Camping in Alabama?
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Camping in Alabama?

Anyone have any suggestions for camping (tent) in central Alabama? We live in Montgomery and when the weather cools (yes, I'm dreaming) I'd like to plan a weekend camping trip from my family. I got my dh a new tent for father's day and with our moving in July he never got to use it before it got so hot.

I have 2 small children so if there was a campsite with access to shower/bathroom facilities that'd be preferred.

Also, if you don't have specific info on Alabama, is there such a publication for tent camping like a directory? Everything I seem to find is more geared to RVing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I believe that Tannehill State Park still offers tent-sites. I know for sure that Oak Mountain State Park does. Both parks are beautiful and have shower/toilet facilities available.

FrugalWitch

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default camping in alabama

I love to go to a place called L AND L LAKES, is in Troy Alabama. IT is not a formal campsite. Has three beautiful fishing ponds, electric, water, has a little store with very limited offerings. Nice bath, shower and sinks area. I have never seen any other kind of camping other than tents. Just a beautiful country settings. It will be quite. you will probably be alone About 5 miles from the city of TROY which has everything. Last year they charged 7 dollars a night per adult. IT is run by elderly retired teaching professors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gentledenny View Post
    I love to go to a place called L AND L LAKES, is in Troy Alabama. IT is not a formal campsite. Has three beautiful fishing ponds, electric, water, has a little store with very limited offerings. Nice bath, shower and sinks area. I have never seen any other kind of camping other than tents. Just a beautiful country settings. It will be quite. you will probably be alone About 5 miles from the city of TROY which has everything. Last year they charged 7 dollars a night per adult. IT is run by elderly retired teaching professors.
    Thanks for the info.... will be moving to Alabama soon and we will definitely be checking this out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default camping in alabama

Just wanted to add, i just got word that a group of my friends are going to camp at L and L lakes in Troy Al , the weekend of 26 Oct. right now there will be about 6 adults and 3 kids. You dont need reservations. Would love to have any of your families join us. My group of friends are mostly local alabama folks but one lady is coming from kentucky and one lady from Altanta ga area. We are a unorganized group. NO planning we just show up and hang out together. most meals are separately done although we do sometimes volunteer to feed everyone. Most of us know each other for at least 5 years. Used to all hang out in a chat room before MSN went to pay per view. So at L and L you can camp as close or as far away as you want. The main camping area is spread out over about a two acre area on two ponds and all have electric, water, picnic tables scattered throughtout a few big pavallions. Althought sometimes they are rented out to groups. there are no designated campsites. You just go where you want. If you really want privacy. There are three lakes?ponds and you can go where you want. i imagine all together there is about 150 acres , Cows might wake you up. Good fishing. lots of woods and fields for the kids to run around in. good fishing. and like i said before, there are his and hers showers. sinks and toilets at the little store. I wouldnt plan to buy groceries there. mostly bait, coke and candy. althought they do have canned goods. So anyway. If you would like to plan a trip for that time, come on down and yell for dennis. I will be in a black altima or a silver venture van. Yell for dennis. ://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/firstfarmtrip/ This is a link to the owners son who took some overview pictures of the lakes.. SO i cant put in the link you will have to highlight and cut i guess

Registered User delightfuldesigns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might also want to look into Wind Creek. It is on Lake Martin and about 40 minutes drive from MOntgomery.

They have primitive campsites and ones that have water and power also. Their bathhouses are usually very clean. I don't know if they are open year round or not though.

Good luck, it sounds like fun!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For books I would recommend
    KOA Campground Guide always clean tents always welcome, playgrounds for kids.
    National G's Guide to the National Parks of the US
    Reader's Digest Off the Beaten Path

I pick up my books from thriftstore book shelves. Friends of the Libaray sales and Yard sales.
    Bought a plastic file box keep our camping books, Id books, mapbooks, flea market books and special notebook in it.
    Special notebook is a subdivided notebook broken down by state. When I see an article in a mag about a place be it camp ground, park, museum, factory tour, etc. I tear it out and put it in the notebook under the state. Which is how the book is sub divided.
    MAy seem like alot of work but by preparing ahead of time our trips are always intresting and fun. No one ever says I'm bored.
    If you go to the Troy area visit the Pike Pioneer Museum. It does have an admission but is very intresting.

Laurie in Bradenton