sub for corn syrup
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default sub for corn syrup

I have developed and intolerance to corn and am looking for a corn syrup substitute. I have tried to make the homemade corn syrup and now have a jar campletely packed with sugared syrup. It is as hard as rock
    Can I use agave syrup? Anyone know?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found that post interesting so I googled...........here is one I came up with.........depends on what you are making........can use honey.

Is there a good substitute for corn syrup in recipes for people with corn allergies?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That link was very helpful. I thought there might be a cane syrup out there but I didn't see it in the grocery store.
    I'm a little leery of Lyle's Golden Syrup. I think this is what I used to make divinity when I was in Hong Kong. After ages and ages of beating it, I gave up and went to the meeting I had to go to. I left it on the counter. When I returned it had grown. Something like you what you would expect from bread. It had risen over the bowl, onto the counter and then into a small pool on the floor. It was the divinity blob that wanted to take over Hong Kong!
    Oddly enough, the comment about syrup recipes that contain corn syrup gave me an idea. I am only intolerant of corn. I think that if I used some corn syrup to make a homemade syrup and then used that as the corn syrup sub then it should be diluted enough that (as long as I don't eat the whole batch at once) that it won't give me headaches. I'm thinking --hopefully--the less than an 1/8 of a cup of corn syrup spread out into 20 pieces of divinity . I just have to keep myself from eating the whole batch in one evening....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found this recipe for a homemade substitute, perhaps it would help you out, Homemade Corn Syrup Substitute Simple Syrup ) Recipe - Food.com - 74080

It's important not to overcook these syrups, they will revert back to sugar.