What candies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What candies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"We might want to concider a cookie/candy swap this holiday season!"

Missy, that sounds like fun. You should go start one now so people have time to prepare. As for the fudge, have you tried the no-fail recipe on marshmallow fluff? The real stuff can be tricky....I don't usually bother with it very often.

I just wanted to add that the recipe I linked above tastes an awful lot like the similar candy that See's sells for a fortune.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We make peanutbutter balls, peppermint patties and fudge both chocolate and peanutbutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the explaination Kimberly... Would anyone want to share any recipes???

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User frugalbutterfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to try to "make" some homemade treats this year also, not sure what yet. As long as it is not something that requires allot of motor skills "functioning" I should be ok.
    Now my question on this is when do you start making things to "give" and if done ahead of time do you freeze them and they still turn out/hold up ok?
    Several years ago I made some really great little "treats" and my family got a huge tray(mom/dad, nanny, ds/bil, sis/bil) and it seemed to be a huge hit.
    I know though I can't do that much though, not yet anyway but, want to try to make something up.

Also, do you give as gifts and that is it or do you "add" something to go with it? Personally with our situation if, I can do this it will have to be "all" the gift they get.
    So I am curious how you other ladies to them?

I want to get the book again The Joy of Cooking, that is where I was able to get some really great ideas. I just have to have dh take me to the library.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Choclate covered peanuts, cholatate (sp) covered coconuts, and banana bread. Give as gifts and take to family events.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make peanut butter balls, chocolate peanut clusters, chocolate covered pretzles, jam shortbread cookies, peanut butter mini chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookie cut outs. I use tins to store all of these goodies in. I make the cookie dough ahead of time and put it in the freezer. Also homemade mini pumpkin chocolate chip breads and mini braided Christmas rings. I give all of these out at gifts or part of other homemade gifts. I use pretty fabric to make bags to give them out. Also I have used small tins or candy boxes and bags for the candies. Used wide mouth pint mason jars to transport cookies and decorate the tops with fabric and ribbon.

I like to make a batch of chocolate covered cherries for DH because they are his favorite, but I don't make extra of those because they are so labor intensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beckie, cookies and breads freeze very well. I make these ahead, following just a few cimple guidelines for what to freeze and how to thaw.

Candies are a little trickier, but many of them can be frozen, too. Candies like peanut brittle or the Christmas Crunch recipe I use can't really be frozen well, and they will get sticky and soft when defrosting. Chocolate can sometimes be frozen, as long as it is tempered properly when you use it and isn't exposed to extremes. Truffle centers usually freeze well (already formed into balls) and can then be rolled ot dipped later so that you don't have to worry about whether the chocolate coating (if that is what you use) is tempered or not. You can also easily freeze the peanut butter centers of Buckeyes and dip them later. (Actually, I remember my mother freezing them, already dipped, when I was a kid, and I'm sure she didn't temper the chocolate. She may have added a little parafin to it, though.) Fudge usually freezes well. Thing like chocolate-coated pretzels will not freeze well, again bcause of the sogginess factor.

I guess my advice in general would be to make a small test batch for your family, then take a couple pieces of whatever it is, wrap one or two different ways, then freeze for a day or two. Thaw them and see how they are. The only thing that might occur with untempered chocolate is bloom (the whitish-grey spots you sometimes see on chocolate) and though it doesn't affect the flavor, it does affect the appearance and can change the texture

http://www.cafecreosote.com/Reference/FreezingTips.php3
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/FudgeFreezing.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12