First Attempt at "Hot" Canning
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default First Attempt at "Hot" Canning

Made my first attempt at canning tomatoes yesterday. There's a couple things I need to improve next time. I miscalculated on how much tomatoes I was going to end up with. Before I do my next batch, I need to boil them some more to get rid more of the juice, I think. And make sure I take care of the air bubbles.

Good thing: I think I got a good solid seal. They don't pop when I push on them.

Ok, my question is: Is it normal for tomatoes to separate during the canning process? I ended up with clear-ish liquid at the bottom when I pulled the cans out of the water. Now they're pretty much remixed.

Is that normal?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Good thing: I think I got a good solid seal. They don't pop when I push on them.
    Sounds like you got a good seal.

I think, even more important that taking care of the air bubbles, is making sure the top of the jar is clean. Keep a special 'something for wiping' handy and wipe each one off before putting the lid on..........

As far as how much juice remains, this is something you learn with experience and watching them while cooking. You learn what your family likes.
    IE: I don't like 'real runny' salsa so I boil it down quite a bit............this takes time.

Here is a 'blurb' from an article about separating tomatoes that might help........

The solution is to leave tomatoes whole or in large chunks (do not chop). Heat before chopping or juicing to minimize the separation.

Here is the full article:

Questions about Canning Tomatoes- (University of Illinois Extension)

I seldom just can regular tomatoes......right out of the garden........I season them.........and most of mine are made into salsa as it makes it a wonderful item to cook with..........not just for dipping. They are seasoned and ready to go! I use it for everything..........soups, topping on meat, you name it!
    If I can't decide what to do with something my answer is.............toss a jar of salsa on it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. It seems they're no longer separated once they cooled down. It was just weird to see the separation when I pulled them out of the canner. I think I may also use my 'smaller' pot (smaller in width, not height) for my next attempt at canning. And I won't mash all of the tomatoes up, like you mentioned. The recipe I was following vaguely did mention only to mash up the first few tomatoes in order to get some juices in the bottom of the pan. The rest of the tomatoes will release their juices as they get thrown in and mixed up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awesome.....nice job!