do a three-week trek. This idea of having two drivers is a recent development, so we have to change the way we think and plan. But the PNW is on the priority list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Washington falls into the 'see any ocean' category. We're planning to get out to WA and OR by doing a loop tour wherein we race as fast as we can across ND and Montana, stop at Yellowstone because we can't NOT stop, whiz through northern Idaho, see WA, see the Pacific, see Oregon, see southern Idaho, either stop at YS again or see southern WY, whiz across SD, and then come back home. We're just waiting to see if we really want to do a three-week trek. This idea of having two drivers is a recent development, so we have to change the way we think and plan. But the PNW is on the priority list. We do want to see Olympic NP sometime.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know you will find somewhere fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're leaning towards Mammoth/Smokies/Cherokee NC but knowing us, we'll change our minds approximately 5,345,962 times before we go. We have a while to think about it because our housesitter is going to Italy soon so we can't go till after she's home again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When you are aiming to get near Astoria/Seaside, yell. I am on the coast side of Portland. I might be able to tell you some cool things to see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG, Spirit Deer! Slow down & enjoy the scenery. Why would you want to race anywhere?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If there's nothing we want to see in between here and places we haven't seen, then we'll just breeze through the states we've seen. We've been to some of the areas we'd be driving through and if we've already seen them, we can't waste time stopping again. Like North Dakota. We love ND, but we've been a bunch of places in it so now it's a drive-through state for us. Ditto for South Dakota and most of Minnesota and Montana. So the best thing to do is just drive across ND, MT, and MN as fast as safely possible. That's about a thousand miles or so, at least a two-day drive if we push it. So that makes the round trip four days, just to get beyond an area we've already visited. If we only have two or three weeks, we wouldn't see anything if we didn't get out of familiar areas ASAP.

Where we live, we have to drive at least a day just to get to anywhere. The first day of travel for us is always just putting miles on the odometer and buying gas and that's about it. We're not retired so time is always an issue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, now I understand. If you go thru IN, stop & visit RV Museum Hall of Fame in Elkhart. It's just off the toll road. Wonderful place. The antique campers are a true treasure. I think you would enjoy it. Enjoy & be careful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are the personification of careful! We tow at about sixty mph when speed limits allow that, don't drive when we're too tired, drive very defensively, check our equipment frequently, and figure trip times at fifty miles per hour which usually is right on the money. Mapping software never gives an accurate time estimate, so if we went by that, we'd always be behind schedule and rushed, which is never good.

We've wanted to see the RV Museum for a long time. We bought our last canvas pop up in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and it almost killed us to cruise right by the sign for the RV Museum. We had zero time on that trip, plus it was in December and we were having problems with the trailer brakes locking up in a fun-filled heart-stopping bumper to bumper semi-truck traffic-fest on a major highway during a lake-effect snowstorm, so we wanted nothing more than to GET HOME or at least get away from Lake Michigan. We wouldn't have gotten anything out of that museum at that point in time anyway. Our nerves were far too frazzled. But we do plan to get back there, if not this year then in a couple years when we have an event out that way. Are you sure it's open again? We heard it closed when the RV market started crashing a few years ago.

I don't think the RV Museum would be on our route if we go to the Smokies. Mapquest routed us through Chicago and Indy, but luckily we can think for ourselves and we would be avoiding those areas, so would not get far enough east to see the museum. Driving through Milwaukee and Chi-town was so much fun the last time (not) that we don't really care to repeat that experience any time soon. We'd stay west of both big cities. It's usually easier and for sure less dangerous and stressful to just route ourselves around metro areas even if it's further to drive. We hate towing in traffic, especially if we're not familiar with a place. We used to live in Minneapolis and even avoid that now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, the museum is open. It never closed. The museum received help, I think-not for sure-don't quote me, from Camping World. Spirit Deer, it is such a
    joy to go thru. Even has Mae West's camper!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bet Mae West's trailer has all the weight in the front end!

Yes, we're looking forward to it. All in good time! We want to see the SPAM museum in Austin, MN, and the mustard museum over by Madison, WI, too. In fact, there's a huge long list of stuff we want to see in Wisconsin. We'd like to go back to Door County for one thing, and see a bunch of stuff in the rest of the state we haven't seen. We love camping in Wisconsin, even if their state park sticker this year is hideous. We're saving back some of the shorter trips for when we don't have as much time or gas prices really go crazy.

I haven't started the research to find out what there is along our route to the Smokies yet. If we find too much stuff to see and figure we don't have enough time, we'll just postpone the trip till we have more time. Then we'll probably go to the UP.