Bargains on camping gear?
    Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bargains on camping gear?

DH and I want to start camping with our kids this year. We both did it as kids and enjoyed it.

The problem? The only camping gear we own is one sleeping bag, a cooler, and one lantern.

We're thinking of starting out in the Ohio state park's "rent a camps" to see how it goes: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/cam.../rentacamp.htm
    They provide a tent, camp stove, and cots. Eventually we'll buy those things and camp on our own, but to start out, I think we'll try the rent-a-camp sites before we buy our own gear.

We will need everything else, though. Sleeping bags, dishes, etc.

WalMart had Coleman sleeping bags this weekend on clearance for $15. That seemed like a good deal, but I wasn't really sure. (??)

I'll be checking out thrift shops and garage sales. Where else should I look?

What would you consider the basic essentials that I should be looking for?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A sleeping pad or cot is a biggie. The ground can get pretty cold during the night even with a sleeping bag in the middle of summer. And flashlights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would watch on Freecycle for some camping gear. I am all the time seeing these types of things listed on our local Freecyle.
    Also, do you have any of those Army Surplus type stores in your area? They sell used military supplies. I would check there. When DH was in the Marines, we would know people getting out and they would sell their gear (that didn't have to be turned back in) to these kinds of stores.
    Keep an eye out in your local paper. A lot of people end up selling their campers but most often the gear (lanterns, coleman stoves, ect.) aren't included in the selling price.
    Watch Target and WalMart. Last year, I got one of the Coleman Road Trip grills for $30. It was originally marked $170!
    Good luck and have fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Camping advice

If you're opting for a sleeping bag, don't foget you'll need a ground mat. There's a good guide on sleeping bags/ground mats on campingnow.co.uk (UK site but the advice is the same as for the US) you also have to consider what the temperature will be like when you are camping etc. Prepare well and it'll be the best holiday you've ever had!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You definitely want to check-out the Army Surplus store and garage sales are a good to find those extra items, and of course a few new items at the sporting goods store would be nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you're looking for more info on what you need to go camping/what to expect, here's a link with all sorts of info-even has a section on camping w/ kids.

http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might find some of the stuff you need on ebay.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree to use freecycle but use it the other way post that your looking for items.
    Are you going to tent? Camper?
    $15.00 is great for a new sleeping bag. We actually just upgraded our old gear some over 30 years old with bedrolls gottten for marlbour points. My old sleeping bag which was given to my Dad by an old hunting buddy back in 1961 when I was born was passed on to my nephew.
    We store our camping stuff in big rubber maid tubs picked up off trash piles. Other items have come from yardsales, flea markets and thrift shops over the years. About the only thing that we buy new is a mapbook every 5 years or so. They just don't hold up very long!

Laurie in BRadenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the tips!

DH and I both camped with our families as kids, so we have a pretty good idea of what it's like. This will just be our first time withour own kids.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh Amy! I wish you were here or at least closer by. Went to flea market today and saw good sleeping bags $5.00 each (3) camping stove in like new condition $10.00, 2 coleman lanterns for $5.00 each, several tents no prices noted but still in boxes!!

Laurie in BRadenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie in Bradenton View Post
    Oh Amy! I wish you were here or at least closer by. Went to flea market today and saw good sleeping bags $5.00 each (3) camping stove in like new condition $10.00, 2 coleman lanterns for $5.00 each, several tents no prices noted but still in boxes!!

Laurie in BRadenton
    Oh, Laurie, I wish I was there too-- great bargains! I will definitely be hitting garage sales and flea markets here this summer.

Of course, I wish I was anywhere that it's warm enough to be going to a flea market this week, LOL! We're expecting 6-10" tommorow!