Candy Making Tips or Advice?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Candy Making Tips or Advice?

Hi, I'm Zzyxk (Zeek). I'm 21 years old and from Ontario, Canada. I have had an interest in cooking and baking for a long time, I got my first job cooking when I was 14, and have been doing it since. I've had interest in baking just about as long. I am currently in my 3rd and final year of an Accounting program at Durham College.

I have been running a little candy business from home. I went out, did a few price comparisons of my raw materials, figured out my cost, and have been selling candy to friends or anyone who shows interest. I always keep a batch or 2 of candy on hand, because once they try it, they're hooked.

I have been wanting to get more variation in my candy making. I have been trying to get a hold of gum base for what must be a year now, and I cannot find any suppliers that sell less than 500 kgs at per order. Since this is a problem, I was wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the candy I make now.

Right now my candy consist of 2 cups of sugar, 2/3 cups of corn syrup, 3/4 cups of water, and a 5ml dram of very potent flavouring. I boil the candy to exactly 300, hard crack stage. I then mix in the flavour, and pour onto a baking sheet. When it cools I simply shatter the candy into glass pieces, and coat them with icing sugar to keep them from sticking.

Is there anything I can do to improve this? Keep them from sticking without icing sugar? A way I can shape the candy before it cools. I have tried pour the candy through a funnel for a more rounded off shape, but that didn't work at all. I have not been able to find any molds that don't melt. I was also wondering how the candy would turn out if I were to boil to the soft crack stage, or any of the others, for a chewy candy option.

Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Zzyxk

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you looked at any molds like this?

http://www.confectioneryhouse.com/home.php?cat=204

I hope you are successful. Have you considered expanding, making more variety? Fudge seems to be a huge seller.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Look at recipes online, there are all kinds of candy recipes. Make small batches first to try, and when you find ones you really like make them. Do you have a candy thermometer? If not go and get one they come in handy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's an easy candy recipe for anyone who's interested. I've sold tons, and it's addictive (as my enormous butt will testify)

Melt separately equal parts of dark and white chocolate. Swirl together (like a marble cake) onto a parchment lined surface - thinly. Sprinkle with shelled, salted pistachios and dried cranberries. When cooled, break into pieces.

www.nashvillewraps.com has awesome packaging - request a paper catalog as the website is a little cumbersome.