Any campers here?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink Any campers here?

Does anyone here camp for fun? We used to have a camper, but we traded it for a car because we needed another vehicle.

I just got a tent this week, and was looking for some frugal camping tips since I am going from a camper to a tent. We havent' camped for over a year. I still have alot of my dishes and such, but need some frugall tips.

Thanks in advance,
    Sheri

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went from a pop-up to dome tents because we now tow a boat. I would recommend air matresses (can be found inexpensively on sale), and also a screen house or canopy to add to your living space, and also give you a place to get out of the weather to cook and eat. We find with the tents and screen house we actually have more room than we had with the pop-up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Camping

I bought waterproof spray to spray on the tent to help keep dry, tarps, and a screen house is a great idea. We go to a place that provides a covered shelter with electricy and a place to keep food, dry goods etc. I bring my George Forman, electric fry pan and crock pot and I am good to go. I plan my meals as to what will defrost sooner and what will keep fresh the longest.
    My kids always say the food tastes better when we camp!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

old blankets make good matreeses if u have none at all. tarp are a must. I have one under the tent to protect the tent and keep it clean and one for over it , we use it for main shade at front entrance, kitchen area(picnic table under that when it rains).
    Make sure where u camp it has running water . Prepare all food ideas up ahead like Nancy said.find dry goods on sale up ahead especailly for snacks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your tent is big enough, you can use an old mattress (from a bed) in your tent. We use a twin sized one in the back of the truck for DS to sleep on. We put wooden racks on the truck and tie a tarp over them at night. Makes a nice sleeping place!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we bring our sheperds hooks and use them for our lanterns and put our clothes line on them as we oftenhave camped on lots with no trees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes definetly water-proof spray. we went camping easter weekend & if we wouldn't of used our spray, we would of been swimming. another good idea, is bringing only food you know you are going to eat. i HATE wasting food, it kills me to waste food. we also tent camp, we love it!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love camping, but I can't go when it's hot and humid. So that leaves about 3 or 4 months that fit those requirements. Gotta love Florida.

I've always wanted to camp on the beach though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a couple of tents last year. Dh and I will go for a weekend and my dd's will come with us for a few days in Aug.. We camp at the beach but if it's going to rain we just don't go. Nothing is worse than camping in the rain. I agree tarps are best. Inflatatbles are also a must for us I wouldn't go without them. Dh and I found that we like two double high twins pushed together better than one queen, we sleep better.

Heres a fun site to check out from a seasoned camper, it has lots of tips.
    http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/camping.html#Photo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We tent. Food, shelter and clothing are the necessary items to cover. I'd throw in a first aid kit too.

I plan food ahead of time and make up as much as possible into mixes before we go. I like to be able to pull out a bag, dump the contents in a pot, add water and stir. I label the bags with instructions for making food up.

Make your own flavoured instant oatmeal mixes to cook up. Take juice tetrapaks for morning drinks. That way everything is self-contained and ready to go in the morning.

Take fruit like oranges because the skin protects the fruit and if it gets beat around, it just makes for a juicier orange. These can go for snacks on the trail. Take hm granola bars too for hiking snacks, and hm trail mix in individual ziploc bags for people.

Make your own hot chocolate mix and take it with you.

Getting a good night's sleep is crucial. I'd spring for an airbed for you and dh, with an automatic pump to pump it up.

Set up a chore chart before you go: cooking duty, clean up duty, water duty, wood chopping duty. Everyone gets a turn. If the kids are too small, they get to share a turn with Mom or Dad or, in the case of wood chopping, stay well out of the way!

Jean

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've camped since I was a kid first with my folks and now with my family.

Plan!!!!Read!!!Enjoy!!!

My mom taught me to plan for trips. So all year as I'm going throught magazines given to me or picked up off freecycle I tear out articles on places to go and thing to do. These I organize into folders. When we start planning our summer vacation I pull out the mapbook and the folders and attach the articles to the states we're gonna visit. Then I sit down with my trusty sprial note. Day One: Were are we headed? Whats along the way. Whats for meals?
    Each day is worked out before hand. With the map, the folders and the notebook the trip is planned.
    We have 2 large tupperware type bins that hold our camping stuff. 2 burner stove, lantern, plastic dishes, grate for camp fires, metal schwers for marshmellow, fish, hot dogs and kabobs. Bug repleant, binoculars, bird books, camp stools, tarps, dry goods. I take alot of my own dry goods along mostly in ziplock bags and worn out tupperwares. These containers are reused on the trip for hauling home goodies.
    Over the years I have collected a few books that make up our camping shelf in the house. Hiking trails of the US, Flea Markets across America, US National Parks, State Park Guides,Unusually Museums of the US, Gardens of the US. These are also used in planning the trip. Notes are made in the notebook so books don't have to be dragged along. Space is left to make notes for when we return home.
    When we hike we collect items to take home.Our pond and waterfall in the back yard have stones from all over the country. Leaves, nuts, pinecones and odd branches have become part of household decorations including wreathes, Christmas Ornaments, placemats and shelf bookends. This year we are trying something new out of a magazine. We're gonna pick up postcards of places we visit and things we see and make a trip journal out of it. All will be collected into a small photo album, already picked up for .10 cents at a yard sale. We also eat our way home. Last year we hit a blueberry field in Lousianna the day before we got home. Those zip lock bags were filled to overflowing!!! We talked about that day of picking everytime we had the blueberries over the winter. Memories!!!

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Laurie sent me down memory lane. When the kids were younger we'd have family trip planning sessions. I'd pull together all kinds of information about the areas we would be travelling through. We'd all sit down and decide what we wanted to do. We wouldn't consider cost initially. It was dream vacation time.

Then I'd go through their ideas and see if we could find cheap ways to do any of them. Invariably we could. And I'd get costs on things. Then I'd go back to the family and we'd look at our ideas and costs with the idea of prioritizing them. "If you could only do one thing on vacation, what would it be?" And we'd try and do that one thing for everyone at least.

This approach was borne from my over-zealous planning days, when I'd plan trips down to the last minute just about. The kids rebelled against all this planned time, so I backed off and took a more democratic approach. Consequently everyone enjoys vacation now!

Jean