Last camping of 2012
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Last camping of 2012

We just did a 4 day camping...last of 2012. I've started preparing the camper for it's winter sleep. We visited museums & spent 1 day
    garage saling. The weather was perfect & the trees are beautiful. We saw some very pretty fall decorations. We grilled & the meals were
    simple. If we had stayed @ the campground, the yippee dog that barked -all day long- (barking when we left & still barking when we
    got home) would have driven me nuts. We had a good time.
    Any last of the season campers here? Are you enjoying the fall splendor?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What do you mean last camping of the season? Winter is the BEST time for camping

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some of us aren't so hardcore, low-1!

We'll be winterizing the camper later today. I don't know if that means we've had our last trip for the year or not, but it's likely. Too many other priorities before winter really sets in.

Today it's sunny and warm. Forecast for tomorrow is a high in the forties, wind, and snow. Typical fall weather for here, but not conducive to getting our outside projects done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are leaving tomorrow for a four day trip. It has lots of hills and climbing rocks and woods. The trees are always gorgeous this time of year. And we have another planned for two weeks from now. I said it would be our last but hubby said if it stays half way decent into Nov., maybe we can fit in another trip. It was very mild last winter, I am hoping it will be this winter too.

We have already gone up to this campground in early October and had snow flurries all day long. It won't be the case this weekend but highs are supposed to be in the 50's. But it is great campfire weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We'll be leaving in a week and a half to go garage saling during the Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana. Just like every year, I expect it to be cold and rainy at some point while we're gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, I've done the festival! So much fun!
    I cleaned out the camper today. Hubby flushed the lines with antifreeze. You sure don't know how much stuff you have in there, till you have to make a million
    trips in the house with it. I put softener sheets anywhere & everywhere. I usually bring in all the paper stuff, but this year I put it all in a tote
    & kept it in the camper.
    Low1, from your picture you are a young man. When you get my age, you don't like to be out on the ice or snow. I can't imagine driving
    that camper in a snow storm. But you enjoy yourself while you're young. And keep a journal of all your trips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ali, ya, I suppose I am . I have posted some of my adventures on here in the past, and will definitely continue to do so. As a member of the Canadian Rangers, there is definitely no shortage of winter camping adventures in my future. Between our patrol and Churchill's, there are likely a dozen members or more that are over 60, one at least over 70, who still travel literally 1000 miles over sea ice and tundra, setting up tents in blizzards, hunt and trap for food and gather firewood. All in the name of fun .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you see polar bears low-1? It sounds fun...to read about...not to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We winterized our camper, too. Just in time. It's in the thirties here. We're debating now if we should leave the top up or down for winter.

We leave most everything in it except food that would spoil and stuff that can't freeze. So now I need to figure out where to put that stuff, too.

It looks like winter might be early this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's better when we don't see them lol. Seen a few as we have been travelling past, never when we've been stopped at camp for the night. Which is just fine by us, since the walls of the canvas tents are not an effective bear deterrent. When we're out on exercise, we usually have a couple of guys posted as bear guard overnight, especially when we are looking after the reserve or reg force guys.

Just south of Churchill, you can see a momma and cub track, fresh enough to still have fur drag marks in the paw prints while we were travelling in a blizzard. We got our rifles strapped on after seeing that. Luckily we didn't have to use them.

And this guy was about 400m from where we had some work to do cleaning up a travel corridor for a dogsled race.

I'm pretty sure I've posted them before, but here's a link to an album from our last big winter camping trip from last year. We went up to Churchill, met up with the guys there, then came back along the coast of Hudson Bay to Port Nelson. While in Wapusk National Park, we were able to set up camp in a fenced compound for researchers and park staff. We travelled on sea ice from there to Port, where we were camped on shore, right in the middle of the season when the mothers leave the dens with their cubs to go out to the bay. It was an amazing trip. I love winter camping!

Exercise Wily Coyote pictures by low-1_bucket - Photobucket

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very cool, in more ways than one!

What always amazes me about polar bears is how huge their paws are, much bigger than our black bears here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very cool! Bears are best seen in photos. Lol. I don't want to think about seeing them out camping.

Do you do this as a job low-1? Very adventurous!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish it was my full time job. Canadian Rangers are a sub group of the Army Reserves. We're part of 4CRPG, 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group.

4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group - Welcome Page

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Canadian forces stood with us through 9/11 and its aftermath, so I thank you for your service even though we're from different countries.