1st camping trip of 2013,,
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool 1st camping trip of 2013,,

Tuesday we leave for 3 nights of camping. I've been working on cleaning, dusting, mopping, & rearranging cupboards. How can it be so dirty after being closed up all winter??? The camper is looking so good. I'm in the process of filling the frig. We'll be having taco mac in the crockpot one night, hamburgers & hot dogs on the grill the other 2. I'll be baking a chocolate cake, making strawberry jello, & ranch pretzels to take. Going to an antique auction, antique stores, bulk food store, garage sales on Thursday & travelling the countryside.
    When are you leaving for your 1st trip? Fill us in on your plans...
    Safe journey!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We probably won't get to go anywhere till we head to the Black Hills and Wyoming for our RV rally in July. I have a lot to do to get ready. First thing, I have to fix a cabinet door that ripped off its hinges from the drawers banging into it from the back side. I also have to figure out some way to lock the door shut in transit, too. I have a long list of other mods I want to get done before then, but probably won't get most of those done. I do have to for sure get the high wind kit installed and the extra seal added to the roof, in hopes that'll fix the leaks we get when towing in the rain. If I get those three things done, I'll be happy and not worry about all the other things I want to get done.

I also have a brand new propane outdoor oven to play with, and two new camp stoves. So June will be busy here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had our first trip may6-8 th and it was so much fun. We were pretty much the only ones in the whole campground but the weather was gorgeous. My baby loved it...something I was worried about. My daughter had a blast being dirty. Dh and I got to chill and relax.

Next trip planned for June 5th.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't wait for our first trip!! We go at the end of June for a few days so the boys can fish. We also have a trip in July and one in August camping at the beach. There will be other trips but this is all we've got planned so far!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are leaving Friday for a float trip. Will be roughing it in a dingy motel with no amenities for two nights, on the water all day Saturday. There's a "restaurant" with questionable food at the site. There's a chance they do fine country home cookin', but I am planning for the worst. Will be taking a supply of trail mix, bananas, boiled eggs, etc.

Will also need some ear plugs and probably my own pillow. Reviews say the beds aren't very good and the loud drunk fishermen will keep us up at night. Whee.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's hard to believe there's only 4 of us, here @ FV, that camps! We're back & had a really good time. Drove the back roads, visited stores, went to a thrift store, got ice cream, sat outside & watched the world go by. Found out we've got a leak & the brake lights came on coming home..ugh! We parked across from the tent camping area. Out of the tens of dog owners, I saw only 2 picked up after their dogs. This park had bags available everywhere. Well, I was watching this guy with his dog. Not only did it go once, but about 4x's without any of it being picked up. When he was walking by my camper, the dog came to me! I said you didn't pick up after your dog. He said his dog didn't do anything. Well...he shouldn't have said that! I can't remember the exact words..but I did include his dog s**tt**g diamonds... LOL. I figured my windows would be knocked out by morning.. But we left ok. Wheww... What was really bad, 2 bicycle riders came in & camped in that area. I talked with the help about it. They said it's out of control.
    Anyway...
    I didn't buy any food for camping. I just used what we had. Wore what we had. Did not eat out except for a black raspberry custard. We just had campground expense & gas/diesel.
    Ready to go again..after checking out our new problems....
    This year I'm REALLY going to use our pudgy pie maker. I keep saying that but never do!!
    '

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We got rained out. Severe weather came through Friday night and made the river unsafe. We left early Saturday after not getting any sleep because of the $#@!'s in the room next to us being drunk and loud. Management wouldn't move our room. I guess their bad reviews were warranted. We'll try again later at a different place.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still looking forward to getting started with our camping season!! So besides what I already said we are planning to take a tent and do a quick 2 or 3 days in the Sequoia's. We use to tent camp all the time but then I got spoiled by the RV and the tent got packed away! I love just going and putting my feet up. If we do stuff great, if we don't, even better! My dh is currently planning several trips, not sure how many we will actually take!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't deal with lazy people who are too important to clean up after their dogs. More and more parks are banning dogs and that's one reason why. If we can no longer camp with our dog, we can no longer camp, and that would suck.

Sounds like you had a great trip, except for the 'shtuffheads'. We still haven't gotten out. I have to fix a door that ripped off the hinges in our trailer and do some mods. It's been a cold wet spring here so far.

I'm selling our 'we're scared to tow in the Rockies' tent. We'll take a beating on it but there's no point keeping it. It's a brand new Eureka! Copper Canyon 8. Oh, well. I have a huge list of really great gear I'm selling. Gotta get the excess out of here. We just don't have room for it all, and why keep it when we'll never use it. It would be torture to have to set up a whole tenting camp vs. spending thirty seconds popping up the trailer, so I know we'll never do it.

I've given away about a dozen Pie Irons at our rallies the past few years. I bought a huge pail full of them for a dollar at a garage sale a few years ago because I wanted the two brat cookers that were in the pail with all the rest. All of them were so rusty they were orange. I refurbed them, made some money publishing an article about it, and then used them for door prizes so we didn't have to buy anything for that. Save, save, oh yeah, and earn. We don't use ours much either but we don't usually have a fire. I had two jaffle irons in the mix so I kept those. They're like Pie Irons but with shorter handles, so they're easier to use on the stove burners.

We don't buy special food very much for camping either. Being able to save money is a big part of why we camp, and if we're spending a lot extra for special foods, that cuts down on the savings. We do stock up on snack crackers when we see them on close-out, Pop Tarts, and a few things like that which we usually don't have at home. Still way cheaper than restaurants.

CH, that sucks about the rain and the hotel room too.

Cali, I'd love to see the sequoias someday. They must be just amazing.

I just want to go somewhere, but it'll be a few weeks yet.

Maybe we should start a challenge to use gear we keep saying we'll use but won't. I'd have a few things for that list!

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our favorite campground doesn't open until the middle of June. We are going june 15-18.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to camp when I lived on the mainland. When I moved to Hawaii I camped the whole way from Connecticut to California - driving the VW Bug that a friend wanted I. CA - and sleeping in a Kid's tent - curled around the center pole! What a great experience!

Now I need flushing toilets and running water! Love reading about all your adventures!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey, we have a flushing toilet and running water! Even a fancy European-style sink with folding faucet!

And comfy beds with heated mattress pads! Plus a built-in foot warmer!

And all the comforts of home!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That looks like so much fun. Last weekend I got to see the inside of one I really liked. It is this model: Time Out Deluxe Time Out Deluxe Motorcycle Camper - $4,195.00 : Open Road Outfitters, Motorcycle Campers and Trailers, Harley Hitches, Escapade, Time Out, Mini Mate It's huge inside, and it folds up into an itty-bitty trailer that a motorcycle can pull. But DH would never go for it. He didn't grow up camping and he's uncomfortable outdoors. I would love to go up into the mountains with that.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We almost bought a Combi-Camp a few years ago, similar to the one you linked to. It was just basic but it only weighed about 700 pounds, so could literally be pulled by most any car and some motorcycles. It just folded out and set up in a couple of minutes. Basically it was a just a bed with a small dressing area at the foot of the bed. Very cool rig. But we opted for more amenities, being as lazy and spoiled as we are, so we bought the second Palomino instead. Here we are at Keyholes SP, near Moorcroft, Wyoming, and Devil's Tower.

You can see why buying the Aliner is a huge downsize we're still getting used to!

It's too bad your husband doesn't like to camp, but like anything else, it's not for everyone. I think sometimes people without camping experience don't realize how easy it is to be comfortable, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got back yesterday from our second trip. It was another great trip.

Went on a bike ride. Saw 3 moose, deer, and elk. Had a picnic. DD made a little friend. Baby slept like an angel. And it only rained as we pulled out to go home.

Might be going again next Sunday on Father's Day. Have to pick the place though. It's been 2 trips to the mountains. Maybe a trip to the badlands next?

We saw one like yours spirit deer on this trip. Looked neat.

I am so not a tent person. My flush toilet makes me happy lol

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast