I'm gonna do it -- but I need HELP!!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question I'm gonna do it -- but I need HELP!!!!

I am going camping

I found a state campground just a handful of miles from me. It's $8/night, there is a beach and the lots are spaced out so you aren't encroaching your neighbors. The only thing it doesn't have is electricity or water at the sites. There are water spouts around. Even 'hot' showers and flush toilets. For the price of the site, and the fact that I am saving so much on gas... if I really wanted to, I could go home to shower, it's maybe 15 minutes away

I put an add on freecycle for 'camping things' and so far someone has offered me a 4 person LL Bean tent, and she said if there is anything missing LL will replace it free.

I also got an email from a scout mom who said she may have some extra things kicking around that they don't use anymore... but she wants a list of things...

I have no idea what I need...I kind of drew a blank... I knew I needed a tent, didn't realize there was more to it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do alot of camping and my DH works for the scouts. here is list of things you will need:

Cooking pans
    Plates, cups, utensils and cooking utensils or Plastic
    sleeping bags or blankets
    sleeping pads (nice but not needed)
    flash lights or lantern
    table - folding card table (if the camp site doesn't have one)
    Lawn Chairs
    Large Tubs (to hold you food) Plus Food
    Cooler
    Stove (propane)
    Bath towels
    Kitchen Towels or Paper
    Soap
    Laundry Sack
    Fire Wood
    Fire Starters
    Ax or large malet (driving the stakes into the ground)
    Extra Rope (hanging laundry)

This is the bare essentials

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say a tent, sleeping bag, flashlights, clothes, maybe a book too! I haven't been camping since I was a girl scout, lol... what else is there?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are some other things that I forgot in the last list:

Sink tube and dish drying rack (If you bring dishes) If you bring paper plates forget this

Matches and Lighter
    Bug spray
    Playing Cards and other games
    Tarp (not needed but nice to have over you picnic table if it rains)
    Stakes and rope for Tarp above
    Water jugs
    I think that might be it for now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lady V

If you Goggles "Camping List" there are some great camping check lists.

"lovetheoutdoors.com" is a good one

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey for you. Go for it. I wish I could join you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Come on over Ann -- but you better start walking now... I plan on going after school gets out and it's one heck of a hike from Florida

I got yet another email from the 2 women -- 'tent mom' said it's mine and I can come get it at any time... 'scout mom' offered to write me up a checklist and advice/how-to and said she will look through everything and try to get me equiped with the basics... she even has a sleeping bag! DD got a sleeping bag last Christmas.

I'm getting so excited... who thought I'd get giddy over the idea of sleeping on rocks, feeding the bugs and dancing with bears?????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A few things I thought of.........

newspapers for starting the fire

your own toilet paper! I work in a state park campground and we have the bathhouses with flushing toilets and showers. The toilet paper is awful! I take my own to work with me and use it LOL!

And some ideas........

When we are going camping (we have a camper and we sometimes also go in a tent) I always start off by making a menu of what we want to eat. Then I add all the ingredients! Don't forget things like salt, cooking spray or oil, a hand can opener, etc. Try to keep the menus really simple too. Things like hot dogs cooked on a stick, cereal for breakfast, etc. If you are allowed to build a fire you can do alot of cooking that way! I have a big camper and I never cook in it, even when we have electricity. On the campfire I cook sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, spaghetti, hamburger helper, hamburgers, mac and cheese, etc. Just watch that your food doesn't burn!

I also have a camping list on the computer that I print out when we want to go and I check off things as we pack them. If we think of something new, we just add it to the list for next time.

We like to put a tarp down under the tent as a little extra "dampness" protection.

My list includes......

All food and cooking/eating utensils. Being so close to home you can always run back if you forget something. When my sister camps she ONLY takes things that require no cooking and can be served in/on throw away dishes(cereal, poptarts, sandwiches, hot dogs cooked on a stick,chips, etc.) I like to cook and eat well LOL.

Something to wash dishes in and a large kettle to heat water on the fire. Plus your dish soap, towels, etc.

Oven mitts!!

Paper items like plates, bowls, paper towels, ziplocs in various sizes, trash bags, foil, saran wrap

Soap, shampoo, towels and washcloths (I like to take older ones that are dark colored)

Some type of shoes to wear in the shower if you will shower there. I clean the bathrooms in our state park and I bleach them every other day. However I would NEVER shower barefoot in one of them. Flip flops or crocs work well.

Rope and clothespins to hang up wet towels or clothes.

Hatchet, ax, hammer

Flashlight or camping lantern for that middle of the night trip the bathroom!

Sunscreen and bug spray, a first aid kit!

A basket to carry your shower items to and from the bathhouse!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so enjoying your thread. I am going to try camping with my family for the 1st time this summer. We found an awesome tent and now I just need everything else. I was not brought up in a camping family, that is for sure. But I have six kids and I know they would love the outdoors. Thanks so much for all the great ideas.