2015 Camping Plans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2015 Camping Plans

~This year I've got a loose plan of 12 weekends at State Parks within 100 miles of us(require no vacation days), plus 3 four-day trips a little farther out(require 2 vacation days each), plus a big 9 day trip around DH's birthday, plus the really big CO to East Coast trip of 14 days. It's only loose because I haven't gotten DH's go-ahead yet to do all the bookings at once(save $100 in res fees). Should get plan approval this weekend.

All in all we plan to spend over 50 nights in our camper in 2015 and travel about 10000 miles. We're hoping to add at least 6 new state stickers to our map this year.

With the price of gas + overnights in mostly state parks + park fees, we expect to spend about $2500 on these trips. I've budgeted $3600 for the year so this allows some wiggle room for camper maintenance/service, propane & firewood, anything special we may want to do and any increase in gas prices.

Something really fun and new for this year will be bow shooting. We all have bows now and more and more CO state parks are adding ranges. Hopefully later this year or early next we will have the new-to-us truck and we can take our bikes. I will look into using our roof rack for them, but I'm concerned about the wind drag. Will have to read up and crunch numbers on that.

So, plans? Dreams? Where are you going this year?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a ton of info about hauling bikes on the forum I referred you to a while back.

I don't know what we're doing this year. We may go to the Black Hills again in May. I'd like to go to Yellowstone in September but we won't if we go to the Hills in May, since we could piggyback both destinations and save gas. We won't know if we can do anything in September till my friend from MA knows if they are coming out here to go fishing in September. If they come early enough, we may go up to the UP after they've been here. (I say that every year.)

We're hoping to do some weekends nearby, maybe go up to Thunder Bay in Ontario, too. But we have a ton of to-do's on the list for the old homestead this year, and if fall is like it usually is, we'll be scrambling to get things done before the snow flies. So much up here depends on weather. So this year again the home projects are going to be the priority. Next year, we should be able to do some more definite planning.

At the least, we're hoping to get the HydroBike trailer modified so we can hit some of the nearby lakes and do some pedaling around on them. Another project that jeopardizes our spring camping trip, along with disassembling, moving, and reassembling our dock and doing a little more work on our lakeshore to make it easy to use our new bikes. I suspect Husby will talk me into the South Dakota trip though. He always wants to go out there, and the baby bison and baby donkeys will be there for our entertainment at that time of year. Big temptation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some big plans this year, although not frugal.

Have my bigger RV up for sale. Spring is around the corner and it's in great shape, hoping it will sell soon. It will help with what I'll be doing coming up.

Have bought an older conversion van, the kind with the higher top. We took out the seats and back bench. With an open slate I'll be converting it to live out of while traveling. Am aiming to drive all 48 states, and getting to the last two US states by air or boat. In remembrance of my late husband. Leaving a part of him in each state, as a way of letting go.

The not so frugal part is the gas, of course. It's an expense I don't really have to spend, it's a want not a need. But I can live with that. Will do the things I can to increase gas mileage, like keeping tires properly inflated, driving slower, being easy on the brake and gas in towns, and the like.

There will be some frugal things I'll be doing while on this trip, though. For one, I won't be staying at an RV parks. I'm outfitting the van to be self-contained without need for electric, water or sewer hookups. Staying at free places. Heck, I'll be driving mostly and only needing to sleep, so sense paying just to sleep. Walmart parking lots will be my friend, I imagine.

We made a frame for a near full sized bed at the back, so no motel staying, either. I have a portable potty and will be rigging up a shower setup with my solar shower to take care of bathroom necessities. Will also have a kitchen setup of sorts, so will staying out of restaurants almost completely (save a must eat weird place). A lot of non-perishables and a cooler for those things needing to keep cool. Figured I can get fresh every few days. Would be a good excuse to get out and stretch my legs by needing to stop at a grocery store.

Mostly will be driving, but will be stopping at interesting places. Places that are off the wall or free or state parks or just plain weird, lol. Will not be hitting the touristy places, too expensive. And not main interstates, side highways that I can see the countryside at a slower pace.

It won't be all done at once, more in segments. To follow the weather, mainly. I won't have air conditioning except when driving, so will have to plan for that. Aiming for northern climes in the hotter months and the southern states in winter months.

The first small trip, my tryout, is Texas in a few weeks. To test how the van will run and to see how everything will be on the camping side. See what's needed, and what isn't. Will be taking my daughter and her pooch (along with my pooch) on this trip with me. I have family there in case we run into trouble, so thought that state would be best. Plus, it's warmer there!! haha

May take me a while to hit all 50 states, but it's a good time in my life to do this right now. Am trying to write it down on a blog to keep track of it all. Gives me something to do anyways.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We tent camp - will probably do a few weekends at some state parks in Il . . Shawnee, Pere Marquette, Starved Rock, maybe a few others.

If I can get the time off work, I want to go to Alaska in June and camp while there. My son (a US Marine stationed in Japan) will be in Alaska for a month, and we'd love to see him, but not sure my work schedule will allow enough time off to make the trip.
    ran
    We also might make a camping trip in the fall to Branson MO area. . . visit friends, catch a couple shows, relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I've spent my free time over the last couple weeks planning and booking camping trips. Lots of quick jaunt 3-day weekends and a couple longer trips. It was very tricky matching our open weekends with availability at campgrounds. I got in almost everywhere I wanted to go this year but it was a LOT of work over many days, lots of research, and erasing and rewriting schedules.

The reservation window isn't open yet for Autumn trips, my fave, but I marked the dates when I can book, with the sites I want and when. There is a lot of competition for campsites out here so reservations are a must and you have to act quickly when they become available.

Camping is the best though. Lots of book reading, hikes, swimming, simple meals, board games, quiet nights under the stars, and cold ones around the fire. Can't wait!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

probably none I have a vintage trailer that needs a lot of work and dh gave me a new (2003) travel trailer for Christmas but we don't have anything to tow it with. He has a truck that he has been 'fixing' for about 7yrs now and even if he did fix it I wouldn't trust it to tow the trailer.
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wunsagin View Post
    probably none I have a vintage trailer that needs a lot of work and dh gave me a new (2003) travel trailer for Christmas but we don't have anything to tow it with. He has a truck that he has been 'fixing' for about 7yrs now and even if he did fix it I wouldn't trust it to tow the trailer.
    You can always do what I've done in the past.. I've used them pretty much as my sanity retreat. My own little play house if you will. I've 'camped' in the driveway, alley, and backyard too many times to count. If my family couldn't find me, I was probably reading a book or watching a movie or making dinner out in whatever camper we had at the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got to stealth camp in town last weekend, trying out the van. It slept awesome!! Even got down in the upper 30's and without heat running all night. That nice new wool blanket my lil sis got me as a van-gift over the comforter did great! The two mattress toppers instead of a real mattress slept wonderfully. Yesterday I hung out in it in the driveway just reading a book with the doors open listening to the birds, it was nice.

Still waiting on the title so I can hit the road. I am anxious!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stayed in Texas for 10 days, I slept in it every night, it worked great! A few issues popped up that weren't really issues, all is good. Hit Kansas with my high school bestie, though that was just a day trip. RV is sold, they are just doing a house refi to pay for it.. it's okay, I'm patient.

Loaned a friend the van, as I have other wheels, was just supposed to be for one day, I finally got it back from someone else 5 days later. So much for trying to be nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK, here are our first plans from the UK, post prostate-cancer diagnosis. Last week in May, we are hoping to drive to Scotland, and take the mini-camper-van off to the Outer Hebrides for a week.

He really, really wants to start doing "normal" things again. I try not to be anxious . . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It has been decided. We are going to Iceland. On one hand; it is completely crazy and non frugal, on the other hand; we do have the money set aside and we will have a lot of fun.

Now to spend more money, turning the electric van into a motorhome, and figuring out how we are going to find enough charging places in Iceland.
    Debt: -$60 000
    Savings: $43 200
    Net total: -$16 800

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I absolutely LOVE camping. It is my favorite escape from the world.

For me, relaxing next to a campfire is the best therapy out there.

2015 Camping Plans-camping.jpg

Since I camp alone, I usually choose state parks. I don't have an RV or even a travel trailer. I use my trusty little tent.

I am blessed to have a ton of them within driving distance from home and will be visiting as many as possible again this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing like sitting by the campfire, so mesmerizing!