Travel Trailer recommendations???
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Travel Trailer recommendations???

Hubby and I are contemplating purchasing a travel trailer. For those of you who own one, what types of things should we look for? Do you find them hard to haul?

We would need something big enough to sleep 3 adults and 1 dog. Any ideas?

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A recommend Starcraft popup.
    Its the brand my folks had for a good fifteen years. Was pulled behind a Dodge station wagon and then a Ford Van. It slept 2 Adults 3 kids and one large Black Lab with room to spare. Could have slept up to 6 adults but we never took that many.
    Most important item was a gas refrig. an Icebox is a messy and has to be refilled daily. It had a 2 burner gas stove but mom did 90% of her cooking on a portable one out on the picnic table. That way she could watch us play and enjoy the outdoors too. When I turned 18 I moved out of the house to a treefarm in the northern part of Florida that tralier came out of the garage and went into the woods for 3 years where I lived in it with my new husband. We towed into the woods behind a fourwheel drive. Not bad but alittle chilly in the winter. Went on to a new family after that adventure.
    As for towing it went everywhere from Northern Canada to South Mexico and lots of parks inbetween. It was light enought that it could be unhooked from the vechile and pushed around into a desired space.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I'm dreaming of buying a Trailmanor. It looks and tows like a pop-up tent camper but it pops up into a standard trailer. It looks just like a real travel trailer inside too, with heat and ac!~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a 32 foot 5th wheel with a slide out. All the conveniences of home. I grew up camping....my parents always had a travel trailer and many brands~ never a problem with any of them. When my husband and I first were married we had a pop up and recently got the one we have now. We are only about 15 minutes from a huge lake and we camp throughout the summer and also use it as a "guest house" when we have company at our home. Though it is large it is no problem to tow and we are making many happy memories with our daughter.

P.S. we got a REALLY GOOD deal on it through someone that was just ready to get rid of it and spend more time at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the replies!!! What ever we decide to buy will definitely already be popped up ...the hubby & son are both disabled so I don't want anything too complicated.

I think I will start watching the classified ads and go look at a few, maybe I'll get lucky and someone will be getting rid of theirs because they are retiring from camping or moving up to a motor home...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Had to come back and comment that the Trailmanor can be popped up by anyone, regardless of ability in only a few minutes. I watched a video and there's almost no exertion to it at all. But I don't blame you for wanting something that's all set and ready to go. I'd prefer that as well. But we like to camp in the mountains and we would feel safer hauling the lighter weight 'pop-up' trailer as opposed to a standard. Have fun shopping!~

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Place a notice on freecycle too. You might be surprised. Alot have been up on ours here in S. Fl.

Laurie in Bradenton

Registered User thriftstorequeen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We just got a vintage 1971 pop-up. It is so light that my hubby can move it around by himself! It is just two double beds. No frills. There is plenty of floor space for a porta-pottie, or a card table. You can stand in it to change. When we go, we go as a family group and do all our cooking on the open fire. We can't wait to use it. We are going to take a couple test runs with it before we go with the family in the fall. We found ours on ebay and paid around $500 for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No mountains around here, we have some pretty big hills in Michigan though...but nothing like the mountains in other parts of the country. Freecycle is a really good idea, I'm going to have to do that...thank you for the idea I would never have dreamed that someone would be willing to give away a travel trailer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a 19 ft. ultra light TT from Thor and we have dragged that baby all over the place! We love it.....it sleeps 6 but we have gotten 8 in there easily. Has everything you could possibly need but for us at this point it has gotten too small and we are hoping to buy bigger! There are 4 of us and my kids are 20 and 14 so it can be a bit crowded!!

Forgot to mention......it tows very well. We have a load leveling system and anti-sway bar on the hitch.