Need cooking ideas while travelling
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need cooking ideas while travelling

Well, first of all just wanted to let you all know that life seems to be taking a turn we didn't expect (nothing bad) and we MAY be staying here in D.C. to pastor a church instead of returning to the Republic of Georgia. Nothing certain yet, but it looks like that's what is going to happen. Anyway, we're taking a "vacation" to get some distance from the situation and allow us to have some time to think and pray about it before making the final decision. We just need some time without the day to day rush so that we can make sure we're thinking clearly and really hearing from God.

So, in a couple weeks we're going to hit the road with my FIL's travel trailer. (eek, with the gas prices! but cheaper than a hotel for a couple weeks) We're heading to Iowa to see my family for probably a week with a couple days totally on our own travelling to and from there.

I don't want to have to do a lot of grocery shopping while I'm traveling and we don't want to eat out much either, so I need a bunch of ideas for meals to prepare that we can take the ingredients with us. The only things I plan on buying are milk, produce, and maybe meat depending on the deals.

I can take a crock pot with us for once we set up "camp", we also have a grill , stovetop, convection oven and microwave. So almost all the conveniences of home. We have a small fridge unit with a very small freezer.

So any ideas? I have tons of soft tortillas and lots of tortilla chips, so I'm sure I'll work those in somewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don;t have any suggestions.....I don't camp. Never have, never plan on it. But I did want to say that I'm glad to see your post. I have gone to your website to read up on what you all are doing with your ministry and all.......nice to see you around.

edit: however, you can make anything into a roll up. we love pb&j rollups. how about flavoured cream cheese with lunch meat and maybe some spinach leaves?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by IntlMom View Post
    I don;t have any suggestions.....I don't camp. Never have, never plan on it. But I did want to say that I'm glad to see your post. I have gone to your website to read up on what you all are doing with your ministry and all.......nice to see you around.

edit: however, you can make anything into a roll up. we love pb&j rollups. how about flavoured cream cheese with lunch meat and maybe some spinach leaves?
    Thanks, life has been pretty uncertain for the last year, so a break is definitely in need. We would love to go back to the Rep. of Georgia, but financially it just isn't happening. And we realize that if God wanted us to go back the finances would be there, so I guess you could call it "a sign'.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas for roll-ups. We actually have lots of cream cheese and lunchmeat on hand & we love spinach

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of our favorites... a box of Stovetop dressing, use a can of broth for the h2o, add a can of chicken. Heat broth in micro dish, add chicken & dressing, pour a jar of gravy over top and microwave a good 6 minutes. Delish! with a box of instant mash pot. I also make up taco meat and freeze. I always take polish sausage to put on our little grill. I make up pancakes ahead of time. I buy from Aldi's already cooked bacon-Great! I take cheese & crackers for lunch. Take a can of baked beans, I make green bean casserole in the micro. I always buy a jar of nuts, syrup, spray butter, cans of fruit. I will probably think of more....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the ideas. We've done this before, but it's amazing what escapes your mind when you actually go to plan for it...lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We actually cook in the crockpot, while we're driving. We have an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and we plug the crockpot into that. . .

I do chicken breasts with cream of chicken soup, French dip sandwiches, roast with potatoes/carrots, etc.

for cold foods -- tuna or chicken salad in pita breads, crackers with lunch meat/cheese (think homemade lunchables), chef's salad, deviled eggs or just hard boiled eggs, quick breads with flavored cream cheese or butters

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since you have tortillas and chips, maybe you could take some seasoned taco meat, refried beans and cheese. Grill a bunch of chicken ahead of time for sandwiches or salads. Boiled eggs are great to have on hand too for that quick shot of protein. We have also boiled spagetti noodles ahead of time, just heating up the sauce on the stovetop then adding the noodles to warm them up.

I'm not familiar with your story, but it sounds like there is a reason that you need to be here right now. Take care.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One thing I always take camping is burritos. I roll them up; bean, chicken, veggie, whatever we like, put them in freezer bags and store in the cooler. When we're ready to eat, I just fry them up on both sides. Very yummy, very convenient and very aesy to eat in a camping situation.