Buckeyes (Peanut butter balls)
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User cab54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,367
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Buckeyes (Peanut butter balls)

    Buckeyes (Peanut butter balls)


    Recipe Description
    These are called Buckeyes in my neck 'o' the woods. Michigan fans and others might rather call them PB balls.
    Preparation Steps:
    In mixing bowl, cream peanut butter and butter. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Dough should be quite stiff. Roll pb mix into balls about 3/4" in size. Place onto baking pan or sheet, covered with wax paper. Chill.
    Level of Difficulty:
    Hard
    Time Needed:
    2-3 hours
    Ingredients:
    1 -- 12 oz, pkg. of chocolate chips
    1/2 block parafin wax
    1-1/2 pounds of powdered sugar.
    2 sticks of butter
    2 cups of creamy peanut butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Serves:
    depends on how much you make a pig of yourself with these
    Directions:
    Melt chocolate chips and parafin in double boiler, or in small saucepan on VERY low temp, till melted. whisk till wax is well mixed into chocolate.

    Use toothpicks to dip chilled peanut butter balls into chocolate. If you want these to look like 'buckeyes' (and you do...RIGHT??) dip them NOT all the way---leave about a thumbnail size oval NOT dipped, so that they look like an actual buckeye nut (actually a seed/pod thingy).

    If you aren't an Ohioan, or hate OSU, dip the ball all the way into the chocolate, covering it all (sigh.... if you must...). Lay each dipped ball on waxed paper. Chill again. Keep in cool place till Christmas.

  2. #2
    Registered User SwirlyThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    This is a good treat to make when you're cooking for someone who eats gluten free, btw.

  3. #3
    Registered User Nishu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Michigan fans are actually prohibited by law from eating this particular food. They can go eat chocolate dipped brussell sprouts instead.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Registered User Nishu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,375
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Btw, if you haven't made these before and you don't can, you might end up playing seasonal game known as "where the heck do I find paraffin?" I play it every year, and just finished a game of it with a stranger in the commissary who was shopping for his wife. Paraffin wax is in the grocery store with the canning goods. It's labeled "gulf wax." Google it before you go so you know what it looks like.

    Also, Go Bucks!

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,428
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    They are so yummy...... and easy to make ...

  7. #6
    Registered User cab54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,367
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    Btw, if you haven't made these before and you don't can, you might end up playing seasonal game known as "where the heck do I find paraffin?" I play it every year, and just finished a game of it with a stranger in the commissary who was shopping for his wife. Paraffin wax is in the grocery store with the canning goods. It's labeled "gulf wax." Google it before you go so you know what it looks like.

    Also, Go Bucks!
    Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that, Nishu. And--sometimes asking the folks in the grocery store gets you a dumbfounded 'deer in headlights' daze. They usually have no idea where it is. Better to ask an old lady in the store....like ME! LOL!

  8. #7
    Registered User cab54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,367
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oheoh's momma View Post
    They are so yummy...... and easy to make ...
    I listed them as 'hard' just because, if you're a novice candy maker, the TIME taken to roll this all into balls and then dip can be surprising and daunting. I consider it a labor of love, since my sons love them so much. I make 4 batches every year (minimum).

    But it is not a 'fast' recipe, not really that 'hard' though.

  9. #8
    Registered User cab54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,367
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwirlyThing View Post
    This is a good treat to make when you're cooking for someone who eats gluten free, btw.
    Good point, I never though about that. I bet you're always on the lookout.....

  10. #9
    Registered User moasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    These are great; my mom has been making them since I was little and we always just called them Peanut Butter balls (we are in California, so nothing against Buckeyes at all ). That also means we just dip the whole thing, which I think is easier.

    Our variation adds Rice Krispies to the pb, sugar, butter mixture. It lightens the texture a bit and adds some nice crunch.

    I only use a bit of paraffin, so I have had the same box for probably 10 years.

    I agree that they are easy to make, but time consuming. I have made so many over the years, that I am pretty fast at it, once I get into the rhythm.

    A hot plate or electric skillet is a good way to keep the chocolate melted consistently through all the dipping. I have found the easiest dipping utentils are 2 small spoons, rather than toothpicks.

    Happy candy making!

    Kara

  11. #10
    Registered User cab54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,367
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moasmom View Post
    These are great; my mom has been making them since I was little and we always just called them Peanut Butter balls (we are in California, so nothing against Buckeyes at all ). That also means we just dip the whole thing, which I think is easier.

    Our variation adds Rice Krispies to the pb, sugar, butter mixture. It lightens the texture a bit and adds some nice crunch.

    I only use a bit of paraffin, so I have had the same box for probably 10 years.

    I agree that they are easy to make, but time consuming. I have made so many over the years, that I am pretty fast at it, once I get into the rhythm.

    A hot plate or electric skillet is a good way to keep the chocolate melted consistently through all the dipping. I have found the easiest dipping utentils are 2 small spoons, rather than toothpicks.

    Happy candy making!

    Kara
    I have tried various dipper methods, even bought different dippers at the store. I think if you dip them into buckeyes, it's easier to do toothpicks. If you're covering the whole ball with chocolate....not so much. The two spoons sound like a good idea!

  12. #11
    Registered User cheryl65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    54
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Yum! I love these. Another thing you can do is make the peanut butter balls and freeze them, then dip at a later date if you are short on time. The frozen peanut butter balls are just as tasty without the chocolate as with in my opinion lol.

  13. #12
    Registered User moasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cab54 View Post
    I have tried various dipper methods, even bought different dippers at the store. I think if you dip them into buckeyes, it's easier to do toothpicks. If you're covering the whole ball with chocolate....not so much. The two spoons sound like a good idea!
    I have no doubt that is true. But I am going to continue to make my lazy version of non-Buckeyes. You know that we do things our own way in California. We even have our own species of buckeye out here.

    Kara
    Last edited by moasmom; 12-20-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: delete picture

  14. #13
    Registered User Natalia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    151
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    We love these PB balls.
    But....i do not use paraffin, and i dont use chocolate chips either. Milk chocolate melts set up very nicely and i like the taste better than chocolate chips..

    I have tried all the dipping methods too and my favorite by far is a fork and a steak knife. The skinnier and longer the tines, the better. Once dipped, pick up the ball by placing the fork underneath. Whack bottom of fork firmly against side of bowl so excess chocolate drips back into bowl. Then scrape bottom of fork with knife and take very tip of knife to scoot ball onto waxed paper. Using this method, even the bottom of the balls look beautiful! They coat beautifully without wasting any dipping chocolate.

Similar Threads

  1. peanut butter
    By marlas1too in forum Stockpiling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
  2. Peanut butter balls need help
    By ladytoysdream in forum Candy making
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 07:10 AM
  3. Peanut butter balls
    By Michelle in forum Candy making
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
  4. Having fun making peanut butter balls
    By Mom23boys in forum Food for Kids
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •