Looking for BC residents near Osoyoos/Oliver
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Looking for BC residents near Osoyoos/Oliver

Hey all!

DH and I have been talking about retirement lately and he told me about Oliver, BC. He said that he spent time there before we met and it was the most beautiful place he'd ever seen. He went on to talk about being able to walk through and pick fruit from people's orchards and fruit trees. He also told me that it's in a valley and is surrounded by some spectacular scenery.

Naturally, I went to Google to look because I had never been out that way. OH MY GOD! I think I finally found where I want to retire.

I was just looking for anyone who may live in that area that can help convince me to stay there after we retire.

We pretty much are laid back and I love to garden. I know that I'm 33 years away from retirement, but we do plan on starting to save after we pay off our debt to the inlaws. We'd be selling the house here, so buying a house out that way is not an issue. It'll just be the two of us, so we'd mainly want a lot of land and places to sit and watch the wildlife.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not from Oliver, but I'm from BC, and I don't think I've seen any other BC residents on here, so I'll answer.

Good for you for thinking ahead about retirement! I would recommend going for a vacation to anywhere that sounds like a potential retirement spot before making a decision. We were glad we did. We had our retirement spot picked out, until we went for a visit, and it just wasn't us. Our second choice really resonated with both of us, so that's where we moved.

Oliver is in the Okanagan valley, which is a beautiful spot. There are a number of reasons why it wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't want to talk you out of it if it's what you want. Go for a visit and give it a critical eye with the thought of, "Could I really live here? What would it be like?" Hang out at the coffee shops and ask the locals all about living there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd absolutely love to go out there. I think if we were able to get away for a week, I'd be more than happy. Perhaps later on down the road when DH's schedule gets less hectic, we can play a family vacation when the weather is really nice.

It'd take us a whole day of driving to get there and then a day back, which would be great as long as there aren't too many tourists and too much traffic. I could never go there in the winter because of the mountain passes. One of my main concerns is the fire situation in BC in the summer time. I would just hate to see my house go up in flames that way, but I know that fires can happen anywheres.

I'll definitely consider your advice pretty heavily before making the decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, not to be negative - I'm not trying to talk you out of it - but you should consider visiting in winter too if you are planning to live there. I've heard that the Okanagan can be pretty depressing in winter, when the valleys are socked in for weeks at a time. They say it's not so bad if you are a skier, because the ski lift will take you up above the clouds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KeithBC View Post
    Well, not to be negative - I'm not trying to talk you out of it - but you should consider visiting in winter too if you are planning to live there. I've heard that the Okanagan can be pretty depressing in winter, when the valleys are socked in for weeks at a time.
    Not from BC but I agree with Keith on the 'winter thing'. And isn't it called the Canadian Dessert? Well.....even desserts can get snow.

A neat little small town and people seemed friendly. I lived in Tonasket.......the US side. Maybe 30 minutes away. We used to go up to Osoyoos for dinner. Very pretty area....but one winter in Tonasket was enough for me.........among other things.

Go in the winter......unless you plan to not stay there in the winter when you retire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Keith is on the Island... LOL

That's where we want to retire!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know, I had thought of retiring on the island but I couldn't handle all of that rain. Blech.

I told DH I wanted to go at least after the kids are grown and out of the house. That's about ten years from now or so. Since we're looking at 33 years down the road, I figured it'd be plenty of time for us to go in at least the winter and the summer.

I think the whole appeal of it for me is the ability to have more land to live on for the same amount of money or less than in Calgary. The Canadian desert part did sort of entice me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I drove through the Okanagan valley a few years ago and stopped for lunch in Osoyoos. It's utterly beautiful and nowhere near as cold as Canada east of the Rockies during the winter. What you might consider, though, is how long it'll take you to get in and out whenever you want to travel, it's a six hour drive to the nearest major airport.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    I drove through the Okanagan valley a few years ago and stopped for lunch in Osoyoos. It's utterly beautiful and nowhere near as cold as Canada east of the Rockies during the winter. What you might consider, though, is how long it'll take you to get in and out whenever you want to travel, it's a six hour drive to the nearest major airport.
    Yeah that's another consideration of mine. DH and I want to at least go on a few trips to somewheres nice and warm and beachy before we croak. We might have to either fly out of a more local airport to Vancouver or Calgary and then fly from there.

My stipulations for retirement are that it has to be somewheres warm with lots of land inside of Canada and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    My stipulations for retirement are that it has to be somewheres warm with lots of land inside of Canada and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.
    Hah! There you are, then - putting warm in the same sentence as Canada, and then wanting cheap in the few locations that qualify. I reckon you've narrowed yourself down to three blocks north of Hastings Street in Vancouver, next to the drug rehabilitation unit and the backpacker hostel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually, I've been scouring the real estate website for Osoyoos and Oliver over the last week and there's pretty desirable results within it. We'd be selling the house and using that entire lump sum as a cash payment for a house.

If we were to retire today and sell the house at the market value, this is what we'd get:

REALTOR.ca - Property Details 109860

REALTOR.ca - Property Details 107048

I love the second house for the larger lot size, which means more gardening for me. The views are absolutely fantastic too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow MTTB - both beautiful houses. Though the 2nd house has more 'land' the kitchen is super tiny looking to me. Not sure how you'd like that esp when friends/family/boys come home to visit with their families etc.

(But both houses look equally easily paintable for your days off from gardening )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah the smaller kitchen sort of goes against my requirements for a new house:

large kitchen
    large yard

I guess it'll take a bit more digging to find one that has both.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm. Geological stability isn't always high on the list of factors to consider... Landslide new story

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug