Any CANUCKS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any CANUCKS?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thats so funny you should ask about "plugging in the car". We were just talking about that at supper time and I was mentioning how some of the members here didn't know what it meant.

When it gets to -20C or lower, most of us have to plug in our vehicles especially if we don't have a garage.

Where I am on the prairies, we get extreme colds. We can have -40 C which is -40F with windchills of -55C or -60C. The middle of Dec., January and Feb. are our worse months.

But we get the most sunlight hours than anywhere in North America throughout the year and we usually have glorious summers, albeit our "prairie bird" is the mosquito.

The one thing about the cold weather is you learn to dress for it and you make sure your prepared if you go anywhere. Its just part of life here.

We also live only about 20 minutes from the Manitoba/North Dakota border so were not "way up north".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know I was thinking I had never been in weather that cold but with Farenheit our freezing point is 32º so that would make our -20º more like your -52º Geez can't we just all get on the same page with this stuff (except that I never had to learn metric - thank goodness the kids have to now since it will probably become the universal figure!! ) What do you guys bake in ~ degrees farenheit or celsius ?? I would be so lost - I remember freaking out over your speed limits when I went to Kelowna, BC - I couldn't grasp the whole Kilometers thing!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was very young here in Canada, we did the mile, farenheit, inch thing too. But, I learned the metric system living in Europe. When I came back to Canada the switch to metric had just started here. So I never really had a problem. Our stove is in both F and C because most cookbooks are not in C but very little else shows both unless it is really old. My dad bought an indoor thermometer from the States so that he could tell the temperature. He can't get used to the metric thing yet!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kimmee our stove is in F not Celcius.

Our speedometres read both kms and miles.

We too purchased a thermometre that is in both F and C.

Our school kids learn in metric but because we homeschool and our curriculum is from the States, our kids have learnt both.

Metric IMO is much harder, but it will eventually be universal. Its much easier learning it when your young than waiting until your old or being forced to when your older. Some of the older generation here have never adapted to it very well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Everyone!
    To answer your question, Renee, Whitehorse is about a 1 1/5 hour drive from Skagway, Alaska which is an itty bitty town in southern mainland Alaska. Remember the Gold Rush of 1898 that everyone (historically speaking) got excited about and all rushed to San Francisco to jump on a ship for the goldfields? Klondike Kate ring a bell? Well, Whitehorse is on the original "trail" (river) to the goldfields.
    The Yukon itself is located north of British Columbia and east of Alaska.
    I was raised in California, so this has been quite an adjustment. I miss the warmer weather but just put on extra clothing! I had problems with eczema for awhile, but tried different things and now only use olive oil to wash my face and shea butter for moisturizer (if needed). Good skin moisturizers are a must for me!
    My electric bill is about $100/month averaged out over the year; in a super cold month it can go up to $140, but I turn the furnace off in May and on again in September so I can get the bill down to $65 or 70.
    When do summer and winter start? Hmmmm . . . Tough question!
    It's not safe to plant anything sensitive to frost until the second week in June, thank goodness for plastic! Crops are done (usually) by the end of August. I find it so hard to define the seasons after growing up in California! I guess April & May would usually be spring and August & September would be fall, so that would make October to March our winter! We had snow in August 1985, my first year here! But these last few years have been warmer and beautiful. Four years ago, one of my neighbours washed his car on Christmas day and had someone take pictures!
    One of my sisters is a nurse in Old Crow (a much farther north community accessible only by plane). The first June she was there, she phoned me and said "Tell me why I wanted to live here again." I was surprised, she was serious! Then she explained that she was curled up in a blanket on her living room couch, on one of the last days of June, watching the snow come down outside!
    The weather is definitely unique, but I really like the community. There are about 20,000 people in Whitehorse (capital city!) and about 30,000 people in all of the Yukon. I have learned to cope, adjust, and finally like it here.
    Now, I can't imagine living with snakes and spiders; I have a sister in Maryland who complained one summer that my nieces weren't closing the sliding door, and the snakes were crawling in the house to get out of the heat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love living where there aren't many bugs. and snakes.

mind you we aren't too far north. but one day I want to visit yellowknife and whitehorse. I have friends up there.

supposed to have flurries and high of -13 tomorrow and for the rest of the weekend. or so they say!

my stove is a new one and is the digital thing, I can switch from celsuis to fahrenheit.

christine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Christine, you live in a beautiful city. I love Calgary and have visited a number of times. How long have you lived there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family moved here from Montana when I was 4. so 23 years this past September. yipes thats a long time!!

It is a great city to live in. I wouldn't want to live in any other city. Small town I wouldn't mind. my grandparents lived in a village and the other set lived in a university town in (both in montana), so the population there fluctuated with school season.

thanks!

one thing is for sure I am NOT a hot weather person! spring and fall for me. another reason to love calgary! and being a SAHM! I don't have togo out when it is crappy weather. we live outside the city so it gives dh a good excuse too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hello other Canuck! I've grown up on BC and am now in the Queen Charlotte Islands. I hate hot weather too, but I love the west coast because it misses the real cold weather of the interior. I can see alaska from the beach. but the average temperature here in the winter is about 4*!!!

babs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Babs I've always wanted to visit the Queen Charlotte Islands. I heard its beautiful.

One of our older sons lives in Kitimat. He use to live in Prince Rupert.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my freaking god. Closing your doors in Maryland to keep out snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would of freaked out!! I hate snakes! We don't have any snakes that are in MI that I am aware of. Now spiders don't bother me, but I would of died on the spot with those snakes. Just the thought of it makes me go right up a tree!! I think you get the point! Renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rebecca, I feel about spiders what you feel about snakes!
    BTW, I believe that was an exceptionally hot summer day in Maryland; they had gone out on a river to try & cool off!

Welcome Babs; how is life in the Queen Charlottes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Christine - what is a "village" ie how many people , how many buildings, etc. Do they still exist in the states?? I have been all about Montana and have never seen anything indicated as a village?? I live in what is a "town" in Colorado - out on the prarie - I would be fascinated by what I am thinking a village might be!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

its not really a village per say but there were about 50-60 people there last year, but less now that my grandparents have passed.

its a small mountain town on the highway just south of great falls. used to be a big mining town but that fizzled out and is now just a spot for skiers and travellers to stop.

christine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to the Village Babs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast