Motorhome, anyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Motorhome, anyone?

Dh and I have a year-old motorhome (24' Class C) and took off the month of July last year to travel the Northwest -- Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. We've taken two-week-long trips up and down California and shorter trips up and down the California/Oregon coast. Anyone else own a motorhome and would like to compare notes?

~Winnow

edit: oops! It was July of this year that we took off!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, we own an ancient (1972) 19 foot motorhome that we have taken lots of places over the years. Unfortunately, it currently is sidelined with a bad transmission, so we didn't take it at all this past summer (took our van instead and slept in it)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Over the last several years, dh and I have traveled with our best friends across the country and back on several different occasions. They own a $1.000.000.000 Newell Coach. It has all of the gizmos and gadgets in it and like I told them, the more you have, the more there is to take care of and shell out the $$$$$$$$$ for. Oh it has been fun though, but if iit were me, I would settle for a small motor home. BTW, if you know of anyone who wants to buy this coach, it is setting at Newell now down in Miami, Oklahoma. The selling price is $600.000

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a camper does that count? (the kind you pull).

I'd love to oneday own a Motorhome! I think it would be great to load up and take off for a week or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We ahd a Motorhome when I was still with Bob- He still has it It was an older 75 Dodge Diplomat with a strong motor and Generator - I gutted the inside and completely redid it all my self - it was /is wonderful - huge killer cd player, PLaystation for the kids - Big comfy beds and sofas and dining table - its a 24'. We used to go everywhere in that and when the kids and I left Bob we took it and lived in it for three months and were pretty comfy - he borrowed it once to take the kids camping and never gave it back. I thought we could just share it - but that 's not what he thinks so - alas we have no camper (incidently ~ he got the boat too and I thought we could just share that also -he doesn't even use it!!) Truthfully I would rather be where we are now , than back there with the motorhome, boat and Bob!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Many people scoff and disparage motorhomes (and sometimes rightly so) primarily because of the gas mileage, but also probably because of the openly conspicuous consumption image. But they make our vacations so much more enjoyable. Ours is small, because we don't spend much time in RV parks -- usually Forest Service or Park Service or State Park campgrounds. We have one solar panel, will get another one soon, which means power-wise we're pretty self sufficient (I use a cpap machine at night which necessitates power). No air conditioner in the summer, however, unless we have "shore power".

Anyway, we appreciate having our own CLEAN bathroom (when you get older that can be a major consideration, as out West here rest stops/bathrooms aren't always as close together as you'd like, and they're often not clean). We appreciate being able to eat when and where and how much we want. We appreciate a CLEAN bed every night -- or if it's not "clean", at least it's "our" dirt (know what I mean?). We appreciate (usually) not having to have a reservation anywhere. We appreciate taking walks in the evenings and talking with other campers/Rvers -- we don't talk to other people when we stay in motels. We appreciate being off the major highways and enjoying the outdoors (we both work/worked for Forest Service and Park Service, so we DO appreciate our natural areas!). By next summer we will have a "toad" (a "towed vehicle") which will make exploring much easier.

When DH retires in a couple of years we will probably full-time for four-six months and see some of the rest of the country. We love the west, but it's all we know, and we'd like to see some of the places we've only heard about and seen pictures of. Also want to visit some ageing relatives in Texas and Colorado and Illinois who might not be with us much longer. Might also want to look up relatives in Iowa and Arkansas and other places who we only know about in our family trees. That would probably take more than the "four-six months" I mentioned ...

Have a good day, all ...

~Winnow