RV: Norcold Refrigerator Recall

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy RV: Norcold Refrigerator Recall

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you have a Norcold 2 door refrigerator in an RV/motorhome or camper, there was a recall on them. Trust me when I tell you, they will and do catch fire! We were going on vacation and had everything in Rv except us and the dog. Went out front door and the panel behind fridge on the outside was flaming and smoke was billowing out top of motorhome!! Husband got it put out with water, pulled out some wiring and there was no damage inside. Started refrigerator on propane and we went on.....DUH!! Got about 2 1/2 hrs from home and stopped to take dog for a walk........walked around side and smoke was billowing and flames again!! It had been smoldering in the insulation!! More water and pulled more wires out and at that point we decided to just go home! If you have this refrigerator, call your nearest RV dealer or Google Norcold. Don't take any chances!! We are blessed to be alive!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Carolyn, so sorry this happened to you. You must have been terrified and thank goodness you're all ok. Is this what your fridge looks like?
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02021.html
    Just wondering if these are the only ones recalled.
    Thanks so very much for the heads up, we have a Norcold in our new to us Arctic Fox.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the heads up and I'm so glad you're okay. We have a very small one door Norcold in our 11 year old pop up but we actually rarely use it, since we just take along our ice chests when we camp. (The fridge is way to small for all our food.)

--Michelle

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Ya'll....tried to post earlier and got it all typed up and then when I went to submit it, the server froze up! Lisa, our fridge is older and smaller than yours, I think Model 452 and Michelle, just be REAL careful! The motorhome is at the RV fixit place and Norcold says they will replace the fridge but they are haggling and saying we should have to pay for the installation since we are not the first owners! Go figure!! We had an xtra paycheck in August and it all went into motorhome's fuel tank. I'm just trying to figure out how to get all that fuel outta there so I can use it!! Will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the update and warning, Carolyn. We'll check the model number on our fridge.

--Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Norcold Update:

Norcold is replacing the refrigerator in our motorhome and paying for the installation! Yea!! The RV place didn't want to install the refrigerator because it is electric and propane. Once they hook up the propane, the Rv place is then responsible. So we did have to push a few buttons! Norcold said that since they were a dealer they would have to do it. We will be leaving again on 10-4 and trying to go to TN again. Maybe this time we can have a good vacation!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you got it resolved and I hope y'all have a great vacation!

--Michelle